What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon Struggle far from over (Canb, Saints, WT)

Eddie.

Bench
RUNAWAY Parramatta centre Jamie Lyon is being shopped around to rival NRL clubs at an asking price of $300,000 a season with both St George Illawarra and Canberra approached to sign the former Test star.

Lyon has rotated through three managers five times in the course of the past month with his uncle and former Penrith player Mick Smith currently looking after his affairs.

Smith is understood to have sounded out Dragons coach Nathan Brown along with officials in Canberra about Lyon joining their organisations in 2005.

St George Illawarra are yet to officially approach Parramatta about the potential switch, which would come with a $150,000 release fee to be paid to the Eels, while the Raiders have been in contact with Denis Fitzgerald.

The amount of money Lyon is seeking combined with the release fee from Parramatta would mean his next club has to pay about $750,000 to get him on a two-year deal. :(
Canberra were understood to be interested when contacted by Smith a fortnight ago but have heard nothing since and are far from confident about luring Lyon.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce has also confirmed the joint venture has registered interest in the one-time NSW Origin flyer, who is now playing in the Group 4 country rugby league competition with Wee Waa.

"I rang Parramatta and Denis Fitzgerald told me he was happy for us to talk to him but he's swapped managers a couple of times so he's been hard to get hold of," Noyce said. :roll:

"I don't think at this stage there will be anything happening."
Parramatta chief executive Fitzgerald also granted Penrith permission to talk with Lyon but has so far refused Manly the same privilege.

Sea Eagles executive director Paul Cummings contacted Fitzgerald over the matter last week but was told the northern peninsula club would not be allowed to open talks.

Lyon has changed managers on numerous occasions over the past month swapping from Allan Gainey to his uncle Smith, then to Wayne Beavis, back to Gainey and back to Smith again.

He was with Beavis for only three days.

Under the terms of his contract with Parramatta, Lyon has to give Gainey, his manager at the time he signed the deal, 6.5 per cent of any earnings he makes until the contract ends in October 2006.

This means Gainey is entitled to seek a portion of Lyon's earnings should he switch clubs even though he is no longer his manager.

Lyon walked out on Parramatta after just one game this season citing homesickness but a letter signed by him began to circulate shortly after claiming he left because he wasn't enjoying his football.

He returned to the Eels after a month to visit some teammates where half a dozen senior players from Parramatta asked him to explain what was going on in his head.

It is understood the players asked Lyon to look them in the eye and tell them his leaving Parramatta had nothing to do with coach Brian Smith.

Davester

Juniors
F*CKING HELL!...we've been f*cked around with. This was too good to be true...just after we get the news that he makes his decision if he goes to tigers or not...this comes in! :x ...so much for our hopes, the articles and all that...all down the drain!

no need to wait for any news....looks like we wont get him

Unless...Daily Telegraph are talking sh*t which I doubt...

vlad

juniors
no surprises here . It's the manager's job to get as many parties as possible interested enough to put in a bid so he can squeeze the maximum $ he can out of the next contract .

There's nothing in the article that says St George have shown any interest or that they have approval from Fitzgerald either .

Canberra have shown interest but have heard nothing for 2 weeks .

To me it still looks like the Tigers are the only option for Lyon and the manager is trying to make it look like a 3-way auction .

Swampdonkey

Juniors
I don't think we should touch him at that price.

They could buy 2 or 3 more good standard first graders for that price. The rest of their recruitment this year has been good just like last year, I don't see them doing something stupid like forking out 300K a year for someone with a questionable history.

I think sanity will prevail and we will realise that we don't need another centre at that price.....

Famous1

Juniors
Swampdonkey said:
I don't think we should touch him at that price.

They could buy 2 or 3 more good standard first graders for that price. The rest of their recruitment this year has been good just like last year, I don't see them doing something stupid like forking out 300K a year for someone with a questionable history.

I think sanity will prevail and we will realise that we don't need another centre at that price.....
he is worth every cent, he is a game breaker, lifts for occasions, has experience behind him. sure we can go every year and be a fringe top 8 side or we can lift that level and go a little bit further, 2005. The sky is the limit for the tigers cubs, established stars and the year benji dominates NRL, and we'll be forgetting about Andrew " Bucketarse " Johns. LoL

Palms

Juniors
I dont think we need 2 or 3 more good standard first graders personally. We have a whole team full of GOOD first graders but it's those extra 2 or 3 first graders who are above the average that we are lacking ie roosters, bulldogs etc and until we snare some players of Lyons' class we wont press for a title which is ultimately wat we want!

Swampdonkey

Juniors
I don't totally disagree with you. The other night when I looked on here and read that Lyon was going to sign with us on Friday I was ecstatic. But I have thought about it since, while I would be happy if he played for us, I look back to the Tigers 89 side, how many superstars did they sign to get them there? If I recall correctly they were all Tigers juniors.

Same with the Panthers last year. You copuld argue that Preston Campbell was a valuable purchase, which I totally agree with, but they didn't pay anywhere near 300K a season for him.

Glennb

Juniors
Swampdonkey said:
I look back to the Tigers 89 side, how many superstars did they sign to get them there? If I recall correctly they were all Tigers juniors.

Just from memory....

Gary Jack - Illawarra junior, signed from Wests,
Steve O'Brien - Bought from Canterbury
James Grant - Signed from Union
Can't remember the other centre
Ross Conlon - Signed from Canterbury
Mick Neil - Wests Junior
Gary Freeman - Kiwi
Wayne Pearce - BALMAIN junior
Siro - Balmain Junior
Bruce Maguire - Not a Balmain junior, came from the bush, originally Vic
Roach - Illawarra junior
Benny - Balmain junior
Hemsley - not sure

Hardwick - Balmain I think
Brooks - Country boy
Pobjie - Westst Junior, bought him I think from Souths

Not that many Balmain juniors, more than now obviously.

Glenn B

jirskyr

Juniors
Wasn't Timmy Brasher the other centre? He was a Tigers junior I'm sure.

Ross Conlon was also a Wests Junior I think. Its funny that the 89 team had a good mixture of Tigers and Wests juniors...a premonition perhaps?

Bench
Ross Conlon came from Murwulenbah{spelling wrong} to Wests.
Also Swamp donkey Priddis was brought into the Panthers squad at a considerable price,and won the grand final for them.So yes I say we do need the above average first graders,buy Lyon I say.

Glennb

Juniors
jirskyr said:
Wasn't Timmy Brasher the other centre? He was a Tigers junior I'm sure.

How could I have forgotten Timmy. Burwood boy, definite Balmain Jnr.
jirskyr said:
Ross Conlon was also a Wests Junior I think. Its funny that the 89 team had a good mixture of Tigers and Wests juniors...a premonition perhaps?

I was lucky enough to be invited the year before last to the Grand Final Luncheon as a guest of some business clients. Sat with Steve Ghosn and a heap of Wests stars (I am a Balmain Boy). Had a great time and it was at this lunch that it was affirmed for me that the combination of Balmain & Wests traditions and cultures is almost a perfect fit. The Wests guys and Balmain guys had so much respect for each other and fit together so well.

That is until the end of the afternoon....we were waiting for a Taxi to take us to Balmain Leagues Club, I was with Steve Ghosn. The Wests Ashfield mini bus pulled up and asked Steve if he wanted a lift back to Wests Ashfield. Steve basically said no thanks, I am going back to Balmain Leagues with these guys and the guys on the bus said no worries, we'll give you a lift...so we all pile on the bus, including a couple of Balmain/WT players like Troy Woz....then all of a sudden this old guy sitting behind me who was pissed wakes up and wants to know why the hell the bus is stopping at Balmain Leagues. I told him to calm down and wake up to himself and he wants to FIGHT ME! This guy was flat out standing up and was about 70 in the shade and he wants to fight, kept pushing me in the back ..lol. Steve Ghosn told him to go back to sleep. We get of the bus and I ask him who he is, turns out he was a director of Wests Football Club. Bloody hilarious.

Ended the night sitting on a table with Benny Elias, Steve Ghosn and Scotty Gale. Really glad I got that opportunity.

Glenn B

Swampdonkey

Juniors
Glennb said:
Swampdonkey said:
I look back to the Tigers 89 side, how many superstars did they sign to get them there? If I recall correctly they were all Tigers juniors.

Just from memory....

Gary Jack - Illawarra junior, signed from Wests,
Steve O'Brien - Bought from Canterbury
James Grant - Signed from Union
Can't remember the other centre
Ross Conlon - Signed from Canterbury
Mick Neil - Wests Junior
Gary Freeman - Kiwi
Wayne Pearce - BALMAIN junior
Siro - Balmain Junior
Bruce Maguire - Not a Balmain junior, came from the bush, originally Vic
Roach - Illawarra junior
Benny - Balmain junior
Hemsley - not sure

Hardwick - Balmain I think
Brooks - Country boy
Pobjie - Westst Junior, bought him I think from Souths

Not that many Balmain juniors, more than now obviously.

Glenn B

The players were not superstars when the Tigers signed them. That's my point.

I think that there are plenty of players with a stack of potential that would be running around in PL for the top teams who are looking for an opportunity. Look at some of the reserve and fringe first grade players that have come out of Parramatta and gone to other clubs in recent history. Ben Galea, Wade McKinnon, Adam Mogg, Willie Tonga, Pat Richards.....all players that would have been signed for next to nothing.

Lets pick up some PL + fringe first grade players from the Roosters, Bulldogs, Panthers and Toowoomba Clydesdales. The support players for the best in the premiership....

Latest posts