What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maguire Might Not Choose Teddy This Year

It’s not like Teddy has been dropped for some doe-eyed newbie with no big game experience. Dyl has been the 2nd or 3rd most important player in the greatest team to play the game.

m what is great about Dyl is he gets his stats without getting in the way. He doesn’t jump in and take hit-ups at the wrong time or cramp his outside backs. He doesn’t always take the right option but he understands his role in the team in a way that few other fullbacks do.

soc123_au

Staff member
He wasn't that bad last year either though, definitely one of his worst years to date but still one of NSW's best options and was still playing above average footy.

I'm talking severe dip in ability. For example, Latrell being dropped despite his experience is completely justified because he's out of shape, isn't playing well at all and has lost many many steps from when he was last dominating games.
He was hot garbage in Origin last year. He wasn't alone to be fair, but the amount of try chances he squandered by not passing and falling over was mind numbing. Since he got knocked out in Origin a few years ago he has been been surviving on past deeds. No shame in it, but his rep days are over.

Pumpkin

Juniors
How do players get origin experience if they can't be selected if they don't have experience?
When I say experience I'm not just talking about origin experience. I was calling for Edwards to be picked for example. He has plenty of big match experience. You can have a couple of rookies who are banging down the door, but they will gain confidence when they are amongst experienced players. Lomax is a big risk. Few good games and they pick him. JAC is a much safer option.

Pumpkin

Juniors
I’ll give you 2:

IMO if players are choosing to leave the code they shouldn’t be rewarded with rep jerseys.

It’s also not like the experience he gains this series is going to help the Blues next year.
What you are saying is that he should be punished. He hasn't done anything wrong, why should he be punished? As far as I'm aware, playing rugby union isn't a crime.

He was hot garbage in Origin last year. He wasn't alone to be fair, but the amount of try chances he squandered by not passing and falling over was mind numbing. Since he got knocked out in Origin a few years ago he has been been surviving on past deeds. No shame in it, but his rep days are over.
To me Tedesco is the fullback equivalent of Robbie Farah at origin level. He’s always going to have a go himself before passing the ball. He will crate a few chances doing it, but will squander several as well. He’s lost a yard of pace and last year that was evident, Queensland had little issues dealing with him.

He’s had his day at origin level. Part of a blues era that on the whole underperformed. He was one of those who did deliver during his origin career, 2023 aside.

isaiah

Bench
I don’t mind that NSW side at all. It has a good mix of players who can really take it to QLD.

I think Teddy has been in good enough form to warrant selection but he lost his spot to a player whose form has been consistent for years. I think this is good for NSW. Stop picking on tenure and what they “have” done and start rewarding form players.
‘Form’ players is your state’s problem. Origin is a different beast to the nrl. Plenty have dominated the nrl but fall short at this next level. But even when some commentators say that certain aggressive players are ‘built for origin’, they don’t get it either.

Pumpkin

Juniors
Origin has enormous pressure. There's people packing out bars and clubs who never even watch sports. This creates stress. You want players who can handle this stress. Playing a few good games for St George doesn't mean much. Lomax is a big risk and so is Sualii. They should have gone for JAC and Latrell Mitchell.

Maximus

Coach
When I say experience I'm not just talking about origin experience. I was calling for Edwards to be picked for example. He has plenty of big match experience. You can have a couple of rookies who are banging down the door, but they will gain confidence when they are amongst experienced players. Lomax is a big risk. Few good games and they pick him. JAC is a much safer option.

By safer I assume you mean won't make mistakes because he does f**k all work. He's a luxury in a dominant team. He's going to be off hiding when your team is struggling.

Everyone was crying about him not being picked in 2022 and then look at what he did in 2023. He was garbage.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
lol he won series (and games in losing series) on his own back because no one else in the team was capable of creating anything.

It's hard to see this team scoring more than 6 points, probably off a QLD error.
Will remember this post

You might as well cheer for qld m8