What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mal Alker

Risky_6

Juniors
Word is St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown is interested in luring the Salford captain to the Dragons.

If this does happen, does anyone think Alker can handle the Nrl?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I can't see Salford letting him leave, him wanting to come here or Brown going out of his way to get him here. Especially with Gorrell's form lately, and Alker isn't getting any younger.

Class player though, he'd easily handle the move to the NRL if it was true.

Scott

Bench
How old is he?

He must be getting on. I remember him from the 1997 Super League WCC days...

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Out of contract at end of season.

Now's the time to go, especially if he's serious about international honours.

He'd go great down under, and it'd bring his game on heaps.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Risky_6 said:
Word is St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown is interested in luring the Salford captain to the Dragons.

If this does happen, does anyone think Alker can handle the Nrl?

Yes he could handle the NRL ok if Morley can and he does! But the Reds wont be letting him anywhere, as he'll sign for a further 3 years.

Gaz_E

Juniors
I really rate Alker, great defence, clever around dummy half and hard to put down. With all due respect to Salford, if Alker wants a final challenge and the Dragons offer is for real he needs to go and play in the NRL.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Judging by the carry on in the Salford websites / forums, you'd think the Dragons in trying to sign this bloke, is akin to someone trying to lure Steve Menzies away from Manly!!!!!!

Fair dinkum if they (Salford fans) love this bloke (who I had never even heard of until yesterday) so much, then let him stay there, I'd hate us to take him away from poor old Salford simply to play premier league in Australia, because I can't see him making it into our NRL pack

JasonE

Bench
Wobbygong said:
Fair dinkum if they (Salford fans) love this bloke (who I had never even heard of until yesterday) so much, then let him stay there, I'd hate us to take him away from poor old Salford simply to play premier league in Australia, because I can't see him making it into our NRL pack

So you've never heard of him before yesterday but you say he won't make the Saints pack, how do you come to that conclusion ?

Gaz_E

Juniors
Wobbygong said:
Judging by the carry on in the Salford websites / forums, you'd think the Dragons in trying to sign this bloke, is akin to someone trying to lure Steve Menzies away from Manly!!!!!!

Alker should have been playing as GB's 9 years ago. The fact he plays for Salford has worked against him, and his loyalty to Salford come to think of it. If he'd have been playing for one of the bigger clubs he'd have been a GB regular.

bartman

Immortal
He'd be a handy addition to an NRL pack. A top 17 player for sure I'd say, if he wants to give it a try.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Wobbygong said:

Kidding yourself, he's far better than Dean Young and Gorrell put together. He's better than Danny Buderus IMO (not that I rate Buderus very highly), a real leader and a superb talent. If you think he'd be playing Premier League you really need to see him play.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Wobbygong said:

He'd be too good for the Dragons, who once again wil FAIL to reach the finals! Cant believe you have never heard of Salford, oh but shouldnt I expect that from some Aussie's? Very sad. Consider booking a flight and actually try getting out of Sydney, it has its dividends pal!

Collateral

Coach
JasonE said:
So you've never heard of him before yesterday but you say he won't make the Saints pack, how do you come to that conclusion ?

Because he'd never heard of him until yesterday...

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
He is a fantastic little player. The best defensive player there is a lot more to his game too.

About the only club he wouldn't get a start at is St Helens because we have Keiron Cunningham. But other than that I don't think Alker has another on the same level as him.

I'd love to see him play in the NRL. We'd get to see if Buderus and others like him were frauds, like they make out in the internationals.

THRUM HALL

Juniors
Alker good player and must leave Salford to earn either Honours or Silverware like a winners medal. Salford will always likely be a small team and any decent players likely overlooked

Wobbygong

First Grade
Hey Salford reds WA -I've heard of Salford you tosser if you had read my post correctly, however I hadn't heard of Alker. Sorry to burst your bubble but in Oz we only really discuss players from the glamour clubs like Leeds, Bradford, St Helens etc.

You clowns are dreaming, if he was as good as you reckon bee sting lips Noble would have given him a run in that sub standard Pommie pack by now, and I'm sure other glamour ESL sides would have signed him up long ago.

Any side that has Junior Langi and John Wilshere starting in their side can't be taken seriously, give us a break.

Better than Dean Young!!!!! yeah dream on, now I know you blokes are taking the piss. As for your your comment re the Dragons missing the finals once again, mate we finished equal first in Minor premiership and generally make the semis every year. Let's talk about your two bit operation, when was the last time the Salford Reds won the ESL premiership? Aren't you blokes perennial relegation fodder lol!

WJ

Juniors
SalfordRedsWA said:
He'd be too good for the Dragons, who once again wil FAIL to reach the finals! Cant believe you have never heard of Salford, oh but shouldnt I expect that from some Aussie's? Very sad. Consider booking a flight and actually try getting out of Sydney, it has its dividends pal!

Sorry to burst your bubble but salford are a small, decrepid little club with no fans and a crap stadium so it's little wonder an aussie hasn't heard of them.