What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magpies return to Lidcombe - 3rd March

joejoe

Juniors
PRESS RELEASE – Return to Lidcombe Oval

The “FIBROS” back at their former home Western Suburbs Magpies are flying back to their long-time base at Lidcombe Oval for the opening round of the VB NSW Cup.

With the Magpies Nest at Campbelltown Sports Stadium not available for the clubʼs season opener, theyʼll be lining up to face arch rivals the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at the scene of so many of the infamous battles between the Fibros and the Silvertails

On Saturday 3rd March 2012, the Magpies will be calling their former base ʻHomeʼ once again in what promises to be a trip down memory lane for many Wests fans and Rugby League supporters in general.

The Magpies flew west from Lidcombe to Leumeah a quarter of a century ago and have not graced the hallowed turf of Lidcombe since 1986.

This nostalgic return to Lidcombe promises to be treasured and remembered for a long time to come.

Itʼs a rare opportunity for the Magpies and their supporters to relive memories of yesteryear when the famous black and whites became entrenched in Rugby League folklore as the ʻFibrosʼ representing the broad community that is the Western Suburbs of Sydney.

NSWRL VB NSW Cup 2012
Round 1: Saturday 3rd
March 2012
Venue: Lidcombe Oval Kick-off: 3pm (Gates Open 11.30am)
Western Suburbs Magpies Vs. Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Tickets available on the day at Lidcombe Oval
and at Wests Ashfield Leagues Clubʼs Reception
| Adults $10 | Children (16 years & Under) $5 | Kids 5 years and under FREE |

ReturnToLidcombe.jpg

macnaz

Staff member
Good concept.. Could have done something about child pricing to get more in... Its not what u call expensive but the more kids in the gates the better. Just curious, is there still a junior players pass that gives them free admission

innsaneink

Referee
Yeh there is but its only for NRL games.

Magpies are skint, they need all the dosh they can get

King Tigerman

Juniors
having this game at lidcombe is a good idea , i live in lidcombe and theres a big buzz about the game despite the fact our local papers havent said anything about it , i know theres about 20 of us from the pub going down , and hopefully if its a successful day the magpies could even consider playing more games there

macnaz

Staff member
having this game at lidcombe is a good idea , i live in lidcombe and theres a big buzz about the game despite the fact our local papers havent said anything about it , i know theres about 20 of us from the pub going down , and hopefully if its a successful day the magpies could even consider playing more games there
What Pub would that be tigerman .." the Lidcombe Hotel " ? I have the odd beer there an perhaps i have even met you,, from what ive heard even some well known Wests legends may turn up for old times sake :)

A special event and one that all Balmain and Wests supporters should try and turn up to and help make a successful day of it .

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
The old jersey dont fit anymore, but I can just squeeze into the polo....slightly yellowed with time, but still has the mighty maggie on the back!

King Tigerman

Juniors
What Pub would that be tigerman .." the Lidcombe Hotel " ? I have the odd beer there an perhaps i have even met you,, from what ive heard even some well known Wests legends may turn up for old times sake :)

A special event and one that all Balmain and Wests supporters should try and turn up to and help make a successful day of it .

yep lidcombe hotel ill be there that day round 2 then afterwards get a few beers into me and make the countdown for the next day at leichhardt go quicker

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
will the tv camera's be there maybe they can have some face slapping for old times sake from the old time players from the lidcombe oval days- how about a touch football game between surviving players from wests and manly from the 1970's

Latest posts