What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lurch

fizman

Bench
Many moons ago when Theo Burgess was at the Sharks, I had the pleasure and privilege of being one of the many number Sharks "Scouts" with eyes on the ground when I was living in QLD.

Here's the main point I learnt through that experience, it's one thing to recommend a player that has the quality to play NRL football, it is a completely different conversation around not only being able to play at that level but being tough enough to play a full season.

I will say though, this was back in the day before there were NRL squads of 30 players. A little known fact is that I coached Quade Cooper and recommended him to the Sharks. They just didn't think he could cope with the riggers of Rugby League - to this day we will never know.

There were some fantastic players from QLD that were never genuinely considered because the Club didn't think they had the ability to play out a full season.

Tom has only played in 34 NRL Games - He is absolutely nowhere near his peak as an NRL Prop. He needs more time to grow and develop.

My biggest concerns are Blayke Brailey (125 Games) Jack Williams (114 Games) Braden Hamlen-Uele (105 games) Will Kennedy (96 Games) Toby Rudolf (91 Games) - These guys need to start showing more with their levels of experience.

I could pick players from other Clubs who have less games, but are playing much better. My biggest concern is Brayke Brailey, when you compare his 125 games to other Hookers he doesn't stand out in any way shape or form. Here are some other games played for Hookers > Dani Levi (131 Games) Jeremy Marshall-King (129 Games) Lachlan Croker (114 Games) Reece Robson (109 Games) Harry Grant (91 Games).

@fizman the club seems to have been all in on Brailey for a few years ridiculously. They haven't even bothered having someone to put any sort of pressure on him in reserve grade by simply having Berrell there for so long who we all know is nowhere near a first grader.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Speaking of hookers, the Sharks were in for Jamie Humphries but he's decided to go to Souths. I suppose Berrell is getting shown the door. Jamie is barely ahead of Taj and Sam in terms of games in the NSWRL so it's interested we went for him. He is actually a half converting to a rake BTW.

DJDL

Bench
My biggest concerns are Blayke Brailey (125 Games) Jack Williams (114 Games) Braden Hamlen-Uele (105 games) Will Kennedy (96 Games) Toby Rudolf (91 Games) - These guys need to start showing more with their levels of experience.

Agreed.
I’ve been meaning to post something similar for a while now.

There’s been much talk about the number of players we have around that 100 game mark, and how beneficial it could be once they’re all there.

While there’s some wisdom in that, for me 100 games in you pretty much know what a player has to offer. I can’t think of too many players having breakout seasons that deep into their careers.

By that stage, if you’re not at rep level, or consistently in the conversation, you never will be and it’s time to start looking to upgrade.

Top of the list for me is Brails.
For such a crucial position, and for someone who started with so much promise, to be 120-odd games in and still offer so little, and regularly taking the wrong option in big moments, tells me all I need to know. He’s expendable.

I really wouldn’t be too upset to see the club move on from all of those you mention over the next 12-18 months.

The past month or so I feel I’ve constantly had the words of Opes ringing in my ears: “I’ll never win a comp with these blokes”.

shaggs

Coach
Speaking of hookers, the Sharks were in for Jamie Humphries but he's decided to go to Souths. I suppose Berrell is getting shown the door. Jamie is barely ahead of Taj and Sam in terms of games in the NSWRL so it's interested we went for him. He is actually a half converting to a rake BTW.
Taj Is mud.

The best and most consistent player in that flegg team is a half, that became a fullback, then a utility and now the hooker.
They looks loads better when he is on the field.

It more 80 games is when you know, I am not a fan of Gus but he has been on that 80 games is when fully experienced.
There is also exceptions to the rule.
Our 1-5 all except Iro over that
Hynes as well
Our middles
Rudolf Brailey Kaufisi
Edge Nikora
Lock McInness
Bench Talakai, Williams, Uele

That is a lot of players now in that place, some are not improving and will soon start to go backwards

carinashark

First Grade
Started with so much promise’. Sums it up for me and BB. Also the game has changed . I think hooker is a position that no longer needs a small player. A tough player, with a bit of weight and a short kicking game , Sifa? It’s a good point ,players of that experience are starting to go backwards. I would put Nicho back to fullback , DA to 5/8. Kennedy needs rest up for the finals, right. Stonestreet and Calhoughn if they are fit need more NRL time . Also McInnes has become very easy to tackle , small guys like him should not be used as battering rams. Sifa is our only player that can look like he is going to bust through.

Chimp

Bench
None of the pigs (or backs when clearing territory) are helped by the fact we send them in as 1 off the ruck and as a Lone Ranger every single time - there’s no deception, no dummy runners, no foil, no support runner…. Nothing at all to take any flies away from them - It’s so easily telegraphed by the defence.

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
None of the pigs (or backs when clearing territory) are helped by the fact we send them in as 1 off the ruck and as a Lone Ranger every single time - there’s no deception, no dummy runners, no foil, no support runner…. Nothing at all to take any flies away from them - It’s so easily telegraphed by the defence.

Agree with this. It's so obvious.

And it doesn't help that at least once per set whoevers hitting it up catches the ball standing still due to a shit pass or indecision so gets met before they've got past the ruck. Or run straight back into the markers