What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Semi Final: Bluebags v Panthers 2010

The Piper

Juniors
Forum 7s - Major Semi Final
NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS v PENRITH PANTHERS
bluebagsf7s.jpg
-v-
pen-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 1 September 2010 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: Non Terminator
Venue: Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The famous Blue Baggers bus arrives, breaks down, and is pushed into the hallowed turf of The Front Row stadium. Madunit answers the call, crosses the floor, puts his back into it and we make it to the centre of the pitch.

TEAM: BLUEBAGS - MAJOR SEMI-FINAL 2010

Willow (c)
gorilla (vc)
muzby
Drew-sta
Rexxy

Interchange:
Ridders
ozbash

Good luck one and all. :thumn

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
all ready for a great semi final, muzby kicks off for the 'bags...

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

750 words from title to end..

20080410-will-he-look-back.jpg

Looking back.

I arrived at training for my under 19s league team one Thursday night knowing it was going to be tough. It was to be a night of intense running. I paired up with John, a mate of mine. We kept giving each other the motivation required to not look back, not stop or throw up. When the session finished, I was heading out with some friends from school. I asked John if he wanted to come along, but he said he had a party to go to. We said goodbye and I headed out for a big night, knowing I could sleep in as Anzac day was the next day.

The next morning my mum came in and gave me a big hug. When I asked her what was up, she said she had heard on the radio of an incident in our town that had occurred overnight. A guy my age was found in the street, dead from a gunshot wound. She was just glad that I was okay.

As I was feeling quite hung over, I shrugged it off and went back to sleep, only waking up once the clock had well passed 12. After a greasy breakfast I pulled myself together, grabbed my boots and headed out for Friday night training. When I got there, only a handful of people were at the ground. I saw my coach there, and I noticed he had tears coming down his face. I asked what was up and he said “It’s John. He shot himself last night”.

The news hit me hard & within a few seconds I connected this message with the news my mum had told me that morning. My coach continued on, John went to a party last night after training. During that party, John had gotten into a fight and left the party quite upset, and had apparently gone home, kissed his mum goodbye and left the house. They found him the next morning in a gutter in a suburban part of town.

We did not hold a training session that evening.

Two days later on Sunday morning the club made its way out to a ground on the other side of town for our games. As a mark of respect all three grades turned up for the U/19s game, and were all staying until full time in first grade.

Putting the black tape on my left arm before running out was quite an emotional experience, and looking round the change room I could see I wasn’t the only one affected. The brochures for the day were printed mid-week, and it was with an eerie feeling I looked down to see John’s name still there on the team list. John’s jersey was retired for that week, and as we ran out, I could hear the ground announcer let the crowd know of the variations to the program. “How funny” I thought. I had been to so many games and heard announcements similar to that before each game. The announcer only said that John wasn’t playing. He didn’t say why. He probably didn’t even know why. To him, John was just a name, to be replaced by another name.

John’s funeral was the following Wednesday. As his team mates, we formed a guard of honour to guide his coffin to his grave. Once the coffin was in place, we stepped back and formed part of the crowd. With his Balmain Tigers jersey and toy tiger in place, the coffin was lowered into the grave, to the sound of “Eye of the Tiger”. To this day I can’t bear to hear that song.

Flashing forward a few months and our team had made it to the grand final - which we won. After our lap of honour, I looked back and saw the banner that we had run through at the start of the game. I wandered over and took a few strips from it. I wanted to share today with John.

I thought that sharing the grand final with John would be a gift to him, but I did not know what a profound effect it would have on me. When I had finished decorating his headstone with the banner from the grand final, I stood back to admire my work. It was only then that it hit me. No matter how bad at times life may seem, nothing is ever that bad that you should take your own life.

I’ve never looked back since then.

Big Mick

Referee
Panthers team to take on Newtown:

f7s_panthers_1.gif

1. Madunit
2. Azkatro
3. Leaguenut
4. The Piper
5. Big Mick

6. Edabomb
7. Broncoman

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut - Panthers :crazy:

===============================================

Revenge

Part One

He sat in the dressing sheds, completely drained and mentally exhausted. His first Grand Final hadn’t gone the way he wanted. As his team-mates began drowning their sorrows, he only had one feeling on his mind.

Revenge.

But this wasn’t your normal garden variety of revenge. He was bitter. He’d poured every ounce of effort he could muster into an almighty effort for his team, and he’d copped some pretty nasty abuse from a few loudmouths in the opposition along the way. Normally he could brush it off – both the loss and the abuse – but this one somehow mutated and burrowed deep within his soul.

He wouldn’t forget. Not this time.

But he also knew that revenge wasn’t an easily achievable goal. He’d had a pretty long career spread over a few different clubs, and had seen countless examples of team-mates winding themselves up so much for a crucial match only to fall flat on their faces. There were too many variables, including the ever-present threat of injury. People rarely get the chance to write their own scripts.

He had to do something different.

When he first thought of his ‘different’ idea, he laughed it off almost instantly. He wanted different – not crazy.

But he didn’t let it go. Slowly he began to peel back the layers and had a flash, just for a second, that this might be crazy enough to work. He knew it would take a long time to put everything into place, but he also knew he’d have a much better chance of getting the revenge he desperately wanted.

Part Two

“REF! YOU f**kIN’ SAW THAT! WHAT THE f**k IS WRONG WITH YOU, ARE YOU BLIND OR SOMETHING?? THIS IS bullsh*t!”

“Nah, I’m not gonna cop that”. The ref marched ten metres upfield and blew another penalty. The sellout crowd was going bananas, and the pre-match underdogs kicked a penalty goal that narrowed their deficit to only two points.

The real drama was still to come. The favourites were showing signs of cracking under the pressure, and the underdogs had built up some momentum on the back of a few penalties. And when their halfback booted a 40/20, there was almost a sense of inevitability that they’d soon be taking the lead.

They spun the ball wide from the back of the scrum, and the pass bounced in front of the centre. As he tried to pick it up, he saw his opposite number screaming up out of the line to smash him – so he patted the ball while trying to put some footwork on, then managed to pick up the scraps and get the ball out to his winger. The lunge for the corner was a mangle of arms, legs and a corner post – but the winger got up looking pretty confident.

“KNOCK ON! KNOCK ON!!”

“HE’S OUT!”

The referee looked at his touch judges, paused for a couple of seconds, and pointed to the spot.

Part Three

Revenge can be a tricky thing to plan. The best-laid plans aren’t always going to work out – but every so often, even though it sounds crazy, you can get a sense that the universe is on your side. Things start falling into place, the goal gets closer, and you know your years of planning and hard work are about to give the ultimate payoff.

And that was exactly how he felt. The pain of losing that Grand Final all those years ago was just as strong as ever, which made the position he found himself in now even sweeter.

He watched as the scrum was fed, and he knew where the ball was going to go. The fumble by the centre wasn’t part of the plan – in any other situation, it would have been called a knock-on – but the pursuit of revenge had firmly taken hold.

When the winger dived across, the touch judges were going crazy. “Duke!* Duke! You’ve gotta check this one mate, I reckon he’s out. Check the knock-on as well.”

He paused. The call was entirely on his shoulders. Fifteen years of planning had culminated in the perfect opportunity to bury the demons of that Grand Final loss to the Broncos in 2000.

He pointed to the spot. The Broncos were gone, and the Roosters claimed the Premiership.

Duke took a deep breath, careful not to let a smile slip out.

Revenge was sweet.

(* Name has been changed to protect the “innocent”)

===============================================

746 words between the lines in the official counter. Any formatting due to the forum word censor is unintentional. GO THE PANTHERS!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

The Most Important Men in Rugby League History

They have never represented their country. They never played for their state. They never even played first grade rugby league. Yet they are definitely two of the most important men in Rugby League history.

In 2005, Shawn Dollin, a web developer and Rugby League history buff, decided to make his own website detailing match details of all first grade games played in Australia. From these humble beginnings the website has become a massive resource with limitless bounds.

Shawn spent several years scouring newspaper articles and archival video footage of games, while working in conjunction with fellow fans frustrated with the limited data available on their great game, in his quest to have the most accurate resource on rugby league history ever compiled. Some may well have though he was mad.

In 2008, the equally mad Andrew Ferguson asked Shawn if he could assist with his website. Shawn agreed and a magnificent partnership was born.

Both men’s passion for history and statistics started many years ago and oddly enough, in cricket, where both excelled as players. Andrew’s passion began the day his tiny rural village finally received television reception in 1988, and the first thing he saw on television was Balmain defeating Cronulla 9-2 in a semi-final.

In 1991, while watching Illawarra v Gold Coast on the ABC, Shawn recalls watching Allan McIndoe score five tries and pondered, “I wonder if that has ever happened before in a game.” And a lifelong purpose was born.

For both, they had always wanted to reveal more of the game’s history as they grew frustrated with the quality and quantity of data currently available. Andrew had begun compiling data for a book he hoped to publish when he stumbled across Shawn’s website. Instead, he found a man with a similar rationale and enthusiasm for recording the games history that it just made sense for them to work as a team.

Their passion wasn’t restricted just to the game in Australia either. The complete lack of information regarding first grade games played in England as well as international matches not including Australia, compelled them to expand the website further to include these matches. This addition lead to more additions, such as tour matches and interstate fixtures which weren’t recorded anywhere in any great detail either.

The more they researched, the more they learnt about other competitions as well, like mid-week cups, pre-season competitions and other such smaller competitions which have all but been forgotten in Australia and England.

The thirst for knowledge, genuine intrigue in the history of the game and the prospect of being involved with what could prove to be the best rugby league resource in the world, coupled with a belief that they can do a better job than many others have done in the past, is what drives this great team.

Shawn states that his only real hurdle is trying to find an effective and efficient way to enter the data into the website meaning he is constantly writing, tweaking and creating all sorts of different tools and scripts for the site. Their only other real issue is a lack of resources. Generally this forces them to a state library.

Unfortunately for the site, Shawn’s visits to the library have been less frequent since becoming a father in 2007. Shawn laments “Unfortunately for me, it’s not entirely appropriate to babysit in a library,” however given the opportunity, it wouldn’t be surprising if he chanced it at some stage.

Given the massive amount of data which these two plan to provide, they are realistic and understand that this would become a lifelong project, yet are not at all daunted by the prospect. The information is constantly being updated and improved on an almost daily basis, which keeps them believing that their goal is definitely achievable.

They regularly receive comments from players and officials, past and present, absolutely amazed and thrilled that they finally have an online record of their career.

The site has been referenced in a number of recent books, is a major source relied upon by Wikipedia and has also helped with family history requests. It is constantly evolving and is now more than just facts and figures, it’s the ultimate interactive resource.

Shawn and Andrew could thank many people for what they’ve achieved so far, but most importantly they thank the most important person of all.

Alan McIndoe.

737 words including title, according to Official word counter.

Sources:
Shawn and Andrew's site - www.rugbyleagueproject.org
Shawn and Andrew's cricketing prowess - They are Australian.

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro posting for the Panthers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Snap Decision

My younger brother, Dave, was a loose cannon.

I was always envious of his talent. I got the brains. He got the natural ability and the looks. He'd even been signed with a Sydney club, so he was destined to play in the NRL. The only thing stopping him was his own behaviour.

Dave was a free spirit - he drank, smoked, and would talk to anyone and everyone. Not always great when you're a 16 year-old kid, though. Mum and I worried that if we let him go off on his own, we'd never see him again. He wasn't much for thinking about consequences.

The problem culminated on the night of the 2003 grand final between Penrith and the Roosters, which Dave and I had tickets to.

By all accounts, it was one of the great grand finals. I don't remember much about the game, though. He was making a nuisance of himself and I had to repeatedly go looking for him.

After full time, he wanted to go off with some delinquents. I took one glance at them. Older lads. Drugs for sure. No way, I told him. He yelled at me and made a scene. Normally I would reason with him, but I'd had enough, so I yelled back. I told him to pull his head in. It took him by surprise - I never talked to him like that. That was it. His "mates" had a van waiting and he took off. I chased him.

He jumped in and started to slide the door shut.

That moment is burned into my brain. I can still see his young face looking at me. It haunts me. I had to make a snap decision.

Self preservation won out and I let it close.

The van tore off up the road. Furious, I tried his mobile. It was switched off. F*** it, I thought. He can look after himself from now on, I'd had enough.

I headed over to the trains and waited in line to head home, alone. I spent most of the time convincing myself that Dave would be alright. It wasn't quite working though.

I sat on the train, staring out the window into Sydney's suburban darkness. Dave should be right, I reasoned. He'll be smart enough to get himself on one of the later trains home.

I reached my destination and mum's car was waiting to pick me up. Well, pick us up. I opened the door and hopped in.

"Where's Dave?" was her obvious question. I gulped. I hadn't prepared for this moment too well.

"Mum, it's a long story. He was being a real bastard tonight. He was drunk, talking to everyone ... he jumped me. Went off in a van with some people he'd met."

"WHAT? John, you know better than that! Why didn't you stop him! He could be anywhere!" Mum was furious, of course. I didn't blame her. I suddenly started to feel guilty, like I could have done more.

"You didn't see him, he was crazy, yelling at me ... I tried to stop him but I couldn't, and he's turned off his mobile!"

We argued all the way home. The more we argued, the more stupid I felt. Why didn't I stop him? What was wrong with me? What the hell were we going to do?

We stayed up for hours, making sure our mobile phones were charged, not moving an inch from the home phone. Of course we kept trying to ring his mobile, but nothing happened. We finally gave in to sleep.

I will never forget the dream I had. Dave had made it into first grade. He looked older, more matured. He was unbelievable. Mum and I were in the crowd, watching his debut. He carved them up and scored a hat trick, and saluted us after the third. Then after the game, we went into the dressing room to savour the moment together. It was just brilliant.

It was a loud knock at the front door that startled me from the dream. I jumped up noticing it was already mid morning. It must be Dave! Mum and I raced to the door and opened it.

Our faces dropped. Two uniformed police officers, with solemn faces, stood before us.

"Where is he! Tell me he's alright!" Mum barked.

The heartbreak I felt as Senior Sargent Paterson responded is still with me to this day.

"Mrs. Pearson, it is our sincerest regret to inform you ..."

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb for the Panthers

---------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday Night Romance

Sometimes it can be hard to be a fan of the NRL, and perhaps even more so for fans of the Canberra Raiders. The long winter months can be a tough experience while following an underperforming team. This is even harder to endure given the fact that a clubs ‘glory days’ don’t seem to exist in any viewable medium. Sure there are Grand Finals available on DVD, but what about a classic game that took place on a cold July evening? Match videos from years gone by seem to disappear into the NRL archives, never to be seen again. That was until Fox Sports introduced their new show – Chooseday Night Football.

Chooseday Night Football gives the fans a chance to vote for one of three matches per week. The matches nominated hold a common theme, and the one that wins the vote is broadcast the following Tuesday. The Canberra Raiders have been involved with four of the games voted in so far.

In chronological order, the first game shown was a 1998 Round 5 match up with the Manly Sea Eagles. For some reason a memory of listening to this match as a fourteen year old all those years ago had stuck with me. It was before my family had Pay TV, so I was stuck listening to it on an AM radio. Canberra trailed early against a strong Sea Eagles team. On this day it was one of the Raiders young guns who led the side to victory. Mark McLinden had a particularly outstanding match, scoring the match winner in the 78th minute. Seeing this moment took me right back to hearing the excited shouts on that transistor radio twelve years ago, great memories of a simpler time.

The next Raiders game shown was a 2001 Round 8 match up against the Knights. This game was reasonably unspectacular, if not for the fashion in which it finished. With the scores tied and less than a minute on the clock Brett Finch tried to come up with a miracle. Finch kicked the optional restart instead of tapping the ball and passing, if he managed to find touch with the kick the Raiders would have a scrum feed where it had crossed the sideline. The kick sailed out on the full and Andrew Johns accepted the easy penalty goal, which won the match for the Knights. This was followed by the internet’s first mass blasting of a player, as Finch was derided and berated from all corners.

The strengths and weaknesses of youth in the NRL were summed up well between these two games. There was the individual brilliance of McLinden saving the Raiders against Manly, while Finch’s gamble against the Knights illustrated the harsh realities of NRL football. This was similar to how the world seemed to be a playground when I was fourteen, but by 2001 I was seventeen and full of trepidation about entering the real world.

The Raiders following two matches were from their stellar 2003 campaign. The Raiders really put it together that year, racing out of the gate and achieved a rare top four finish. The Raiders played Manly in Round 22 at Brookvale Oval. Simon Woolford was sent off early for a high tackle, but this was no stumbling block for the Raiders. They destroyed the Sea Eagles 51-16 with twelve men. My memories of watching this game originally is that it was the first time in the season I really thought that side was a chance at winning the competition, a feeling I have not experienced since.

Next was the 2003 final round clash against the Sydney Roosters, with both sides in the mix for the Minor Premiership depending on results. The Raiders lost that day, but the carnival atmosphere at the ground shows what a successful football side can bring to the community. There was still plenty to smile about on this given Sunday; the side had a great component of youth that promised so much success. Sadly, as we now know, the Raiders never delivered the anticipated results.

I would like to thank Fox Sports for giving me the chance to watch the Raiders I grew up following. Seeing these games really gives the viewer a chance to look back, see how some players kicked on while others fell away in the following years. I only hope the success of Chooseday Night Football helps widen the accessibility to older Rugby League content, and the romantic memories that entail.
-----------------------------------------------
750 words including the title

Last edited:

The Piper

Juniors
f7s_panthers_1.gif
Piper for the Panthers
---
The Piper’s Annual Season in Review Article

I am still undecided as to how positive the overall 2010 National Rugby League season was as compared to recent years. As in most years, there have been several standout players, clubs and moments.

The few which deserve mentioning would include the Sydney Roosters fighting back from obscurity, Jarryd Hayne showing his dominance once again and the State Of Origin series...if you are a Queenslander that is.

If the matches have sparked the same passion from the supporters as last year, or if the players have produced performances expected of the greatest league competition in the world, I am not so sure. But what I am sure of, is that the articles produced week in and week out over this year’s Forum Sevens competition are second to no season.

League players are always saying that the game changes over time. It gets harder and faster; players get tougher and stronger. It is certainly the case in the Forum Sevens, too.

For the past three seasons, anyone who follows the F7s would find it hard to argue that the Newtown Bluebags and Gold Coast Titans have been the two most dominating clubs in the competition. They are full of courageous high scorers and led well from the front by masterful captains. The Titans have made two grand finals in two years of existence and the Bluebags have won more competitions than any other F7s side. Both a new side and foundation club, they are again still in it to win it, at the end of this year’s season.

Other teams to reach the 2010 F7s finals are another newly formed team in the Dragons and another old hat in South Sydney. In only their second season, the St George side are still amongst the contenders for the premiership title. This is the fifth F7s season that the Rabbitohs have made it to the finals.

I began my Forum Sevens career in 2004, during the Penrith Panthers most recent reign as premiers. It had inspired me to take up this interesting game which involved my hobby of writing with my passion in league. The Backpacker marked that first game. I think I got 81. I was content with that score. It was the average score of the team and I believe we may have won.

Since my debut six seasons ago, I have seen many rules rewritten, I’ve seen a higher calibre of players as well as true sportsmanship. These changes have occurred in both rugby league and Forum Sevens.

I am not sure if the referees in forum sevens are looking for anything different in the articles these days than previously (and on referees, in the NRL, I’m not sure what referees are looking at half the time), but I think the players, such as myself, who have been around for some time now want to try to add a touch of flair to everything they write; something original which has an X factor. The new players to F7s have come in with a fresh way of thinking and writing and I enjoy their work immensely as well.

But back in the day when the Panthers were top of the table in the NRL, if all the members of your team were producing a score that was between the seventy to eighty mark, your team would have a damn good chance of winning their match.

Today, the statistics don’t lie. In last year’s grand final, the Newtown Bluebags 445 defeated the Gold Coast Titans 444. During this season’s final rounds, the St George Dragons and Newtown Bluebags produced a draw, 443-all. In the past week’s preliminary semi final, we saw the Penrith Panthers 443 defeat the Gold Coast Titans 442.

The Penrith Panthers may be finally back at the right end of the NRL ladder, but the game has changed forever and there is no going back. It is the same case for the F7s. The game is exciting, the articles are inspired, the referees are dedicated and the players turn out each and every fortnight with new and improved material. (Here I am writing another season review – I see the irony).

Looking back, with maybe not the greatest year of league, it has definitely been a successful season of Forum Sevens in 2010. I have to say, that to stay at the top of this ladder, scores of eighty are just not good enough any more.

---
744 words says the official counter.

Rexxy

Coach
Give Us Back Our Premierships

Rex C Hunt for the Bags

jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

Ask any supporter. Who is the most famous team in the league? Answers are usually Souths or Saints. It stands to reason. Long histories. So many seasons of success. Souths have won twenty premierships, whilst the Dragons have scored 15 – including the remarkable 11 in a Row. That’s a combined tally of 35 out of a possible 101, or around a premiership ever three years, over the entire history of the comp.

But overnight the Dragons Premierships disappeared, as quickly as a Julia Gillard majority. According to the NRL the next Dragons Victory - should Allah and all the ahem, Saints be so kind - the club will be on One.

Uno, Un, Bat, Satu and Ichi. Even all multiplied by each other it still equals one. And as John Farnham knows, that’s the loneliest of them all.

The people in power say the Dragons history stopped when St George merged with Illawarra. But the NRL itself is a merged entity, only coming into being in 1998. Did the superannuation of the continuing employees stop when the name changed from the ARL to the NRL?

In a world run by lawyers, where QCs help footballers fight charges at judiciary, there is something known as precedence. If you can show how the law applied in one case, you can argue that it should be the same in similar cases.

Take Newcastle, who left the competition only to return some 80 years later. Their history combines both epochs. To deny this honest, hard working league town anything less would be an outrage. And a rip off for the man who played in both the 1908 and 2010 side - Adam McDougall.

Then there's Steve Beaver Menzies. A crowd favourite up Brookvale way, he holds the club record for the most number of tries scored by a forward. This record includes tries he scored with the Northern Eagles, a short-lived venture between Manly and the Bears. Why is Manly allowed a continuum where the Dragons aren't?

This year, as we sprint towards the semis, spare a thought for people trying to make sense of this. Steve Slippery Morris played for the Dragons in a Grand Final. He played in the Red V and going into the game, the club was on 15 Premierships. His son Brett is playing this year. Should he make the Grand Final, then Brett will be playing for a team called the Dragons, wearing the same red and white jumper, but going into the match with a zero premiership count.

The same can be said for Dean Young whose Dad played in the 1977 and 1979 grand final winning sides, and injured Bronx Goodwin, whose father Ted scored the greatest grand final try of all time.

To maintain a meaningful narrative, the NRL need to keep our myths and legends alive. These are the fables and folklore we hand down to our children and our children’s children. It's the stories of men who walked up the mountain to become Gods, only to walk down that mountain mere mortals and brothers. The NRL also needs to update the number of Dragon trophies to avoid being a laughing stock.

Fitzroy Lions were allowed to transfer their history when the team was absorbed into the Brisbane Lions. "Allowed" is probably the wrong word, they were encouraged. Same too when the South Melbourne Bloods headed north up the deadly Hume and changed from signets into Swans. See the difference between codes? The AFL actually love their clubs and their tradition.

Which NRL flunky will be man enough, come Grand Final day, to look man mountain Norm Provan in the eye and say “Sorry Sticks, Dragons won Nothing”. They won’t. Not because Norm played in ten winning grand finals, four as captain-coach, (one of the greatest feats in any sport) but because even at 70 he could still punch several shades of shyte out of any of those 40-something Nothings.

To not acknowledge the next Dragons Premiership as number 16 will not only be an insult to any player who bleed on Kogarah Oval, or any fan who ever cried a tear or spilled a beer, it will also be plain nonsense.

How's Ray Warren going to sound saying "Norm Provan who won ten Dragon premierships is handing the Telstra Cup to Ben Hornby, the Dragons first ever Premiership winning captain"

"Did I just say that?" says Ray. "Where's Middleton? I don't need his help to sound like a total idiot."

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags

KFC-Gate
KFC_100901-neg.jpg

Breaking news

The NRL is in turmoil today following allegations that St George Illawarra Dragons players were littering in the car park of a fast food outlet on the New South Wales south coast.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust confirmed that the offence took place at a KFC outlet.

"KFC stands for Kentucky Fried Chicken," Doust said.

"My office has done some extensive research. I believe it is a world-wide franchise started by southern American landowner Colonel Sanders.

"Apparently they have menu items that are considered 'finger licking good'." Doust added.

Dragons sponsors have reacted angrily.

"The whole thing has been a c**k up!" Crowed the unnamed sponsor.

"I don't want to see the boys tarred and feathered for this, but they are supposed to be professional footballers! Hell, they're not playing for chicken feed!"

Meanwhile, many fans are sticking by the players, hinting at the possibility of fowl play. Amidst claims that the footballers may have been under the influence of a 'bucket load' of secret herbs and spices, one anonymous source placed the blame squarely on the shoulders of the fast food giant.

"Everyone knows that stuff deep fries your brain," he said.

"You only have to look at what goes on behind the chicken shed to know that it should be KFC's head on the chopping block!"

[Advertisement]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIhf41ctkM

What's a white guy to do when he awkwardly finds himself in a crowd full of black folks? KFC has the answer.

This is not the first time KFC have been at the forefront of PC madness. In 2009 the sporting world was momentarily rocked by an alleged racist TV advertisement during the West Indies Cricket tour of Australia. The Australian TV campaign featured West Indian supporters eating fried chicken at a staged Australian venue. The vision was picked up by a couple of amateur YouTube commentators in the USA. Without checking their facts, they immediately labelled the advertisement as being offensive to African Americans. Of course they missed the point, the story went viral, the yanks went ballistic and voices of reason were shut down. The fact that this advertisement did not feature African Americans, and Australia and the West Indies share a great mutual respect for cricket, was lost on large sections of the American media. The advertisement was eventually pulled off Australian airways, the Aussie head-office for KFC caving to demands from their southern American landowner masters. Funny on so many levels.

Sadly, the above paragraph is all true. Irony and the theatre of life. Indeed, fact is often stranger than fiction and people do allow their sense of moral outrage to get the better of them. In a world of crazy dealings and real heartbreak, I consider it extraordinary that so many people find so much time for the trivial things of life. In 'breaking' this Dragons story, the Illawarra Mercury had the audacity to preempt proceedings on Twitter with the statement "big Dragons scandal tomorrow". Scandal? Spare me the last drum stick.

Yes, a few players had a few drinks (it was their night off), and yes they were in good spirits while waiting for their meal ("Boisterousness" according to the latest Doustism), and yes they may have littered in the car park - something I certainly do not approve of. But let's get real here... how did this make the news? Apparently a member of the public complained and a 'news' writer looking at his deadline had to fill some empty space in an otherwise vacuous afternoon. Of course the real crime here is the attack on the reader's intelligence.

But I digress. Back to the stand up routine...

In what has been described as a media feeding frenzy, the 'KFC-Gate' episode has drawn criticism from all quarters. Numerous club chief executives have demanded to be kept abreast of the situation while sources close to the NRL are saying the Dragons have egg on their faces.

A unnamed Bulldogs spokesperson stuck his beak into the fray and was reportedly outraged by the players' actions.

"I'd like to wring their necks," he exclaimed.

"Why should St George get away with it?" When we were caught with just a few dogs in the hen house the media carved us up!"

The Roosters were unavailable for comment.

Dragons legend Johnny 'Chook' Raper flocked to the club's defence. In an eggsclusive interview, Chook Raper made the following telling comment.

"It's obvious the whole saga has been one bad joke."

|750 words|

Ref: Fairfax Media http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-kfc-incident-20100826-13uab.html?autostart=1

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Drew-Sta takes a deep breath and leaps out in faith for the Bluebags...

---

Ghosts of the past

An older man stands shovelling gravel silently in the wet. The drizzly weather cares not to cease and allow his work to continue with greater ease. Despite the conditions, he continues to bend his back in an effort to complete his work. Dedication is personified.

Looking toward the field, the man stops as an apparition appears. Another man, hair ruffled yet brylcreem clearly running through, barks orders at a set of faceless soldiers. Despite missing teeth, there is a biting edge to his voice.

“Killer, ya can’t be serious!”

“Round it out an give me another set you soft arse. Do yer think Souths will have a hard time getting’ through our wall if you are dragging yer legs?”

The man continues to growl commands before he ran into dummy half. The apparition slowly faded as the play was moved through.

The shovelling man moved back to his work for a few moments before lifting his head and watching again. Another ghost-like movement caught his eye and suddenly an older, balder, stocky man was in vision.

He took a long ball sent his way, motioned to pass then stuck the ball under his arm. A barrage of defenders stormed him like knights at a castle yet through grit and skill he bumped one off before popping a pass to a shimmering image on his outside that bore the faintest resemblance to a dragon.

Too quick was the image to grasp before the ghostly movements faded like a fog clearing.

It's an overused expression to say of a passionate follower of a football club that red-and-green or blue-and-white blood courses through his veins. In the case of St George fans, it is literally so, since everyone is born with red-and-white blood corpuscles.
~ Roy Masters

Again, the older man went back to work. The shovelling was gruelling work, and the drizzle would not allow the task to be eased.

Around him, a cloud of movement and he again stood to look. A group of spectres had gathered and they all seemed focussed on one larger image. A giant man, shoulders broad and an air of greatness, wore a dirtied white jersey with a red V on the front. He smiled as the crowd surrounded him and he happily shook hands.

“Congrats on the retirement Norm, you deserve it!” An older gentleman faintly called.

“Mr Provan! Mr Provan!” cried a small child. “Would you sign this for me?”

Before fading, the towering man looked at the paused worker and nodded with respect, finally disappearing into the ether.

Despite an hour passing the rain still would not let up, yet the worker continued to his task without further pause. Voices of men, asking why, echoed around yet despite the flicker of annoyance he continued to shovel. It was clear the task was an important one, and the worker would not be deterred by the disbelievers.

Another ghost appeared on the field and he peered up from his work to see. Graceful in flight, a sharp step drew attention and the gasp of ‘Changa’ whispered through the crowd as the man ran through and disappeared from sight.

The worker returned to his task, his determination ever present. Finally, the shovelling stopped and the man poured what looked like cement into the hole. Ensuring the slab was completed to his liking the man stood with a note of satisfaction.

Another ghost walked into the scene. The worker looked and smiled.

“Is it time?” the worker spoke.

“That it is, Robert.”

“Will they remember, Fearless?”

Frank Facer hesitated only slightly. “Remember what, Robert?”

“Remember why we need to be here.”

Frank looked around. “Maybe not all the time, Robert. But the legends live on.”

Robert paused, before bending down and writing something into the wet cement.

He and Frank walked off into the ether, disappearing in a few steps to whispers of thank you.

As St George play Souths on Sunday evening at Kogarah, we will remember. We will remember why it's our spiritual home ground. We will remember why we worked so hard to get back there.

You’ll find me at Stoney’s Slab.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=+2]
2005_stoneys_slab.jpg
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/dragons/stone/

Last edited:

gorilla

First Grade
*gorilla spends too much time looking into the sun*

longsleevemedmioni.jpg

Electric Gatorade Acid Tests

Madman looks cool – all that 60’s swagger and ceaseless smoking and drinking, heaving breasts and sharp lapels and tight, shiny black shoes. It is, of course, a manufactured retro-look at what was one of the creative industries of the time, incredibly influential; setting many of popular culture’s frames through which we look at life.

There were some significant movements through the sixties: civil rights, women’s rights, and a youth movement. These movements and the great social change of that era were in direct and stark contrast to the general straight and confining societal mores of the time.

Perhaps the most insane and wild and crazy movement was the trips and hippie movement, which influenced music, art, popular culture, clothing, lifestyle choices, even forming a base for the coming environment generation.

The Merry Pranksters were a group of USA west coast trippers led by Ken Keysey (author: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest ). The Pranksters became famous in that time amongst sub-cultures and, later, into mainstream culture for holding public acid trips. LSD: acid, hallucinogenics. The tests combined music, psychedelic lighting (first use of the strobe for entertainment), settings (art and movies), and last but not least big containers of acid-laced Kool Aid (cordial).

The Pranksters performed and lived in the moment, operating at a high standard whilst under the influence and they developed an almost innate understanding of each other’s reactions and behaviors. They learned to trust each other and allow everyone to be out-front: open and attentive always looking. Personality was celebrated and help provided – “Feed the hungry bee”.

In some ways the Pranksters also lived a great metaphor – they would try and get other people, the straights or the police, to be in the film footage they were always taking as part of making a huge road movie. They drove tripping across the USA from west to east coast, in a multi-coloured, psychedelic painted school bus rigged with sound and roof-top doors. A ‘Weird Load’ sign on the back and ‘Furthur’ on the destination screen. Only Neil Cassady (Kerouac’s Dean Moriarty in On The Road) could have driven that ol’ bus.

245_Hippie_Further_Bus275.jpg

Believe it or not, they remind me of the Queensland State of Origin teams of late. They have a live in the moment attitude - a band of brothers with spontaneity and self-belief to make others ‘part of their movie’. Queenslanders don’t care about what you’ve got going, they just come in and take over with a belief that they will overcome.

The Queenslanders are known for their bonding over mind-altering substances (beer). They revere the FOGS, celebrate personalities and each other’s performances. Their bus trips are legendary, as are the bad trip bus rides the NSW teams had to make to the grounds in Brisbane, but I’m positive there’s not been any “Electric Gatorade Acid Tests”.

In the moment, under extreme pressure, body and perception shot but performing, persistence is born in a group mentality. Who can deny the last minute tries: Walters kicking downfield for the try in the corner, Coyne’s last and against-all-odds plant down for a try and the last set of hands in a chain of nine Queenslanders. Even when gutted by the Super League war, they forged together and won the series three nil.

One of my absolute favourite Prankster metaphors, and one I actually use once or twice a week to help people along with ideas or action or teamwork springs from that old Harvester school bus. They tootled across the country, blowing people’s minds and leaving behind a trail of disturbed mid-western and plains Yankees. They once drove off leaving someone behind at a petrol station, and the Pranksters’ metaphor to describe someone who wasn’t part of the team was that they weren’t on that metaphorical (and literal) bus.

If you were with them, you were ‘on the bus’. You were either ‘on the bus or off the bus’. The gestalt of the group was like family, like special team. There was integration and harmony and you could achieve great things. Being on the bus was the important part, and the Queenslanders are ‘on the bus’ in their game and their performances.

NSW don’t really get it. When Hayne and Ennis missed the team bus (June 2010) to SOO II, it was a cruel reverse life-metaphor where the NSW were ‘off the bus’. NSW players were standing by the road open-mouthed wearing those black, straight-laced shiny shoes and staring at the wild and crazy Queensland Pranksters.

750 universes between the words

Last edited:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
lol, my bad about supersized clock.

Anyway, time is up. A good game there too, methinks.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Here's a good sized clock-a-doodle-doo...

clock_0.gif

Great match. Good luck one and all. Over the the ref :thumn

Newtown Bluebags 438

muzby - Looking Back (OWC 750)
I guess the first thing I have to comment about is how brave it would be to write that. I have spoken about my Grandfather and it practically took everything out of me. It's a beautiful dedication to someone special to many people you've written, it flows beautifully. Well done.

Rexxy - Give Us Back Our Premierships (OWC 749)
These are points that have been constantly discussed before. Everyone has their own opinion about it, and you've presented yours. Still, well written.

Willow - KFC-Gate (OWC 750)
I almost considered marking you down for those puns, but then I remembered this is a serious game. Who am I kidding, I loved them.

Drew-Sta - Ghosts Of The Past (OWC 691)
Very interestingly written. Not much I can say to comment about this, except I feel special having three colours in my blood.

gorilla - Electic Gatorade Acid Tests (OWC 750)
Another enjoyable read, still managing to upset me about our Origin failures.

Penrith Panthers 440

LeagueNut - Revenge (OWC 746)
2002. Memories. I find it difficult to write like this, completely in that perspective. Well done.

madunit - The Most Important Men In Rugby League History (OWC 737)
You know I am not that different. I crave stuff like this, ever since I borrowed the 2000 yearbook when I was twelve. I look forward to entering something like this in the future. For this article, it's a different perspective, and a great personal one. Well done.

Azkatro - Snap Decision (OWC 747)
There was another article in this game, Looking Back. I pretty much cannot find a different way to comment.

edabomb - Tuesday Night Romance (OWC 750)
Wish I had Fox. I remember that game in 2003. I was on a train, listening to the radio. Would've been intense. Nicely written.

The Piper - The Piper's Annual Season In Review Article (OWC 744)
A wonderful season indeed. As a referee, looking forward to the future. Because I know people like you, your team-mates and many others can produce gold.

Penrith Panthers 440 d. Newtown Bluebags 438
POTM - muzby (Bluebags)

Another massive round, very close. Penrith have broken recent tradition to qualify for the Grand Final. Ten articles of high quality. Well done all.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref.

Tremendous reads all round.

Well played Panthers... and good luck in the grand final. :thumn