What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mad footy fans

The Friday before the 2005 GF Kevvie Walters was doing a bit for some TV show at Campbelltown Arts Centre. Just before he went on I handed him a Tigers flag and said "If you want to get out of here in one piece...."

He laughed.

I'm still not sure I was kidding.

Tom Shines

First Grade
EA, Father of the Year.

Unfortunately, I have a scum Rooster supporting mother and a scum Manly supporting father. No dice.

Dani

Immortal
This is mine (was about 4 years ago though)

keensupporter.jpg

http://www.macarthurchronicle.com.au/article/2007/07/10/3179_sports.html

Devoted footy fan Violet Cook, 59, of Macquarie Fields, loves the South Sydney Rabbitohs so much she founded the club's Macarthur supporters group.

I GREW up in Redfern and Surry Hills where everyone supported the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Club legend Bob McCarthy lived in my Surry Hills house before we moved in and his mother used to do my hair. I remember his mum used to wash his shorts and jersey after the games. That's how it was done back then.

I met my husband Norm at the Catholic Youth Organisation in Surry Hills. Everyone there was a Rabbitohs supporter except for one priest, who went for Parramatta. We used to give him hell about that. Norm shares my love for the Bunnies. When he was younger, Norm worked as a groundsman at Redfern Oval.

Twenty-nine years ago we moved to Macquarie Fields to raise our five kids. We bought season tickets to the footy in 1999 and the next year South Sydney got kicked out of the competition. As part of the fight to get them back in we started the South Sydney Rabbitohs Macarthur Supporters Group. The group marched for Souths in city protests and even in the Fisher's Ghost Parade.

It's not hard being a Rabbitohs supporter in Wests Tigers' territory because everywhere you go there are Souths fans. Bunnies' supporters can't walk past one another without acknowledging our love for the team. So I have plenty of long conversations about how the team is going whenever I see someone in a Rabbitohs hat or when I carry my Souths bag.

For a while it was pretty tough but things have gotten better since Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court took over.

I'd like to see the Rabbitohs get into the eight this year and win the grand final next year in rugby league's 100th season. That would be the ultimate.

My thoughts exactly.

http://www.macarthurchronicle.com.au/article/2007/07/10/3179_sports.html

This week's footy fan. Feel sorry for Manly fans? Never.

Follow link to see the rest.

http://www.macarthurchronicle.com.au/article/2007/07/17/3266_news.html

A passion for the Sea Eagles sparked a love affair for Jodie Benson, 30, of St Helens Park.

IT'S hard being a Manly supporter in the Macarthur area. Around here no one likes the club and there is a lot of negativity towards us. I always get picked on for being a Manly fan. Even my three sons, who go for other teams, give me grief about following the Sea Eagles but that's my team.

When I first met my husband Mark I asked him what football team he went for. He said don't laugh but I go for Manly. That's when I told him he was on a date with the only other Manly supporter in the whole of Campbelltown.

Our bedroom is completely Manly-ed out. I sleep in Manly pyjamas and have a Manly quilt. Above my bed there's a poster of Steve Menzies. I asked my husband to get me Steve Menzies for my 30th birthday party. I tell my husband I'll leave him for Beaver if I ever get the chance.

We have a Staffordshire bull terrier called Menzies that I wanted to call Beaver. My husband said you can't call a staffy Beaver. When Manly play well I scruff him up a bit and say good game Menzies. He loves the attention. I'm now looking for a Manly jersey for dogs.

We stand out like a sore thumb when we drive through the Macarthur area. We have Manly car seats, seat belts and a steering wheel cover. We try to get to the games in Brookvale as much as possible. We even travelled to Penrith for Menzies' 300th game.

Rabbitohs2016

Juniors
Macarthur Chronicle said:
Bunnies' supporters can't walk past one another without acknowledging our love for the team. So I have plenty of long conversations about how the team is going whenever I see someone in a Rabbitohs hat or when I carry my Souths bag.

So true. Not sure if it's the case with other teams. But fellow fans are constantly come up to me when I'm in colours from a jersey to a scarf.

Latest posts