What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maloney's hit on Hayne

Shanky

Juniors
Have I missed something about this hit? I thought it was one of the worst things i've seen in a game of league in a fair while, yet he only gets put on report, and there doesnt seem to be a big fuss being made about it by anyone. Even Hayne has said in the paper it was unfortunate and just bad timing. I thought maybe here there would be some outrage, but there seems to be more controversy about Uaisele's dangerous but ultimately legal tackle on Vatuvei.

What I saw was Hayne staring up, and then Maloney ran in, jumped, and elbowed Hayne around the head, all without Hayne even having the ball. I'm not even a Hayne fan, but to me something like that should have been a send off, and looking at at least 4-5 weeks on the sidelines.

Am I alone here?

SDM

First Grade
He didn't get him in the head, was still a dog shot, but the contact is shoulder on chest/shoulder

Shanky

Juniors
even without the head high contact, its still a jumping elbow on a player who doesnt have the ball. hardly a legal shot.

BDGS

Bench
Shoulder on shoulder, hardly one of the worst things that has ever happened.

skeepe

Immortal
It's strange actually, there's been a few off colour incidents but not much has been made about any of them really.

There's the Hayne incident, we've got two players on report for lifting the knees, and Paul Aiton sent off for what was a shocking headbutt... none of the incidents have really been given much air time though.

I'm guessing it's down to it being the first round, but I find it very strange.

Mader45

Juniors
I ain't a fan of Hayne. I hate the way everytime he gets tackled bringing the ball back he does the slowest play the balls ever as he acts precious and mouths of at the tacklers while losing ample time for his team to make metres. Thats the difference between a selfish player and a team player.

But still, the hit was definitely the biggest dog act I saw all weekend. The thing that got me was Maloney was already turning around yelling he didn't do anything wrong before he'd even finished landing from the hit which showed how blatant it was. But it's definitely the intent more then the actual damage that needs addressing with this one.

Would love to know what Hayne said to Maloney around 5 minutes after this when Maloney got floored trying to tackle Hayne.

Meth

Staff member
He didn't get him in the head, was still a dog shot, but the contact is shoulder on chest/shoulder

this

a dog act. will probably get a couple of weeks. maloney needs to cut this rubbish out of his game.

Liddell

Juniors
Hayne has turned into the toughest player in the game over the last few days. Its gone from a dog shot shoulder charge, to flying elbow to the head.

Far from the worst thing we will see this year, and IMO deserves a week, nothing more.

Eels Dude

Coach
It was more of a shoulder charge than an elbow. A dog act yes, worth a week or two suspension but that's it. The Atu kamakaze tackle is getting press because Manu is out for 2 months because of it, even though it's perfectly legal and Etu was stupid enough not to realise if it went wrong there was more of a chance he'd be the one out for an extended period.

Mader45

Juniors
Maloney ripped Hayne's boot off and threw it into the crowd in the first half

Playing soccer all my life and never league, just following it, is sh*t like this actually common or is Maloney just a jerk off? And how the f**k did he get it back? I can't imagine a warriors crowd who couldn't even remotely shut up for a minute of silence for their own countrymen would respect an opposition players boot.

hitman82

Bench
I've been told it's really common but have never seen it myself.

But yes, Maloney is a serial grub and a jerk haha. Love his competitive nature - probably lucky he isn't really big enough to hurt anyone

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i heard the commentators talk about the boot but havent seen footage, i hope there's footage of it somewhere...

I'm with Mader 45 - who gave the boot back? cos i would have thrown it deeper into the stands

God-King Dean

Immortal
Playing soccer all my life and never league, just following it, is sh*t like this actually common or is Maloney just a jerk off? And how the f**k did he get it back? I can't imagine a warriors crowd who couldn't even remotely shut up for a minute of silence for their own countrymen would respect an opposition players boot.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that. f**king disgusting.