What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Walsh >>>>>> RAIDERS in '08'

shane1970

Juniors
Scott SATTLER in last nights post game show said he believes that Luke has/is/just about to be signed by the Canberra Raiders for the remainder of THIS season due to their ever growing list of injured players.
I haven't seen/read/heard any confirmation of this but maybe!!!!!!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
how is that possible if he needed to be signed prior to June 30 to be properly registered, have they changed the rule?

Karmawave

Bench
Free up ALOT of salary cap for next season.

I imagine the Knights have been on the phone trying to sell him off to the Raiders big time :lol:

Karmawave

Bench
how is that possible if he needed to be signed prior to June 30 to be properly registered, have they changed the rule?

From my understanding, he was signed and registered before June 30 - with the NRL, which means if teams agree to the release/swap after June 30, it can be ratified easily enough?

Possibly the amount of first grade games played in the relative year comes into it too?

shane1970

Juniors
Sattler said that the Raiders were given dispensation for their MASSIVE injury toll by the NRL, so I would imagine that they could get around it that way.

roopy

Referee
We may have released him a while ago - he hasn't played for us for over a month i think - so maybe that counts.

Karmawave

Bench
You might be spot on there Roopy.

Be interesting to see if his last game for the Knights was earlier than June 30.

If so, he could essentially be a free agent, and with the Raiders getting special dispensation from the NRL, he could be merely seen as a free agent pick up as opposed to seeking/getting a release from another NRL team.

shane1970

Juniors
Along with the dispensation for their injury toll I think the NRL have also wanted to assist the Raiders for their stance with the Todd Carney saga.

shane1970

Juniors
Apparently the other option was to bring back Michael Dobson from the super league due to his team being out of the semi finals race but that option has been 'hit on the head' so to speak by the Raiders so I see 3 options - another young halfback already at the Raiders, which wouldn't be good leading into the semi's, sticking with Tongue at halfback, or getting Walshy.

Adsy

Juniors
If Walshy is picked up to play the semis for the Raiders that is one of the highest pressure things ive ever heard of.

Hasn't played FG for 12 months and his first game for a new club could be an elimination final.

Information I received tonight from the Members meeting was that the reason Walshy hasn,t been playing is due to the fact that he had a hairline fracture and may be playing this weekend. (no mention of him going to Canberra at all)

orochimaru

Juniors
Damn, I liked luke walsh, reckoned he performed well with mullen last in year in most games. who is our 2nd string halfback if dureau is out and now that bailey is going to manly?

roopy

Referee
Damn, I liked luke walsh, reckoned he performed well with mullen last in year in most games. who is our 2nd string halfback if dureau is out and now that bailey is going to manly?
Number one is Scotty.
Number two is Mullo.
Number 3 is Kidley (Rogers at 5/8).
After that you are looking at Matt Sharp, then the Stigmeister with Karawana - but by then we are pulling our hair out.

So firstgrader in contention for the halves - Dureau, Mullo, Kidley, Rogers, Karawana - rookies = Sharp, Stig, and maybe Wyborn and Brown and Hurrell if we are completely desperate, but if we ever start talking about Burraston it is time to consider forfieting.

aussies1st

Staff member
Information I received tonight from the Members meeting was that the reason Walshy hasn,t been playing is due to the fact that he had a hairline fracture and may be playing this weekend. (no mention of him going to Canberra at all)

Hes not even named in the Canberra side and certainly no speculation in the papers about him moving to Canberra.

Boxer

Juniors
It would be a crying shame if Walshy went anywhere.
I've watched him play for a few years now & I believe he deserves a chance to show just how good he is. His pairing with Jarrod Mullen was always exciting to watch. His time in 1st grade in 07 gave an insight of that. He just needed to increase his body size & his time on the field with a new team.
Because of injury & illness that has not happened this year.
Hopefully it can happen in 09.

Time to release Walshy. Scotty has made it clear he wants to be our number 7 and the home games against melbourne and Manly have been won off his boot. Dureau has the class to be a rep halfback. He is better than Orford any day. Very much reminds me of Noddy as a kid.

perverse

Referee
Time to release Walshy. Scotty has made it clear he wants to be our number 7 and the home games against melbourne and Manly have been won off his boot. Dureau has the class to be a rep halfback. He is better than Orford any day. Very much reminds me of Noddy as a kid.
we're been trying to release him for the past 6 months. no-one wants him.. and he'd be a fool to leave considering he's getting paid first grade wages to play reserve grade football.

Latest posts