What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's Favourite Movie - 2015 Edition

vvvrulz

Coach
It's a shame because they had to opportunity to make Ultron something different, but just went with the generic option.
They did give him a purpose, but he was just underwritten. That happens when you have too many major characters (and introduce even more throughout the movie - seriously did we even need Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver or Vision in this?)

Yeah exactly, reminded me a lot of what they did (or didn't do) with Ronan in GOTG.
Interesting villain, reasonably well set up... and then nothing.

They didn't even bother doing much with most of the main cast in the Avengers, as you say just way too many to follow or care about now.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
IMDB overrates the crap out of the recent Marvel movies.

You'll find when all the hype dies down, so does the ratings.

Mad Max: Fury Road took a horrendous nosedive in the last few weeks. As did some Dark Knight movie.

Initially, multiple fanboys will pump up the ratings with multiple accounts, and when the general public (in their 10s of thousands) cast their vote, see the rating plummet.

T.S Quint

Coach
IMDB ratings are not really worth taking much notice of a lot of the time.
Anyone can put a rating on for a movie. Many times people rate a movie high/low before it's even released.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
There's always Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, if they are more to your liking.

IMDB is way bigger than these two so I give it more credibility.

T.S Quint

Coach
Rotten Tomatoes is a better gauge of whether a movie is good or not.
I've never actually checked out Metacritic.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Here's a comparison between IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic for three well known and highly rated movies.

Mad Max: Fury Road - IMDB - 8.6/10 - 151317 votes
Rotten Tomatoes - 8.8/10 - 70432 votes
Metacritic - 8.8/10 - 1445 votes

The Dark Knight - IMDB - 9.0/10 - 1432905 votes
Rotten Tomatoes - 8.8/10 - 1816625 votes
Metacritic - 8.9/10 - 4075 votes

Shawshank Redemption - IMDB - 9.3/10 - 1460831 votes
Rotten Tomatoes - 8.8/10 - 877938 votes
Metacritic - 9.0/10 - 935(!) votes

With the exception of TDK, IMDB outweighs Rotten Tomatoes vote wise by quite a margin, while Metacritic is a stone motherless last.

The ratings aren't that much different, but you'll find a much greater discrepancy between the three websites with considerably lesser known movies.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't take IMDB or Metacritic nearly as seriously RT. Any idiot can vote on the first two. Idiots made Justin Bieber famous :p

Update coming once I'm no longer in China. VPN blocks Google Drive.

alien

Referee
Building up the tension?

Excited.jpeg

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm in Africa for the next two months. I'm at the mercy of dodgy Tanzanian Internet, but I'll do what I can.

redvscotty

First Grade
Damn, wish I had of seen this to get my vote in.

My top 3 are:

1. The Truman Show
2. Jurassic Park
3. SW: Return of the Jedi

Not neccessarily in that order.

Others would have included:

Hot Tub Time Machine
Old School

Misanthrope

Staff member
#35 - #31

#35 - Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) - 111 points from three voters

Starring: Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Nick Moran, Jason Statham, Vinnie Jones, and Sting.,
Director: Guy Ritchie.
Writers: Guy Ritchie.
Awards: N/A

The film that launched the directorial career of Guy Ritchie and introduced the world (for better or worse) to both Vinnie Jones and Jason Statham, Lock Stock is a cult favourite due to its witty dialogue, occasional brutality, and quirky crime caper storyline that has become a trademark of Ritchie.

A huge commercial success that made back close to 28 times its budget, Lock Stock features Ritchie's now well known penchant for witty dialogue, complicated plots that weave together, and the ugly British criminal world. What other film can boast a scene in which a man is beaten to death with a dildo?

#34 - Predator (1987) - 120 points from 5 voters

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Shane Black, and Jesse Ventura.
Director: John McTiernan.
Writers: Jim & John Thomas.
Awards: N/A

One of Arnold's most beloved action films out of the 80s, this gory spectacle introduced the world to the eponymous 'Predator', an alien perfectly designed for hunting and killing its prey. Pitted against 'Dutch' and his group of highly trained commandos, the film is balls to the wall action from start to finish and features one of Arnold's most memorable displays of bad-assery.

The film would go on to spawn two sequels, Predator 2 (meh) and Predators (not bad), as well as a pair of woeful crossover films pitting Predators against Aliens.

One of the best known and well liked action movies out of the 80s, the film is also features a cameo from Shane Black, the man who would go on to write and/or direct classic action films such as Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Iron Man 3. He is also slated to direct an upcoming Predator sequel and the Hollywood adaptation of popular Japanese anime, Death Note.

#33 - Aliens (1986) - 122.5 points from five voters

Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Bill Paxton, Michael Beihn, Paul Reiser, and Lance Henriksen.
Director: James Cameron.
Writers: James Cameron.
Awards: Academy Awards for Sound Editing and Visual Effects.

Coming in just ahead of Predator comes another 80s science fiction action block-buster, as James Cameron took the surreal suspense of Ridley Scott's 1979 Alien and turned the franchise into a suspenseful, violent action film that was a huge success.

The plot follows the original film's Ellen Ripley as she is tasked with leading a team of colonial marines to re-establish contact with a colony. Predictably, it all goes to shit and the death count starts to rise rapidly.

One of the best science fiction and action flicks not only of the 80s, but of all time. It went on to spawn a pair of subpar sequels and a pair of awful crossover films with the Predator franchise.

More recently, its prequel Prometheus was met with commercial and critical success.

#32 - Pitch Perfect (2012) - 128 points from four voters

Starring: Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson.
Director: Jason Moore.
Writers: Kay Cannon.
Awards: Various musical awards including AMA Award for Best Soundtrack and MTV Movie Award for Best Musical Moment.

Proof positive that women will ruin anything, this 2012 music comedy about an acapella group comes in ahead of some of the greatest films of all time.

To its credit, Pitch Perfect is an inoffensive and even enjoyable little musical comedy that has since spawned a highly successful sequel.

Next!

#31 - About Time (2013) - 130 points from four voters.

Starring: Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy, Tom Hollander, and Margot Robbie.
Director: Richard Curtis.
Writers: Richard Curtis.
Awards: N/A.

From the director of Love, Actually comes this film about romance, time travel, and Rachel McAdams' inability to resist anybody who has come back in time. Seriously, this girl has a type.

In all seriousness, About Time is an enjoyable enough romantic film that riddles itself with plot holes but does come to a heart-warming and life affirming enough conclusion.

It has Bill Nighy in it too, which makes it pretty alright.

You'll be pleased to know that this is the last inclusion championed by female voters alone.

Latest posts