What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make the effort

2 True Blues

Coach
You changed your post which originally stated SOWARD was eligable!!!! So will SOWARD be allowed to play by the Roosters or what. Cause as you would be aware he is definately required. ?????? Is the club asking the Roosters the same question or what ?????
Or are they going for 100 games this season.... f**k as you would all know we need him.

Don't think there has been a game all season with LEWIS and SOWARD together.

how good would the combo be. Please tell me someone in management is pushing this case to the Roosters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be crossing everything in the hope that we get Soward and Lewis back for the semi's. Reckon they are vital if we are going to go far at the business end of the season.
Reckon the chooks will do us any favours with those two and and making them available for the Jets?

greg

Juniors
As the roosters season is over one would hope common sense would prevail and a concerted effort is made to free up the strongest possible side for us. An interesting scenario in the Bluebag/Rooster partnership in its first year.

bluebag43

Juniors
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens here! I'm sure common sense will prevail and Jamie will play the last game at Henson to qualify!

Jeffles

Bench
The Roosters first obligation is(and should be) to their first grade team. I do not expect them to wanna risk more floggings, more humiliation and more chance of fans and sponsor backlash to help a reserve grade team.

Bluebag

Juniors
Spot on Jeffles, people need to understand that the relationship is not about them doing everything for us but rather Newtown playing its part in producing first grade players for the roosters. So far this year we have had two Jets contracted players play first grade whereas last year we had none. It is a credit to the club we have had this happen. All players worth their salt would prefer to play first grade than PL finals and we need to understand this. The clown who was yelling out abuse to Ricky Stuart was foolish to think that NRL clubs priority is about PL.
Everytime a player goes up we need to be pleased we have done our job in getting them to top form to be selected.
The whole club has had enormous injuries and given that the effort by Paul Young to get the guys to be so high up the ladder this year. Can't recall the last time we were in the top two and with the number of Flegg kids coming up and performing it has been terrific.

Last week while the result was disappointing but not unexpected, No Soward, No Lewis, No Gordon and a kid who did not even get a chance to train with the side against the number 1 team and we only got beaten by 14 was a credit.

HensonRegular

Juniors
Whilst I agree totally that Ricky Stuart's first priority is to the First grade team, he seems to have lost the plot with team selections.

He had 4 halfbacks (or players who can play that role) in his team on Sunday. Finch, Lewis, Doyle, Soward off the bench (and Wing was injured). Of course Lewis, Doyle and Soward all deserve their shot in First Grade, but it is about balance, especially when you have to have halfbacks defending one in from the sideline. Sa was in the 17, and didn't even get on the field.

Good First Grade (and club) coaches don't scuttle the ship.

So if Easts aren't going to help us out, what is the point of being in this deal if we're just the lapdog for Easts to use when and where they like without giving a second thought to the Jets?

I for one would prefer to stand alone and not have to bow down to some NRL club who think they are doing us a favour, even if it means losing more games than we win, at least we'll looking after ourselves as a club first and formost.

Jeffles

Bench
How can anyone think the Roosters are dudding us? You'd have to be geniused to think that. We wouldn't be in this position (finals contention) if it weren't for the Roosters. And this "not sending players down once the NRL side is out of contention" has nothing to do with a feeder arrangement.

Wests Tigers are out of the running but I don't see them stacking the Balmain team. Souths have been out of the running for ages yet they haven't stacked their PL side. This week, the Sharks were confirmed gone and their NRL team is still as strong as it can be. If penrith's fate is sealed by Sunday, the Cougars won't be stacked with big names against the Bulldogs the following week.

Anyone who thinks the Roosters are shortchanging us is off the planet. It is not a case of "Easts aren't going to helping us out," - look at the f**king team and see how many Roosters players there are. That's HEAPS of help.

The point of this deal - I cannot believe some people still need this explained - is to save money so that we can carry on our work. I don't see any millionaires or forum identities knocking on the door at Tempe to come up with the cash to make up for things.

Jeffles said:
How can anyone think the Roosters are dudding us? You'd have to be geniused to think that. We wouldn't be in this position (finals contention) if it weren't for the Roosters. And this "not sending players down once the NRL side is out of contention" has nothing to do with a feeder arrangement.

Wests Tigers are out of the running but I don't see them stacking the Balmain team. Souths have been out of the running for ages yet they haven't stacked their PL side. This week, the Sharks were confirmed gone and their NRL team is still as strong as it can be. If penrith's fate is sealed by Sunday, the Cougars won't be stacked with big names against the Bulldogs the following week.

Anyone who thinks the Roosters are shortchanging us is off the planet. It is not a case of "Easts aren't going to helping us out," - look at the f**king team and see how many Roosters players there are. That's HEAPS of help.

The point of this deal - I cannot believe some people still need this explained - is to save money so that we can carry on our work. I don't see any millionaires or forum identities knocking on the door at Tempe to come up with the cash to make up for things.

whoa, easy there tiger !

think hornet was just sayinng that maybe if we were'nt a feeder club we'd be able to look after ourselves cos it the chooks are'nt goign to look after the jets.
blind freddy could see that we would not be in the finals without the chooks.
if this forum identity wins lotto i'll put that into the club does that count jeffles ?

Jeffles

Bench
I read it differently. HPH says, "So if Easts aren't going to help us out, what is the point of being in this deal..."

It appears that there is a real lack of knowledge. We didn't enter the deal in the hope that they'd miss the finals and stack our team with their NRL players. We are here to save money, attract better players and use some of their players.

He also implicitly summarised the deal as "we're just the lapdog for Easts to use when and where they like without giving a second thought to the Jets" which is not appropriate. As a feeder team, we have to accept a position in the hierachy. The Roosters do give a second thought to the Jets. They give us players, they have moved training sessions, they give us catering options, they invite board members and staff to functions, etc - many functions that have cost them money and that they were not obliged to do. People do not understand that the Jets had it worse last year under Cronulla and that the stand alone position before that was not sustainable in the current climate.

In past years, when our PL side was out of the running, we never stacked the JBC side and we would never have been expected to. Or worse, can you imagine if we sent JBC players down to A Grade after the JBC team fell out of contention for the finals. Our teams at the top end would be flogged.

The expectation that the Roosters (or any other NRL club) would stack their PL team with superstars after their NRL team fell out of the race has been completely fabricated. What's worse is that people bag the Chooks and Newtown when this false expectation is not met. It doesn't make sense.

Bluebag

Juniors
If we were to stand alone again we would not a heap of money as we would not attract any playing talent at all it would be made up of A-graders only as evidenced in 2001. I remember it well and don't want to go back to those days. We have been blessed to have the roosters send us players like Aubusson who is eligible for Flegg and has been a standout as well as a host of other talented young players whom they could have kept in Flegg.

They did not and we are seeing the benefits of their selections. If we are not receiving any good players then why have we been sitting in the top 2 for most of the season. Perhaps its Youngys coaching then.

If we were to stand alone tell who would we sign and how much would they play for?

2 True Blues

Coach
We are a threat to not even retain second place. With saints only one win behind us and only several points for and against. If they beat a depleted Jets side ( even if both teams win this weekend and retain the two point buffer ) on re-union day, they could take out second place going into the semi's with their for and against.

Sharks who are hanging on ( just ) to eighth spot have to beat Saints this weekend...................

On the SOWARD subject how good would it be to have both SOWARD and LEWIS in the same side come semi's. Dont think we can win the grandfinal without them though. Another year of so close but too bad if SOWARD does not play. ONE game short of qualifying is about as close as it gets as well......

Jeffles said:

Jeffles,
I think that you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I'm not expecting that the chooks are going to put their first grade team with the Jets once they are out of contention for the semi's, I was just hoping that if they had the choice of picking Soward to sit on the bench for 1st's or let him play for the Jets for one more game so that he's eligable to play in the PL semi's then I'd hope that they would let him play in for the Jets. But I understand that 1st grade is all that matters, it's just hard to accecpt that there are people in this world who don't want the Jets to be their first priority!!!

As NJF says, if it wasn't for the Roosters we'd not be in the position we are in now. I'm very thankful for what the Chooks have done to help out with the Jets, and the current deal is about a billion times better than we've had with Auckland, Souths, Cronulla.

The main thing is that we're still around, wearing in the magnifcent royal blue jersey for another 100 years!

2 True Blues

Coach
newtownbluebags said:
Roll on Saturday! ;-) :D

HUGE mate.......Let's get the crowd going. That parra game was the biggest crowd for a while, but let's make it humble this Saturday ............;-)