What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macquarie sports radio

Brutus

Referee
You should listen to the 2UE afternoon show.Two guys and one female.Two guys AFL tragics,one from Hobart.The guy from Hobart ,you could almost hear his licking the boots of his AFL guests.No criticisms ,all good blokes,dong wonderful jobs for their clubs.Help ladies over the roads.

Some AFL dudes(players) comes on for about 25 minutes explaining what they do etc , then at about 5 minutes to the hourTurvey gives his NRL tips and says see ya later..

The amount of time given to AFL, particularly to other state clubs is over the top.The woman also is very pro AFL.,although has shown some rl knowledge.

If this show lasts ,then it shows radio in Sydney has lost the plot.
This happened in Melbourne ,it wouldn't last a month.

Thing is even if these Melbourne clowns did talk rugby league, I wouldn't be interested.

I want to hear rugby league people talk rugby league.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I gave it a good go however haven’t listened to it for about 2 months. Like everyone else on here it seemed to be about 80% AFL to me.

The very first time I listened it was those 2 clowns and the chick in the arvo. They had a segment where they asked what the 5 best sporting events in the world are. They decided that The 5 The Super Bowl, Champions League Final, Wimbledon, all probably fair enough, but also included were The AFL Grand Final and the AFL ANZAC day game, I should have checked out then.

Another time that made me laugh was just after the ratings came out and they were at 0.2% in Sydney. They actually said ‘we’re going to start talking more Sydney relevant’ and then starting discussing if Sydney should get a third AFL team, I shit you not!!

Last edited:

counterpuncher

Juniors
Gave it a go for a bit to kill time in the car, I think John Stanley was going alright in the morning but I could only take Beau Ryan in very small doses. Levy seems to want to jump on a soapbox every few minutes and talk garbage, he's turned me off.

Apart from being ridiculously AFL heavy for the rest of the day, I found a lot of their presenters to be lacking in a general sporting knowledge. They would frequently discuss things in an opinionated matter when they appeared to know f**k all about the subject... before finding a way to link it back to St Kilda's forward line or something.

Diesel

Referee
I just went to town on their feedback page. I doubt I’ll get a response, they’re all AFLovers

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/contact-us/

I’m surprised, I got a response back which was rather positive, sounds like they’re trying to get less AFL on the station as it’s not ideal for NSW/Qld.

Gave it another go this morning getting petrol, they were talking to a journalist, David Rioli?? He was talking NRL issues and the female presenter interrupts for a minute about some breaking news for a St Kilda player not having his contract renewed, then goes back to the journalist telling him to continue.

Hardly breaking news or important enough to interrupt a segment dedicated to RL

Mr Saab

Referee
I’m surprised, I got a response back which was rather positive, sounds like they’re trying to get less AFL on the station as it’s not ideal for NSW/Qld.

Gave it another go this morning getting petrol, they were talking to a journalist, David Rioli?? He was talking NRL issues and the female presenter interrupts for a minute about some breaking news for a St Kilda player not having his contract renewed, then goes back to the journalist telling him to continue.

Hardly breaking news or important enough to interrupt a segment dedicated to RL

Sounds like David Riccio and Tiffany Cherry interrupted to let people know the most insignificant news.
SYDNEY people do not care.

Haffa

I had a hire car with Dab stations hooked up for the last week. I was excited at first but the Mad Monday stuff and 30 minutes previewing Souths and Melbourne which involved 25 minutes of Richmong vs Hawthwood was enough. Let the wife listen to RnB Old School Hits from Wednesday onwards. .

JokerEel

Coach
I am not a fan of AFL at all but the commentators on the radio in the afternoon actual sound intelligent when they are speaking about it and not toeing the AFL is the best sport in the world line..

Piggy is good in the mornings glad the got rid of Beau Ryan!

I was wrong the 2 Mark's are annoying.. Leavy sucks up Hadleys ass so much its not funny...

His rant was on wrestling in the ruck and how it is ruining the game and it must be stopped....

Where was he 10 years ago?????????

JokerEel

Coach
You should listen to the 2UE afternoon show.Two guys and one female.Two guys AFL tragics,one from Hobart.The guy from Hobart ,you could almost hear his licking the boots of his AFL guests.No criticisms ,all good blokes,dong wonderful jobs for their clubs.Help ladies over the roads.

Some AFL dudes(players) comes on for about 25 minutes explaining what they do etc , then at about 5 minutes to the hourTurvey gives his NRL tips and says see ya later..

The amount of time given to AFL, particularly to other state clubs is over the top.The woman also is very pro AFL.,although has shown some rl knowledge.

If this show lasts ,then it shows radio in Sydney has lost the plot.
This happened in Melbourne ,it wouldn't last a month.

Show didnt last.. Now they trying for more Sydney sport...
Maybe they need to talk other sports as well not just AFL or NRL..

I was in Melbourne for work last week and stumbled across it while driving all over the joint - and I thought it was great myself. David Morrow was on the mike and talking NRL but also US Open, the opener to the NFL season, and the India England Test Series. Of course there was AFL too. I cant remember who else was co-hosting.

When you're a stranger in a strangeland it's actually pretty good to hear in-depth news on the sport you follow. Of course it's mixed up with others you may not but I'll give them a thumbs-up.

Suitman

Post Whore
I've just spent an hour doing some work in the office. I had the radio on in the background, and nothing interesting was on so I gave this shit station a few minutes.
Tim Webster was on, and it's actually been pretty good.
Plenty of coverage of all sports and not AFL dominated like I've heard in the past. Plenty of league coverage.

Vic Mackey

Referee
After reading the couple of posts above I gave it a listen yesterday and noticed it was more inclusive of all sports.

Can they please get another ‘league expert’ instead of Turvey though?

Giving his tips yesterday he tipped the Roosters to win the comp and then proceeded to tip Souths on Saturday night..

Brutus

Referee
I switched on to Thirsty Morrow's shift the other day and enjoyed the 30 or so minutes I listened to which is a first for the station. He was talking mainly Sydney club cricket with all the stars having a run this weekend.

This station needs more David Morrow's. He looks at sport from a Sydney perspective. There's too much Melbourne perspective on there.