What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magpies Victa Jerseys

Yappy, I've been here a short time and the one thing I've noticed is that you give as good as you get on any score.

You're obviously very knowledgeable on Wests, good on you, and you're an intelligent guy. But I also see you as someone who enjoys being a martyr. You went down with the ship, kicking and screaming and continue to do so. You're Wests version of Tigger, but with a brain.

You enjoy bringing up the past and I don't mind it occasionally, (I myself have a 1979 beer mug, made in Leichhardt and a couple of Jerseys) but this club (The JV) has a future. Finally we're heading in the right direction, it would be nice if we were all heading that way, instead of reliving memories of times long gone.

I'll make it simple, bottom line question.

Do you think that Wests Magpies would have a side in first grade now if they had continued going it alone?

braz

Juniors
I'm pretty much the same as gobbs. Magpies first and foremost but i still strongly support the JV (season ticket holder in fact). I went to quite a few stand alone games which is not too bad since i live in Cronulla.

Anti-christ has a point about the elitist attitude of some JV haters. it's the old i like their old stuff better than their new stuff theory with music.

Yappy i'll give ya a prime example. I went to the magpies semi final last year in reggies against parra. i brought my little sister along cause she loves her footy. we bought the tickets and made the effort to get there - didn't give a shit bout the main game.

anyway me sister was wearing a wests tigers top - she doesn't have a magpies jersey. and one of the diehards had a go at her - he's going "there's no tigers here love. piss the tigers off". i told the prick to pull his head in.

it's this attitude that shits me. "i am maggie through and through so i must be better than you because your a sellout who supports the JV" f**k that.

i was born in the year the last time the magpies won anything. i reckon its pretty bloody good that young people still support the magpies and respect their history. f**k that old guy and his ego.

yappy

Bench
Yappy, I've been here a short time and the one thing I've noticed is that you give as good as you get on any score.

I try.

But I also see you as someone who enjoys being a martyr.

You make the mistake of believing the ship has sunk. It hasn't - it's taken a bit of water sure, but there are still plenty of us manning the pumps. We'll have the old dear patched up and ship shape eventually (the more who join in the fast the repair job will be), and when we do we'd love to invite you back on board.

Matyr? No thanks - not even Wests are worth dying for (close though). I'm not looking to go out with a glorious end - just trying to build a new beginning - nothing matyr-like in that. If I'm guilty of living in a time other than the present it's the future not the past. Don't mind reminiscing every now and then of course.

I know it's only a football team, but in life eventually you have to stand your ground. There are plenty of people out there that will rip you off, do you down, or f*ck you over if you let them. Well I've drawn a line in the sand as far as Wests are concerned. Try and take it from me and you're in for a fight. Other people take more to get them to actually take a stand, some folks never do. You've asked me a bottom line question (which I've answered below) so here's one for you. At what point would you say enough is enough? If Wests Tigers got screwed over and were forced into another merger (say Souths for the sake of the argument) would you still be telling me it was good enough for you? How much of a percentage is enough to keep you happy? 33% 25% 20%. Is it that important to you, or would you just walk away? (BTW this isn't meant to be facetious or anything - merely to demonstrate we value very different things - no drama about that is there?)

I'll make it simple, bottom line question.

Do you think that Wests Magpies would have a side in first grade now if they had continued going it alone?

Souths do. (and they're a bigger basket case than we ever were)

And before you come up with a whole bunch of reason why we couldn't have done the same remember there is only one reason why Souths are there. They took it to court. And eventually lost. It was almost exactly the same situation as Wests in 85. It wasn't the High Court decision that mattered, but the Supreme Court win. That got both Souths and us in, and being in was enough to put an end to the threat. The moral to the story is if you fight you may not win, but if you don't you're guaranteed to lose. Had we fought I have no doubt whatsoever that we'd be in a much better situation than Souths, and probably no worse (at least) than Wests Tigers. Finances would be tight, but we'd be OK. Certainly no poorer than several clubs currently running about. At the end of the day the only real reason why we are no longer in the NRL is because we didn't have leaders with the will to fight like we did in the 80's. Would have liked it if we'd had leaders with fight and the ability to attract heaps of sponsorship dollars in both the 80's and 90's. ;-)

But so what? I'm not worried about the past, much though you misrepresent me. It's gone, we missed that opportunity - it's only use is to learn from the mistakes. My concern is not to miss the opportunities that will present themselves in the future.

yappy

Bench
Sorry to hear it Braz.

Knowing the guys I know it isn't serious, but you or your sister don't know that, and it's no excuse. I'll mention it to the boys to try and ensure it doesn't happen again. Trust me mate, we want to encourage you and your sister to join us at the games, not discourage you.

yappy

Bench
It could have been any of about eight guys. Might even have been me. The boys have been known to get a bit carried away.

I've taken on board what you said Yappy.

All I can say to that is, and this is regurgitating somewhat Braz's post, is that I find it offensive when I'm called a "sell out". And that's the reason I went at the Newtown/Balmain bloke. He labels everyone a sell out who follows the Wests Tigers. I don't feel like a sell out.

We have a unique club. Our JV is the only real JV. The Blurt Burglars and Noths was doomed from the start and the St. G / Illawarra is not a JV, it's a take over. We have two PL teams and both clubs have the junior teams. Neither of the other 2 JV's have that now.

When I heard that we may be going into a JV with Canterbury, I went cold immediately. That would have made us the Illawarra of that JV and we would have disappeared. If that happened, I would never have watched another League game. But the Balmain JV made sense to me in the atmosphere at the time. Two struggling clubs joined in order to survive. An equal and equitable merger for the sake of survival.

I'm also realistic enough to understand that at the end of '99 we were heading nowhere. We'd just had the two worst seasons ever and the outlook was terrible. No one wanted to play for Wests. The best we could entice were blokes who'd played one year too many and the wretched refuse of the Comp.

This way, we have a FG club to follow that has purchased judiciously, is bringing up the Juniors better than we have for years and the turn around is beggining. I'm finding it difficult not to be excited about our prospects. I haven't felt that since Ryan was coaching.

It isn't a perfect world but it's as good as we're going to get in the foreseeable future.

Once Dead

Bench
westie said:
Sounds like old Bazza to me. His heart is in the right place though

His heart is in the right place? Telling someone to p*** off? No matter how much you love your team you don't stoop to that level and above all never to a female

westie

Bench
Impellitteri said:
westie said:

His heart is in the right place? Telling someone to p*** off? No matter how much you love your team you don't stoop to that level and above all never to a female

I dont think he told em to piss off, he told em to piss the tiger off.

yappy

Bench
If you knew Bazza (and if you've been to a Wests game you know Bazza) you'd understand. Bazza wouldn't wish ill on anyone (except maybe Canterbury - but surely you can't criticise a man for that.)

Once Dead

Bench
westie said:
Impellitteri said:
westie said:

I dont think he told em to piss off, he told em to piss the tiger off.

Still, we should always choose our words carefully - because they might be offensive to other people......like in this situation

braz

Juniors
yappy said:
Sorry to hear it Braz.

Knowing the guys I know it isn't serious, but you or your sister don't know that, and it's no excuse. I'll mention it to the boys to try and ensure it doesn't happen again. Trust me mate, we want to encourage you and your sister to join us at the games, not discourage you.

guys it was no big drama. i told him to shut up and he did :lol:

I just found it ironic that you are trying to get as many people to games and some are going with wests tigers jerseys on aren't welcome :roll: there was about 20 of us maggies supporters there so it's not like you can be picky.

and it wasn't you or bazza as i have met you both ;-)

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
I've taken on board what you said Yappy.

All I can say to that is, and this is regurgitating somewhat Braz's post, is that I find it offensive when I'm called a "sell out". And that's the reason I went at the Newtown/Balmain bloke. He labels everyone a sell out who follows the Wests Tigers. I don't feel like a sell out.

We have a unique club. Our JV is the only real JV. The Blurt Burglars and Noths was doomed from the start and the St. G / Illawarra is not a JV, it's a take over. We have two PL teams and both clubs have the junior teams. Neither of the other 2 JV's have that now.

When I heard that we may be going into a JV with Canterbury, I went cold immediately. That would have made us the Illawarra of that JV and we would have disappeared. If that happened, I would never have watched another League game. But the Balmain JV made sense to me in the atmosphere at the time. Two struggling clubs joined in order to survive. An equal and equitable merger for the sake of survival.

I'm also realistic enough to understand that at the end of '99 we were heading nowhere. We'd just had the two worst seasons ever and the outlook was terrible. No one wanted to play for Wests. The best we could entice were blokes who'd played one year too many and the wretched refuse of the Comp.

This way, we have a FG club to follow that has purchased judiciously, is bringing up the Juniors better than we have for years and the turn around is beggining. I'm finding it difficult not to be excited about our prospects. I haven't felt that since Ryan was coaching.

It isn't a perfect world but it's as good as we're going to get in the foreseeable future.

Mate, I'm not having a go at all the people that follow the JV, I'm still p*ssed off at the people who blindly followed it without a second thought as to the history of either club.

I think was Yappy who asked if you thought that the Magpies were doomed at the end of '99, for which you replied they were. However what is forgotten on these forums is what Souths did. They stood up to the bastards at the NRL and said no were are not going to lie down and die. It's a shame that the boards of Illawarra, Balmain, Norths, Wests, and to a lesser extent Manly and Saints didn't actually rally around good old George and fight it together. If Souths survived why not Balmain and Wests and the other ARL clubs as separate entities? My guess is they were gutless, they took the millions on offer from the NRL and said "shit better do what Rupert tells us other wise we wont have our clubs anymore". Well lookie here.... What did we end up with? A Super League club. Just a Ribot and Co wanted... a reduction in Sydney teams.

I know that most people here love the JV with some passion, I don't but that's my choice. However please don't bag off the Jets if you've never been as they hold a big place in my life as they kept me a RL fan, other wise I'd be lost to the game. No I wouldn't have gone to RU (I've got some taste!), but I would have found something else to occupy my time on a Saturday arvo in winter.

Sorry for the long rant and spelling mistakes - I'm sure you get my drift!

innsaneink

Referee
I'm still p*ssed off at the people who blindly followed it without a second thought as to the history of either club.
Why?...Because you think it was wrong?Should they think as you do?

However what is forgotten on these forums is what Souths did. They stood up to the bastards at the NRL and said no were are not going to lie down and die.
Easy to be wise after the event.

If Souths survived why not Balmain and Wests and the other ARL clubs as separate entities?
Who Knows! Unanswerable question.Though you start the next sentence with........
My guess is

Maybe some Wests fans didnt wanna chance a third time lucky scenario...
we had been booted twice before remember

Henson Park Hornets said:
Mate, I'm not having a go at all the people that follow the JV, I'm still p*ssed off at the people who blindly followed it without a second thought as to the history of either club.

Do you really think that most people didn't think long and hard about it?

I and others suffered long and hard about it. I wanted Wests to be able to go it alone more than anything.... but that seemed more a dream than the reality. The reality to me was that we were probably terminal as an NRL club and the merger saved us. We'll never know if that was right, but the JV is still going even though it's been struggling. If we'd gone it alone, I don't think we'd be in the NRL now.

I think was Yappy who asked if you thought that the Magpies were doomed at the end of '99, for which you replied they were. However what is forgotten on these forums is what Souths did. They stood up to the bastards at the NRL and said no were are not going to lie down and die. It's a shame that the boards of Illawarra, Balmain, Norths, Wests, and to a lesser extent Manly and Saints didn't actually rally around good old George and fight it together. If Souths survived why not Balmain and Wests and the other ARL clubs as separate entities? My guess is they were gutless, they took the millions on offer from the NRL and said "sh*t better do what Rupert tells us other wise we wont have our clubs anymore". Well lookie here.... What did we end up with? A Super League club. Just a Ribot and Co wanted... a reduction in Sydney teams.

Nah, I asked Yappy that question. I thought we were going nowhere and I tend to think that anyone with a fair degree of intelligence would have thought the same. He mentioned the vote and that only a hand full opposed the merger. It seems the majority couldn't see much of a future either. I'm not suggesting that those who voted against it aren't intelligent but more that they were voting with their hearts instead of their heads.

The game changed and we had to change with it. I believe that if we didn't, we'd have died.

Ribot............ I'd better not say what I think of him.

I know that most people here love the JV with some passion, I don't but that's my choice. However please don't s**g off the Jets if you've never been as they hold a big place in my life as they kept me a RL fan, other wise I'd be lost to the game. No I wouldn't have gone to RU (I've got some taste!), but I would have found something else to occupy my time on a Saturday arvo in winter.

I like soft targets and the Jets are .... soft. When Wests and Newtown were kicked out, I don't recall Newtown kicking up much of a fuss. But good luck to them, they'll never see FG again but if they're happy where they are, more power to them.

Sorry for the long rant and spelling mistakes - I'm sure you get my drift!

No wuckers. Rants are good. lol

magpiemax

Juniors
attn: everlovin' antichrist
yappy
henson park hornets
just looking over the last few thousand posts lately and the conversation seems as if its going around in circles and getting know where.lets face it at least we agree to disagree.
p.s....are you guys having a competition to see who suffers r.s.i first?go easy on the amount of writing!besides by the time i finish reading all the posts i no longer have time for- t.v,drinking,exercise,playin with the kids,mowing the lawn ,washing the car(hand bucket only)reading a book,flying a kite, haberdashery,inviting friends over,going to the tab and sex.
magpies.jpg

I'm over it.

I'm elsewhere giving crap to a Sheep shagging Rugby lover and a couple of low grade Referees who think we should lick Refs boots.

magpiemax

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
I'm over it.

I'm elsewhere giving crap to a Sheep shagging Rugby lover and a couple of low grade Referees who think we should lick Refs boots.
good to see your consistent. which site are you doing the hammering on this time??

magpiemax said:
good to see your consistent. which site are you doing the hammering on this time??

It's my only redeeming feature.

NRL for the Refs one and it seems I may have dragged a "representative" level Referee into the blue although I think he's just a troll masquerading as one. And the League v AFL v Union boards, although that one has died for the moment.

Latest posts