What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Management

shear_joy9

Coach
Please don't see this as a knee-jerk reaction to the previous two results but, what would it take to have a change of management in the Raiders?

Would love a similar type arrangement as the english football club Ebbsfleet United and myfootballclub members.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFootballClub

I'd love the club to be managed by a group of supporters.

Brimmer

Juniors
I won't debate whether management are crap or not. But we seem to forget, Don isn't lacing his boots up and dishing out the pus we see week in week out.

The PLAYERS are responsible. Blame management all you want and lets keep the players shielded from all criticism. The players are sh*t and most wouldn't play first grade anywhere else. Not because they don't have that potential. They just aren't realising it. The buck stops with them in my opinion.

Now I now what some people are going to say. Player recruitment and appointment of playing staff is managements problem. But what is to say that our playing staff are doing everything right?

Can anybody prove that they aren't doing what is required? Sometimes players just need to step up and be counted. Seriously, we need to get the big broom out and it starts with the players.

Bay56

First Grade
I won't debate whether management are crap or not. But we seem to forget, Don isn't lacing his boots up and dishing out the pus we see week in week out.

The PLAYERS are responsible. Blame management all you want and lets keep the players shielded from all criticism. The players are sh*t and most wouldn't play first grade anywhere else. Not because they don't have that potential. They just aren't realising it. The buck stops with them in my opinion.

Now I now what some people are going to say. Player recruitment and appointment of playing staff is managements problem. But what is to say that our playing staff are doing everything right?

Can anybody prove that they aren't doing what is required? Sometimes players just need to step up and be counted. Seriously, we need to get the big broom out and it starts with the players.

We have the same salary cap as other NRL clubs but by your own admission one of the worst rosters yet we find ourselves fined for being over the cap for the third year running.

Reports indicate we may be paying up to $240K for the services of an average player in Nathan Smith yet failed to meet Weymans demands of $150K.

We are now one of the clubs most player managers steer clear away from having not looked like a serious finals contender for many a year.

We've been coached by two coaches with records less than 50% and have now contracted a coach without any NRL FG experience (and I wonder why) after reportedly knocking back an offer from the most successful coach of recent times.

Have I missed much ... yea I blame all that on the cleaning lady.

Brimmer

Juniors
Like I just said Bay,

I won't debate that management are crap or not. But to never level any of the criticism at the people actually losing the games week in week out is a bit much for me.

Could management get better. Most probably yes, but to blame them for every inept performance only vindicates the players who simply aren't performing.

shear_joy9

Coach
I'm more concerned about the club's recruitment policy, and future direction.

The shambles over the coaching situation highlights how inept management are.

I am very curious to find out the Furner's salaries.

Bay56

First Grade
Like I just said Bay,

I won't debate that management are crap or not. But to never level any of the criticism at the people actually losing the games week in week out is a bit much for me.

Could management get better. Most probably yes, but to blame them for every inept performance only vindicates the players who simply aren't performing.

You can blame the players till the cows come home Brim ... at the end of the day management has contracted them and pay their wages ... AND THEY ARE THE COMMON FACTOR ... if you continue to contract average players you will get average results ... its a simple equation that other clubs face and often find a solution

... the signing of Smith for a reported $240K is just another example of where management have not learnt from the past

... the signing of a coach with no prior FG experience is a risk, no make that a RISK, which this club can not afford at the moment ... yet they made that decision within 24 hours of receiving news of Henry and reportedly with Bennet having offered his services ... tell me where that makes sense.

It is all the small things that we get wrong that result in the mess that we find ourselves in 2008, some 7 years after we were told it was all going to turn around.

As I said Brimmer, I'm a passionate supporter of this fine club, but an avid critic of the people who run it.

Brimmer

Juniors
No problem mate...

I feel your pain. But the players are to blame. They are the ones that get results at the end of the day.

One thing you fail to aknowledge is that players don't want to play here. That's why we have to pay overs for any player. I agree, having a rookie coach isn't going to help this one iota. But at the end of the day, he has paid his dues. He's deserving of a crack. How long a crack depends on his performances and I agree that nepotism is rife at the club.

The Wayne Bennett saga is surely not something you can pin on management though. If you want somebody to blame there, that falls squarely on Henry's shoulders. When Benny asked if we required his services we all thought Henry was here for the long haul. I think we would be all too naive to think that they didn't pick up the phone and see benny was at as soon as they heard of Henry's descision. Benny had already made up his mind by then I have no doubt about it.

One thing management really needs to do is to harden the *uck up. Hopefully this might be demonstrated with them standing their ground on the campese contract. We have been guilty of being too nice to our squad in the past. If I was management, I would be trying to keep the current crop of u/20's staying here in Canberra.

Somebody needs to read our players the riot act. Most of them are playing for contracts, what more incentive do these players need? They are simply underperforming. We've been unlucky this season with injuries and what not but it is no excuse for our current standing on the ladder. Carney is a classic example. He wanted sh*tloads of money. Canberra obliged and so far he's dished out sh*t. His kicking and passing game has been ordinary at best.

Dropped ball and poor execution can't be blamed on management either. Sure... maybe Henry but I'm sure he's not having dropped ball drills.

Few things I think we should applaud management of late though is the signing of flannagan, the attempted signing of Barrett and Millward and the fact that we aren't being held to ransom from mediocre players no more. What about keeping Carney and Purtell? I thought they were both as good as goooooone.

Lets take weyman for example... he's not worth any more money. He plays a 1/3 of the season and when he does play he has some suicidal brain explosions that not only affects his buying power but affects the whole team performance as well.

To weyman... I was a big fan. But see you later. He's had enough time to shine.

Management in the hunt for shillington is another thing we should applaud.

I just want you to realise bay that this is not a one-way street. Management can only TRY to get players. It depends on what the players want... we can't hold a gun to their heads.

Another thing we should all aknowledge is how much the player managers have a say in this. I'm convinced most of them would say to players... let's bend canberra over a barrel. These guys are sydney based and tell all the people (whom they should have best interests for) that canberra is a cold boring town. We will always have to pay more for Sydney or Qld based players... it's as simple as that.

I think management are doing a good thing by fostering local talent. They've been doing it for years. This has to be applauded.

Things could be a damn site better but they could also be a damn site worse.

Brimmer

Juniors
Maybe we should be firing darts at channel nine for not giving us enough coverage too. Thats another huge factor that should be taken into consideration.

Winston Smith

Juniors
Maybe we should be firing darts at channel nine for not giving us enough coverage too. Thats another huge factor that should be taken into consideration.

Hard to blame them when the Raiders serve up the dire crap they've played the last couple of weeks. Canberra will always struggle with coverage as they are not a major market for Nine. To get coverage the Raiders need to be really attractive and entertaining as a spectacle, enough to make them a commercially attractive game to broadcast.

Winston Smith

Juniors
I'm more concerned about the club's recruitment policy, and future direction.

The shambles over the coaching situation highlights how inept management are.

I am very curious to find out the Furner's salaries.

I'd be fascinated too. By the way, what was Don Jr's background before he got his Raiders job (apart from his surname?)

Bay56

First Grade
Not sure about Don Jnr but my understanding is that Hawkins was running the pokies at the QLC.

I would challenge anyone to show me that the likes of Don Jnr presented a resume to the board with experience in the area of professional football operations.

Bay56

First Grade
I feel your pain. But the players are to blame. They are the ones that get results at the end of the day.

Which players Brimmer ... Drew?, Howell?, Boogs?

As I said mate there has been one common factor in the past seven seasons ... management .. not average players who have been contracted, come and gone.

dubby

Bench
bay every club has its nuffies mate, just go and ask each fan of a particular club which player/s they want to see vanish. Its just not us.

I dont think management are to blame, but I really hope they light a fire under Neils butt this week,if our guys dont turn up this week then Neil Henry should be sent packing. Strong leadership and some balls are required to do necessary things under adversity. This team has not performed all year bar 40 mins against the Storm. That aint good enough.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Another constant over the past 10 years of average results has been Bay's whinging :)
based on Bay's thoeries about constants being to blame, if we can somehow convince him to quit yammering on, we'll be premiership winners before the year is out

Bay56

First Grade
Another constant over the past 10 years of average results has been Bay's whinging :)
based on Bay's thoeries about constants being to blame, if we can somehow convince him to quit yammering on, we'll be premiership winners before the year is out

You've also been a 'whinger' over part of that period.

Somehow you've been conned into believing that Donny & Co are making a difference ... unfortunately results on and off the footy field would indicate that is not the case.

But yea, i suppose if I stop 'yammering on" as you put it, all will be well and we'll be holding up the cup in September :lol:

A classic example of how alcohol has a detrimental affect on ones brain :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
You've also been a 'whinger' over part of that period.

Somehow you've been conned into believing that Donny & Co are making a difference ... unfortunately results on and off the footy field would indicate that is not the case.

But yea, i suppose if I stop 'yammering on" as you put it, all will be well and we'll be holding up the cup in September :lol:

A classic example of how alcohol has a detrimental affect on ones brain :lol:

I was young and impressionable, and sadly those who i thought had an idea, ive now found out to be so bloody wide of the mark, they are in another time zone.

Ive since developed my own opinions based on what ive been told personally and what ive been told by people who actually have an idea... and ive also found any questions i wish to be answered, one D.Furner Jr, is all too happy to oblige, personally via email or occasional phone, which has cast aside some doubts over various things... its a shame you do not have the balls to ask him about your issues bay. You'd be surprised by the answers.

Bay56

First Grade
I was young and impressionable, and sadly those who i thought had an idea, ive now found out to be so bloody wide of the mark, they are in another time zone.

Ive since developed my own opinions based on what ive been told personally and what ive been told by people who actually have an idea... and ive also found any questions i wish to be answered, one D.Furner Jr, is all too happy to oblige, personally via email or occasional phone, which has cast aside some doubts over various things... its a shame you do not have the balls to ask him about your issues bay. You'd be surprised by the answers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you ask this question "why are there three Furners on the payroll"

As i said Nick "conned"

Raider_69

Post Whore
No, i have no disire to know why there are 3 Furners on the pay roll, because the last name doesnt mean much to me, its the job they are doing that dicates my opinion

2 of them are doing a good job. The other, the judgement on his job will be made around midway through next year.

If thats a question you'd like answered, how about you email Don Furner Jr and ask himself?

But as ive said for a very long time, you are all show and no go Bay, you claim to want answers to your questions but thats far from the case, the answers would make you look foolish and you know this, you're much happier to sit behind your computer and snipe away. You lack the spine to actually take the next step and demand these answers.

Bay56

First Grade
No, i have no disire to know why there are 3 Furners on the pay roll, because the last name doesnt mean much to me, its the job they are doing that dicates my opinion

2 of them are doing a good job. The other, the judgement on his job will be made around midway through next year.

If thats a question you'd like answered, how about you email Don Furner Jr and ask himself?

But as ive said for a very long time, you are all show and no go Bay, you claim to want answers to your questions but thats far from the case, the answers would make you look foolish and you know this, you're much happier to sit behind your computer and snipe away. You lack the spine to actually take the next step and demand these answers.

No you email him .. you seem to be quite chummy with him .. get back to me with his answer will ya. Can you also ask what qualifications Donny had when he was given err err offered the job.

Btw Nick what do you classify as a "good job" ... does performance or lack of performance on the football field come into the equation or just the fact that they can organise a good piss-up at the QLC.

And if our on-field performance doesnt improve in say the next 5 years would you still consider they are doing a "good job".

Can you also give me some examples of where these answers that you get from management would make me look foolish.

Latest posts