What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon prepared for hostile Eels fans.

Hellsy

Immortal
Well apparently he is going to be selected in the next Aussie game in Sydney, wonder who will miss out on a spot to let him in:
JAMIE Lyon will make a stunning return to the Test arena after coach Ricky Stuart all but guaranteed to unleash the star centre against Great Britain in a fortnight.

Lyon's return from the UK to the Kangaroos starting line-up is set to create further controversy after his inclusion in the squad met opposition.

The 24-year-old joined his Australian team-mates on Thursday in Melbourne but wasn't considered for selection in last night's clash with the Kiwis.

"We were mindful of giving him time to get over the extensive amount of travel he's covered over the last week,'' Stuart said. But he had a hitout at training and he looked very sharp.

"There's no concern with his fitness after playing in the Super League grand final last weekend. He looked very well and ran strongly with the rest of the team. He's in great shape.''

The Sunday Telegraph understands Lyon could take Mark Gasnier's position for the match against Great Britain, with the Dragons centre carrying a few niggling injuries.

However, Stuart said Lyon would be considered for other backline positions. Lyon played five Tests and five Origin games for NSW as a centre between 2001 and 2003 but has spent a lot of time at five-eighth in the UK.

"He's got the ability to play a number of positions,'' Stuart said. "We know he's capable of covering a few different roles for us. He has plenty of strike in attack right across the park.''

Asked who would make way for Lyon, a guarded Stuart replied: "We'll just watch his progress and his team-mates' progress and go from there.''

Lyon's team-mate Willie Mason faces an anxious wait after being told he must undergo a series of tests before being cleared to play again this year.

Mason withdrew from last night's clash with the Kiwis after suffering dizziness and headaches throughout the week due to a concussion suffered last Saturday night in Auckland.

The big prop was struggling yesterday, resting in his hotel room as the Kangaroos squad relaxed with a walkthrough at Melbourne's Batman Park.

Australian team doctor Hugh Hazzard said Mason would be ruled out of the Kangaroos' next match - on November 4 against Great Britain at Aussie Stadium - if he was showing signs of distress.

"I'll monitor his progress every day,'' Hazzard said. "We have a series of tests he must pass before he's allowed to play again.''

Hazzard said it was ultimately Mason who made the decision to miss last night's match. "He's a professional player, he knows there are more games to go so he just wanted to be 100 per cent in himself,'' Hazzard said.

"It all worked out easy for me in terms of making a decision because he knew what was best for his well-being.''

Hazzard remained confident Mason would recover in time for selection to play Great Britain. "There's no formula to speed up recovery, it all depends on the individual,'' Hazzard said.

"But he's certainly improving every day and I expect him to be 100 per cent by the time we have to play in two weeks.''
http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,20621358-5006066,00.html

nöyd

Staff member
I'll be at the game.

Look for me, I'll be selling these shirts ;-)

judas.jpg

nöyd

Staff member
Don't worry, there's been a few prototypes, featuring language far too colorful for young eyes.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hellsy said:
Well apparently he is going to be selected in the next Aussie game in Sydney, wonder who will miss out on a spot to let him in:

Ricky will drop his good buddy Justin I reckon :D

Hellsy

Immortal
TheParraboy said:
Ricky will drop his good buddy Justin I reckon :D

Thats what I was thinking...... you couldn't really drop wither of the wingers. Gaz didn't do much last game IMO... but I think he is more valuable that Hodges

strider

Post Whore
Gaz was very quiet - Hodges at least did something ... tho it seems maybe both gaz and hodges r carrying some injures

I suspect both will be rested, King and f**kwit (aka Lyon) will play in the centres and Hayne to the wing.

Parra Guru

Coach
the halves are yet to create anything for Gaz. They seem to always look for Hodges (maybe it's a QLD thing). Gaz has done well with limited ball. Hodges sideways running is going nowhere and his lack of pace will hopefully see him dropped if anyone.

this won't happen, but I'd love to see:

1. Hunt
2. Hayne
3. Gasnier
4. Inglis
5. King
6. Lockyer
7. Hornby

Gronk

Staff member
Agreed that Gaz had limited chances. It must have been heaven playing with Joey. Money balls to the chest all day.

strider

Post Whore
Parra Guru said:
the halves are yet to create anything for Gaz. They seem to always look for Hodges (maybe it's a QLD thing). Gaz has done well with limited ball. Hodges sideways running is going nowhere and his lack of pace will hopefully see him dropped if anyone.

this won't happen, but I'd love to see:

1. Hunt
2. Hayne
3. Gasnier
4. Inglis
5. King
6. Lockyer
7. Hornby

mmmm - I'd be happy with that backline - hornby and gaz could maybe get some combo happening - I'm a big hornby fan, he's great value

yy_cheng

Coach
Actually, it's more the Locky, Hunt show and with Berrigan and Smith as hookers, it's probably also why Hindy doesn't get the ball.

Hellsy

Immortal
strider said:
Gaz was very quiet - Hodges at least did something ... tho it seems maybe both gaz and hodges r carrying some injures

I suspect both will be rested, King and f**kwit (aka Lyon) will play in the centres and Hayne to the wing.

Yeah maybe... Gaz is always a favourite though and they are having a week off now as rest.

bartman

Immortal
Lyon will get a run against GB since he knows his opposition centres games quite well. Since we are two for two the result isn't vital and it's a chance for Ricky to try some different combinations, so he can work out what to go with in the Final.