What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

macnaz

Staff member
I can assure you the board member pictured is no dill...I've known Dennis for a long long time and while i haven't caught up with him for quite awhile i regard him as one of the most energised and unfailingly loyal friends i"ve known.. .. perhaps a bit of an easy target but i can assue anyone he's highly intelligent ..success driven and since the 60's ( perhaps no surprise lol ) has calmly handled a lot of the more challenging egos on the planet. As for an ideal choice for the board of an nrl club i'm not qualified to say but i do know he's among the staunchest and most determined supporters of the magpies there's ever been and even Tommy would have attested to that. Dennis was vehemently against the merger but is genuinely for WT albeit still hard right magpies. In fact has probably done as much as anyone ..or more on the magpies side of things in keeping their identity alive ... Whether that's a good thing for the future of WT?..well that's probably up for debate ...anyway...understand the differing perspectives and no doubt he'd have differences with various people around the club but just wanted to mention it.
BTW...puting WT to one side for a second most of the older folk here would know Dennis's voice ...youtube Fortune Teller by The Throb...that's Denny on vocals and Bass ..better than the Stones version and even Mick Jagger was a fan ..he has more true stories to tell than most have the imagination to make up....trust me...true story!
Heart warming post, BUT! You just demonstrated exactly what is wrong with his type of appointment to the board . He clicks zero positive boxes towards running a NRL side and he is not alone ... nepotism, entrenched bias ,self preservation and entitlement seem to be the sole prerequisite for this clubs board .
And im sure The Masters Apprentices were washed up retired tradesmen when he joined .. so he isnt some superstar..
Hmm. But we do buy lots of washed up superstars to footy though :thinking:

Tigerm

First Grade
Heart warming post, BUT! You just demonstrated exactly what is wrong with his type of appointment to the board . He clicks zero positive boxes towards running a NRL side and he is not alone ... nepotism, entrenched bias ,self preservation and entitlement seem to be the sole prerequisite for this clubs board .
And im sure The Masters Apprentices were washed up retired tradesmen when he joined .. so he isnt some superstar..
To me, the board are the money men and don't have a lot to do with the footy, that's why they hire a CEO.

Das Hassler

Bench

Not meant to.be a heartwarming post...didnt say he was a superstar....anything about the masters apprentices nor that he should be on the board of WT. What i DO know well is he's always had the courage to have a go...it's a character thing.

macnaz

Staff member
To me, the board are the money men and don't have a lot to do with the footy, that's why they hire a CEO.
Yes true... but thats where they have to balance things out , no point having a board full of money people while then not having the ability to provide checks and balances over the rest of the clubs operations .
Id prefer a club make money by being successful on the field rather than making a shit tonne of corporate dollars while wasting it all on a complete shithouse product that they are suppose to be there to support and ensure they win Rugby League Games .

macnaz

Staff member
Not meant to.be a heartwarming post...didnt say he was a superstar....anything about the masters apprentices nor that he should be on the board of WT. What i DO know well is he's always had the courage to have a go...it's a character thing.
All good Das , respect you for defending his character.. im merely pointing out our boards inadequacies. Sorry mate :thumbsup:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I never visit other forums because my team has enough of its own problems but if the rumour of Madge possibly getting the sack, would you guys entertain the Walker brothers? If they were ever going to be experimented with at any club Tigers would be a good team to do it with imo. It would be a lot of fun if only for the remainder of the season.

stryker

First Grade
I never visit other forums because my team has enough of its own problems but if the rumour of Madge possibly getting the sack, would you guys entertain the Walker brothers? If they were ever going to be experimented with at any club Tigers would be a good team to do it with imo. It would be a lot of fun if only for the remainder of the season.
We threw their names around prior to that arsehole Cleary coming on board.
They would be a match for our unstructured approach to football.

Pezz70

Juniors
Another ex player out of his depth.
I agree 100% with Gallen. I’ve said as much in other posts. Change needs to be culture driven, there are players there that should never have been signed. Madge bears responsibility for at least three, and we still have the Cleary hangover. Character needs to be the nucleus of the side. You need good players, but talent with poor character makes for terrible inconsistency. It’s what we’re seeing now. I’d be hiring an unknown scout going out into west’s comp and group 6 and watching players without their knowledge. Looking for a couple of hard arses that put in 100% every week for pennies. You pick up 7-10 cheapies for train and trial going into next season. You end up with 3-4 blokes with great attitudes you change the club. The boys we have now are spoilt entitled kids who have never done it tough.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
We threw their names around prior to that arsehole Cleary coming on board.
They would be a match for our unstructured approach to football.
Tigers have always been an attacking side and with Laurie, Jimmy the Jet, even the Leilua bro's and Brooks it would be quite fun to see.

Das Hassler

Bench

Would really come down to getting a take on whether they could attract the first couple of elite players we need to get things moving for that seizmic shift we've been waiting on. ...as you say it would be a WT kind of thing to do...for better or for worse.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Would really come down to getting a take on whether they could attract the first couple of elite players we need to get things moving for that seizmic shift we've been waiting on. ...as you say it would be a WT kind of thing to do...for better or for worse.
That’s why I would rather the experiment be tried elsewhere. The Dragons did enough experimental stuff with the lineup on Anzac Day. You guys are a massive shot this week, Ravalawa is a massive part of what we do and JP is also injured. We will have to debut a rookie or do some shifting around. Probably Wiliame or Feagai will come in but they are both centres.

simmo05

Bench
I agree 100% with Gallen. I’ve said as much in other posts. Change needs to be culture driven, there are players there that should never have been signed. Madge bears responsibility for at least three, and we still have the Cleary hangover. Character needs to be the nucleus of the side. You need good players, but talent with poor character makes for terrible inconsistency. It’s what we’re seeing now. I’d be hiring an unknown scout going out into west’s comp and group 6 and watching players without their knowledge. Looking for a couple of hard arses that put in 100% every week for pennies. You pick up 7-10 cheapies for train and trial going into next season. You end up with 3-4 blokes with great attitudes you change the club. The boys we have now are spoilt entitled kids who have never done it tough.
That's the intention of the Melbourne boot camp that they send all the kids on. Just like special forces selection. Apply the blowtorch on them in the form of heart breaking exercise, and see who cracks. The big mouths, the peahearts, the wannabe tough guys, the blokes who can't get along with anyone, blokes who won't follow orders are all weeded out and you are left with a small handful of people with a lot of backbone.

axl rose

Bench
That's the intention of the Melbourne boot camp that they send all the kids on. Just like special forces selection. Apply the blowtorch on them in the form of heart breaking exercise, and see who cracks. The big mouths, the peahearts, the wannabe tough guys, the blokes who can't get along with anyone, blokes who won't follow orders are all weeded out and you are left with a small handful of people with a lot of backbone.
Yeah all clubs run them in the off season but Storm have a knack of weeding them out better than most (Croft)

Ronnie Palmer can’t play every position.

Das Hassler

Bench

Don't know if it's still the case now but as i heard it just after Bellamy started down there he was handing the new arrivals over to work for a mate of his doing building work ..as in HARD shitty building work! ....he got the rundown on their attitude and temperament on the building site and that was their go / no go assessment before he even bothered with anything to do with football ability....any real issues there and it was thanks for coming.

JohnnyThailand

Juniors
Love to know who f**ked up the Latrell Mitchell signing. That would have got JAC back here. Could have made Reynolds interested. Could have created a massive flow on effect... I agree with Gallen. Always have. You have to get 1 real superstar and people follow them. We haven't had anything close to a superstar since Benji a decade ago. And let's not pretend he didn't have a rocks or diamonds rep back then either. I'd be okay with them sacrificing a year to run players off the books to scoop someone. But we always piss our pants and buy washed up guys who might have played 3 origin games half a decade ago.