What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyhkan King-Togia

SnowDragon

Juniors
Ok, so 18th man for this weeks game is Lyhkan King-Togia. Can’t find a lot online, but I gather he is a 19yr old number 6. A few videos online make him look good, and Flanno must think so if he is getting the Recognition as #18

anyone got some more information or summaries?

seems small and a little nuggety for a 19yr old? Or ?

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Ok, so 18th man for this weeks game is Lyhkan King-Togia. Can’t find a lot online, but I gather he is a 19yr old number 6. A few videos online make him look good, and Flanno must think so if he is getting the Recognition as #18

I am Lyhkan his name, thats for sure.

justadragon

Bench

He hovers between fullback and 5/8, has been going quite well in KOE. Mind You I dont know if putting him up against the storm just in case would be appropriate, but Flanno knows best,

TheRev

First Grade
A few bullet points:
o Been earmarked for a while.. even played a little reserve grade last year.. and we let Herring go who was a very similar player to him (but a few years in front), which indicates our eggs are in his basket.
o Since the SG Ball season ended, he's been one of the only kids to get regular reserve grade time.. hes 3rd in the heirachy for the 5/8 jersey (Marshke & Brown ahead), but since we have no fullback, they stuck him there and hes been serviceable, though its not his longterm position.
o He's a 5/8.. he runs into space and is a real threat himself, and if not him he will throw a select ball for someone else..
o In SG Ball he was clearly too good for the grade, Reed would feed it to LKT.. and LKT goes himself or passes to Buchanan, it was good night for the opposition... triple threat.
o However Reserve grade is not like SG Ball.. opposition defence comes up fast, there isnt the big gaps.. hes still good.. hes still a threat running.. I've seen playmaking both sides (because hes fullback lately).. but he doesnt really break the line and pull away like he did in lower grades, doesnt seem quick enough for that..

In summary, of the young backs, I think he is the closest to 1st grade by a fair way.. and I think we are trying to bring him on asap... but hes still a 19yr old who needs more time at reserve grade level.. you would pick Marshke over him very easily if ur life depended on a win... he has ~6 more years of reserve grade experience.

But im rly looking forward to seeing him do a pre-season with 1st grade (I think he did it last year too), im curious if his body is optimised or if he might end up a little leaner/faster yet.. not rly sure how that works.. its probably the 1 thing missing for me.. he can make up for it in other areas though.

Harry Bath

Juniors
A few bullet points:
o Been earmarked for a while.. even played a little reserve grade last year.. and we let Herring go who was a very similar player to him (but a few years in front), which indicates our eggs are in his basket.
o Since the SG Ball season ended, he's been one of the only kids to get regular reserve grade time.. hes 3rd in the heirachy for the 5/8 jersey (Marshke & Brown ahead), but since we have no fullback, they stuck him there and hes been serviceable, though its not his longterm position.
o He's a 5/8.. he runs into space and is a real threat himself, and if not him he will throw a select ball for someone else..
o In SG Ball he was clearly too good for the grade, Reed would feed it to LKT.. and LKT goes himself or passes to Buchanan, it was good night for the opposition... triple threat.
o However Reserve grade is not like SG Ball.. opposition defence comes up fast, there isnt the big gaps.. hes still good.. hes still a threat running.. I've seen playmaking both sides (because hes fullback lately).. but he doesnt really break the line and pull away like he did in lower grades, doesnt seem quick enough for that..

In summary, of the young backs, I think he is the closest to 1st grade by a fair way.. and I think we are trying to bring him on asap... but hes still a 19yr old who needs more time at reserve grade level.. you would pick Marshke over him very easily if ur life depended on a win... he has ~6 more years of reserve grade experience.

But im rly looking forward to seeing him do a pre-season with 1st grade (I think he did it last year too), im curious if his body is optimised or if he might end up a little leaner/faster yet.. not rly sure how that works.. its probably the 1 thing missing for me.. he can make up for it in other areas though.
Seems to be only the dragons who wont bring 19 year old players into first grade, that's how we lost Saab, Robson, Bostock ,Garrick ,AFB and Cook before them

TheRev

First Grade
Seems to be only the dragons who wont bring 19 year old players into first grade, that's how we lost Saab, Robson, Bostock ,Garrick ,AFB and Cook before them
I hear ya and we have struggled in this area...but if these kids (LKT or Buchanan) were looking incredible in reserve grade.. then its a different story.. but they are sort of finding their feet at best.. certainly not dominating.. so its not like Flanno is holding them back.. the best ones step up and keep dominating.. and some just need more time to mature.. but most wont make it.

Couchmans did debut early.. and I think Tonga will play some 1st grade next year in the back half of the season (or sooner if lots of injuries).. Latu & Halangahu we will see more next year they are a bit younger but seem to be too good for their age-group.

The ones that we let go.. they all have their own story.. I mean AFB we had to sack, Bostock is the only one im annoyed about... cause he would have flown through to 1st grade.. Robson it was the McInnes issue.. Saab I couldnt stand him... but perhaps in hindsight hes been better than I thought... Garrick was average at the time and there was another centre I forget his name, Cook v Quinlan.. was a bit like Wishart v Muhleissen in that they were 50/50 calls that in hindsight we did get wrong...

We will have to brace for a lot more 50/50 calls over coming years, we have a lot more kids coming through now from the Dragons & Steelers systems, all who will mature at different rates.. its impossible to pick the sure things.. we just have to keep those we think are the best risk to take.. and who arent trying to extort us in terms of salary... we dont know what goes on behind the scenes with these kids.. its not just dollar and cents like in supercoach.. there are all sorts of factors off the footy field that influence who we retain.

CozDragon

Juniors
This is really not accurate though,

Saab - Was in first grade, while it was reported it was the travel that caused his decision to leave he also had a very close bond with that Keith Titmuss that passed away, plus a few other players around that age he was close with.
Robson - We chose Mcinnes over him, at the time it made sense but he was still getting time, albeit short cameos for the most part. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Bostock - Fair enough, probably more to do with the coach then not getting first grade time.
Garrick - He was pretty average in the lower grades and was definitely not the stand out amongst all the other players in that team at the time. No one was really crying over him leaving when it happened.
AFB - It had nothing to do with being in first grade, we sacked him for an off field indiscretion which was warranted.
Cook - He was playing first grade intermittently with both us & dogs mostly at fullback or off the bench. It wasn't until he went to the bunnies that they gave him a proper shot at hooker & rest is history.

The other thing worth thinking about, during the time that all these players have excelled in their careers, would they have excelled under the guidance & leadership that we have had at the Dragons over those same years, I would think probably not.

TheRev

First Grade
The other thing worth thinking about, during the time that all these players have excelled in their careers, would they have excelled under the guidance & leadership that we have had at the Dragons over those same years, I would think probably not.
Yar I think coaching and guidance wasnt handled well for a long time.. Flanno I believe has had a chat with all the kids and bit of a plan for them.. I cant imagine Griffin doing that.. he didnt seem he had those man-management skills in him.

Ultimately the better first grade goes.. the more patient they will be to wait for their opportunities.. and if Robson had of held on 1 more year he would be our 1st grade hooker.. Bostock if we could of fended off Bennett.. ive no doubt he is a winger or centre for us now..

But I would suggest there is a bit more pain to come.. we are not out of the woods yet.

CozDragon

Juniors
Yar I think coaching and guidance wasnt handled well for a long time.. Flanno I believe has had a chat with all the kids and bit of a plan for them.. I cant imagine Griffin doing that.. he didnt seem he had those man-management skills in him.

Ultimately the better first grade goes.. the more patient they will be to wait for their opportunities.. and if Robson had of held on 1 more year he would be our 1st grade hooker.. Bostock if we could of fended off Bennett.. ive no doubt he is a winger or centre for us now..

But I would suggest there is a bit more pain to come.. we are not out of the woods yet.
Yeah I couldn't see Griffin doing that work.
In reality we have made some monumental stuff ups, imagine a dragons side that had Buderus & the Stewart brothers in there had the recruitment guys at the time not royally cocked up those moves.
We also had a chance to have Thurston as our 7 if we had been willing to offer him an actual contract and not just train and trial.

So I'd say the pain will be inevitable, it's just a matter of picking more correct than incorrect, which i have faith Flanno & the team we have overseeing the junior development and recruitment can do.

redVinme

Bench
This is really not accurate though,

Saab - Was in first grade, while it was reported it was the travel that caused his decision to leave he also had a very close bond with that Keith Titmuss that passed away, plus a few other players around that age he was close with.
Robson - We chose Mcinnes over him, at the time it made sense but he was still getting time, albeit short cameos for the most part. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Bostock - Fair enough, probably more to do with the coach then not getting first grade time.
Garrick - He was pretty average in the lower grades and was definitely not the stand out amongst all the other players in that team at the time. No one was really crying over him leaving when it happened.
AFB - It had nothing to do with being in first grade, we sacked him for an off field indiscretion which was warranted.
Cook - He was playing first grade intermittently with both us & dogs mostly at fullback or off the bench. It wasn't until he went to the bunnies that they gave him a proper shot at hooker & rest is history.

Don't need more than half a brain to see that Robson was going to be a star. That was an obvious miss unfortunately.

He was literally jnr NSW and Kangaroos and NSW player of the year. He was begging for a run.

Bostock absolutely should have been identified as having the right physical profile to keep at the club though.

Rest I agree with.

Hopefully they are more thoughtful with the next group coming through.

since77

Juniors
Don't need more than half a brain to see that Robson was going to be a star. That was an obvious miss unfortunately.

He was literally jnr NSW and Kangaroos and NSW player of the year. He was begging for a run.

Bostock absolutely should have been identified as having the right physical profile to keep at the club though.

Rest I agree with.

Hopefully they are more thoughtful with the next group coming through.
Yeah that was terrible. Move McInnes to lock and keep Robson. That was too simple for the idiots running our club to work out.

hewi

Bench
Yeah that was terrible. Move McInnes to lock and keep Robson. That was too simple for the idiots running our club to work out.

There was a love affair going on between the peanut and McInnes and we all know love is blind.