What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lyon to penrith?

half

Coach
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10338660-23214,00.html

Eels' edict on Lyon
August 4, 2004

PARRAMATTA are poised to shock rugby league by releasing runaway centre Jamie Lyon but only if he joins Penrith and not Manly.

The explosive development could lead to the Sea Eagles starting legal action against Parramatta for restraint of trade.

The Daily Telegraph understands Lyon would return to the NRL next season although the proposal is in its infancy.

Lyon walked out on Parramatta on March 16 this year and has played the past six months with his hometown club the Wee Waa Panthers in Group 4.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald has not officially met with Penrith over the possible deal but some senior Panthers managers are aware of the situation.

"We have agreed to give Jamie permission to speak with Penrith," Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald is holding discussions through Mick Kelly - a former Penrith player and also Lyon's uncle and secondary manager.

Kelly, who wants his nephew to join Penrith, spoke to Parramatta general manager of football Greg Mitchell yesterday.

The Eels would ask Penrith for a release fee.

There are, however, some concerns that Penrith may not be able to fit Lyon into their salary cap.

The possible signing of former Test player Lyon would be ideal for Penrith who lose 2003 grand final centres Ryan Girdler (retirement) and Paul Whatuira (Wests Tigers) at the end of the season.

It is understood Lyon was interested in joining Manly because of his friendship with former Parramatta official, now Manly recruitment officer, Noel Cleal.

This is understood to be the cause of tensions between the two clubs.

Fitzgerald was reluctant to discuss the Lyon drama last night but did say: "We were approached by Mick Kelly about Jamie joining Penrith. Jamie has said he didn't like city life but Penrith is a semi-rural area.

"We are only discussing the issue at this stage. We haven't released him - I want to make that point."

Manly chief executive Paul Cummings contacted Fitzgerald yesterday asking for the Sea Eagles to hold discussions with Lyon. Fitzgerald refused.

Asked why he rejected Manly, Fitzgerald said: "No comment."

Cummings said: "I rang Denis as I understood the Parramatta club was to give Jamie a release.

"He indicated it was a release to Penrith.

"I asked whether Manly could join the discussions. Denis said no. He said it was Penrith and Penrith only.

"Personally I think it is a restraint of trade and that is dangerous ground."

Asked if Manly would consider legal proceedings, Cummings said: "We'll wait and see. We don't want a slanging match with Parramatta. We did tell Parramatta we wouldn't interfere with the process."

The former representative centre quit the NRL, citing a dislike for city life.
penrith is half an hour away from parramatta. this is just chicken shit fo sho

weak

lame

being a former local resident, i can say that there are big differences between penrith and parra, and with the mountains so close there is an even bigger difference.

Maybe Jamie can hunt that elusive big black cat that has been stalking the place using his Pig hunting skills.

I would not actually mind if Jamie goes to Penrith but if it were to Manly then all hell would break loose as we hate the mother f**kers.

For once I actually I agree with Fitzy.

Oh I forgot to say that Jamie is still a bitch for what he has done to us, A little bitch who will never be forgiven.

bartman

Immortal
How can Manly argue that anything is a restraint of trade, given that after all Lyon is still under contract to Parramatta? :? Geese...

Also,

How many more players is Brian Smith going to cost us. Its really clear now that Lyon was only sick of Brian Smith and is willing to play for Penrith and Manly.
Even Dykes wants out now you can just tell by the way people play that they are not happy. And I have my fears about Moriss as well, I haven't heard anything but he looks like he doesn't want to be there.

I dont care where Lyon goes as long its not to the Manly scum, Even the Bulldogs (thats how much I hate Manly) would be a better option just to piss off those fat f**kers from Manly.

The Colonel

Immortal
I have to say if Lyon had of come out and said straight off the bat "I can't work under Brian Smith" I'd have had more empathy for him now. I believed he didn't want to play in the NRL at all, as have many, and everything that was said onwards from the time pretty much said that he did not have a problem with Smith. I can't say I'm a big fan of my boss at times but I tolerate him and do the job I am being paid to do.

Fitzgerald was reluctant to discuss the Lyon drama last night but did say: "We were approached by Mick Kelly about Jamie joining Penrith. Jamie has said he didn't like city life but Penrith is a semi-rural area.

And to the Manly board - have a read. Kelly is acting on Jamie's behalf so obviously he would have had to have spoken to him. Restraint of trade my arse - after June 30 2006 you can talk to him. :lol:

half

Coach
Hollywood Jesus said:
being a former local resident, i can say that there are big differences between penrith and parra, and with the mountains so close there is an even bigger difference.
but what's stopping jamie from living in penrith/the mountains and driving to parra everyday? i know lots of people who live in this area and work in the freakon city. do traffic lights intimidate him too?

weak as piss. it's not an acceptable excuse

CrazyEel

Bench
Jake the snake said:
..Its really clear now that Lyon was only sick of Brian Smith and is willing to play for Penrith and Manly...
As Fitzy has basically confirmed the story it would be very hard to argue against what you say.

fish eel

Immortal
but what's stopping jamie from living in penrith/the mountains and driving to parra everyday? i know lots of people who live in this area and work in the freakon city. do traffic lights intimidate him too?

weak as piss. it's not an acceptable excuse

Agreed. There is a huge difference between the two.

Killer could live in the lower mountains or somewhere like mulgoa on a few acres.

I'm getting a feeling that this means Dykes may actually stick around for his last season?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with half

Lame excuse, and thats just what it is, an excuse.

Why doesn't anyone tell the truth anymore.

According to a poster on the NRL forum, he lives out that way anyway.

And as for Moanly, they said they could not afford him, now they are having a winge, cause they cant talk to him.

The whole thing is on the nose.

Good riddence.

In the end Jamie Lyon is sook and we all know this now. But questions need to be raised of how Brian Smith treats his players or maybe his coaching technique.

Is Brain Smith taking the fun out of playing the game with Parra players?? The list of players exiting from our club does not lie.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
And its gonna take Penruff about a year to get the excess pig fat off his carcuss.

The Colonel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
I agree with half

Lame excuse, and thats just what it is, an excuse.

Why doesn't anyone tell the truth anymore.

According to a poster on the NRL forum, he lives out that way anyway.

And as for Moanly, they said they could not afford him, now they are having a winge, cause they cant talk to him.

The whole thing is on the nose.

Good riddence.

That was me who said he lived out that way - I'm pretty sure he owns a place at Glenbrook.

fish eel

Immortal
I really think its just time to cut and run with jamie lyon. seems to be a real movement at parra just to start from a completely clean slate next year. If thats the case, no need to keep having the innuendo come up about lyon.

If we can dud manly at the same time, then beauty!