What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon's rep in tatters after snubbing Blues

Snoop

Coach
I don't see what's so funny. Gidley is better on kick returns and is freakishly good at breaking tackles and making metres.
You really think Stewart is better than Gidley at those things?

No, but Stewart is better at diffusing a bomb, cutting down a break, sniffing out a try, running really really really fast.

Downie

Guest Moderator
The below stats show all mtrs gained, mtrs off kick returns, tackle breaks and games played

Stewart 1490 613 49 12

Gidley 2082 757 62 11

http://www.nrl.com.au/Stats/Player/tabid/10253/default.aspx

The stats seem to back lucablight here mate. Gidleys metres gained off kicks and tackle breaks are far higher than Stewarts

Gidley gets a lot more involved in attack than Stewart though. He tries to win games on his own which isn't exactly the best thing for a team.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Gidley gets a lot more involved in attack than Stewart though. He tries to win games on his own which isn't exactly the best thing for a team.

What?! So getting involved is bad for a player now?

Mate if thats all you've got to counter the cold hard stats that I presented then I question why you even bothered.

Gidley is a better at making metres and busting tackles, that is fact.

Which player is better? Well that is a matter of opinion.

Downie

Guest Moderator
What?! So getting involved is bad for a player now?

Mate if thats all you've got to counter the cold hard stats that I presented then I question why you even bothered.

Gidley is a better at making metres and busting tackles, that is fact.

Which player is better? Well that is a matter of opinion.

I was saying that's why he makes more metres and busts more tackles, cos he touches the ball a lot more in attack. But yeah, if the amount of involvement was equal, Gidley would still probably break more tackles as he is probably a bit more dynamic than Stewart.

And yeah, it can be bad for the team if one player tries to do it all own their own as it can stifle their attack.

Billythekid

First Grade
I wish Stewart would catch the ball on the full more often. Slater and Hunt are a nightmare for opposition halfbacks because they get to everything on the full and then punish the kicker for it. Stewart tends to let the ball bounce and then only jogs the ball back.

icewind

Juniors
I think Gidley is great for the Knights at fullback, as is Stewart for Manly. Stewart is the more natural fullback tho, and is better 1on1 and under the high ball.

At NSW level, I think Stewart should stay at fullback and Gidley to Lock. I think that's the best way to go about it, because lock utilises Gidleys 'toughness' in defence, and allows him a role as a ball playing lock as well.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
I wish Stewart would catch the ball on the full more often. Slater and Hunt are a nightmare for opposition halfbacks because they get to everything on the full and then punish the kicker for it. Stewart tends to let the ball bounce and then only jogs the ball back.

Stewart lets the ball bounce? You don't watch football, do you?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
LOL, Stewart lets it bounce ? Is probably the best positional fullback in the game

I have a feeling next year that the Tigers supporters will be blowing up again, because Gidley will be the NSW hooker

Billythekid

First Grade
LOL, Stewart lets it bounce ? Is probably the best positional fullback in the game

He did it during the state of origin games. All i can say about being the best positional fullback is :lol:. Both Slater and Hunt put him to shame in this regard.

Stewart lets the ball bounce? You don't watch football, do you?

Wow what a well thought out opinion, thank you for your input.

perverse

Referee

I have a feeling next year that the Tigers supporters will be blowing up again, because Gidley will be the NSW hooker
LOL i hope it happens. not for NSW's or the Knights sake... but just to see the brain explosions from the Farah Brigade.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Same way you wouldn't expect a Storm fan to be able to discuss Billy without being biased ?

No point discussing it, you have your view, i have mine, neither will change

Billythekid

First Grade
Same way you wouldn't expect a Storm fan to be able to discuss Billy without being biased ?

With my username that is certainly a fair call. However i am not a Hunt fan, and he still does it far better than Stewart.

Show me once where Stewart let it bounce in Origin, or any other game for that matter...

Pretty much every kick down field.

stewart = safe as houses

I'm not talking about the high ball, every fullback is safe as houses with down field kicks.