What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maitua & Webb

SDM

First Grade
Webb would have to shave a crooked "P" onto the side of his head to win me over.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Both would not be taking up much of the salary cap, so why not give them a go. Stick them in NSW Cup and make them work for it. Adds some much needed depth.

If we can sign te maari for a year or two, maybe get Filiga signed up then we are looking a lot better.

Front Rowers:
moimoi, mannah, poore, webb, manakafoa (or however u spell it) allgood

Second Rowers:
Hindy, Smith, Shack, Maitua, Horo, O'Hanlon, Oake, Te Maari, Lasalo, Filiga.

Have a fair bit of depth now and most of them guys can play!

oldmancraigy

Coach
i'd rather pay overs for eastwood

You'd probably have to pay $280k for Eastwood - flat rate.

For Webb and Maitua combined we're probably looking $180-200k max.

If Webb works really hard he has a shot at becoming the 4th prop in our squad. If not, nothing lost on a low money gamble.

If Maitua really really tries hard he might just sneak on to the interchange bench for a game or 2. If not, nothing lost on a low money gamble.

Fact is we have to pay SOMEBODY to fill positions 23-25 in our top grade squad - why not those 2? Would you rather Oake? Yes, he's younger - but he's far worse than either of those guys EVEN IF they've been sucking back 20 pies a week. Oh - and combined they'll only cost marginally more than he did anyway...

We are missing a 4th prop with first grade experience. Webb has that - could be a worse signing for low cash.

Backrow stocks are currently fine - but why not throw Maitua into the mix as well? Hindmarsh, Smith, Horo, Shackleton, Lasalo are all currently ahead of him - but it wouldn't hurt to add someone who might be able to bring something different?

If it doesn't pan out - who cares? They're unlikely to see first grade unless they work hard.
Great depth signings in my opinion - just what we need, a couple of old guys who need to work to make it on to the footy field.

sarahk

Juniors
I wouldnt mind having Maitua in the team but CARL WEBB...I have spent the past few years bagging the grub out and now i have to eat my words as he might be playing for the team i support. That totally sucks!

Last edited:

Djay

Juniors
Both were really good players in their prime. Whether they could get back to that is very debatable. But like it has been stated they could be great signings for depth and I reckon one of them could really excel.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think it all depends on how much they would cost...we shall see if they become beneficial signings

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
I wouldnt mind having Maitua in the team but CARL WEBB...I have spent the past few years bagging the grub out and now i have to eat my words as he might be playing for the team i support. That totally sucks!
+1
I can see some value in signing Maitua, but Webb is a fat waste of space.

I don't care about getting a 4th prop with experience, we will have 3 props with Origin or international experience. IMO we would do fine with another young prop, Allgood and Pele would be better than Webb.
Some young props work out fine, like Mannah, some don't, like Cordoba. We'd be better rolling the dice on some young guys instead of bringing Webb down to keep the local KFC in business.

Seriously, Webb would be one of the worst signings the club has made in recent memory, if they do sign him. If we really had to get an experienced prop, there'd surely be better out there than just him.

Come on Bulldogs, throw a contract at Webb.:D

mrpwnd

Bench
You won't get much aggression from Webb nowadays, his heart is lobbed up with that much fat he doesn't have it in him to get angry anymore.

mrpwnd

Bench
Same as me, except I hate them both.
Maitua is an immature genius who thinks associating with the bra boys is productive.
Carl Webb - Read post above.

SDM

First Grade
For example; next year Fui gets injured for a couple of weeks, and Poore and Mannah both play origin, then Webb and Manakafoa look like good signings for a week, it'll do me.

hindy111

Post Whore
Look we are loosing cayless and mateo-we do need a couple of signings.We have been lucky with no injuries -If we do get a couple we will be up S45t creek.If we sign them lets hope they play 2 of the best years of there careers-Lets hope they see it as an oppurtunity to finish there careers on a high.Both where quality players.Both can play a couple of great years still....If cheap enough worth the risk

jk13

First Grade
if eastwoods transfer fee is 100K, i reckon he is still worth it over these 2. even in his prime, webb wouldn't often string a few great matches together. eastwood would replace mateo perfectly.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Both would not be taking up much of the salary cap, so why not give them a go. Stick them in NSW Cup and make them work for it. Adds some much needed depth.

If we can sign te maari for a year or two, maybe get Filiga signed up then we are looking a lot better.

Front Rowers:
moimoi, mannah, poore, webb, manakafoa (or however u spell it) allgood

Second Rowers:
Hindy, Smith, Shack, Maitua, Horo, O'Hanlon, Oake, Te Maari, Lasalo, Filiga.

Have a fair bit of depth now and most of them guys can play!

That is a squad I would love to see roll out next year. Plenty of power, penetration, intimidation and ball playing skill. Would love to see Willie Mason come on for $150K to $200k.

Eelvis

Juniors
if eastwoods transfer fee is 100K, i reckon he is still worth it over these 2. even in his prime, webb wouldn't often string a few great matches together. eastwood would replace mateo perfectly.
For once i agree with you

True EEL

Bench
i'm undecided on the signings......Maitua could come back with a big chip on his shoulders and a point to prove, but that often doesn't work out for the player

Webb really needs to lose some beef, perhaps a change of scenery and last chance environment might make him spring back to life, hard to say??