What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Management

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Some interesting topics raised on NRL 360 tonight in relation to things going on behind the scenes at our club.

- Ikin, Kent and Hooper lauded the way our recruitment system works and seemed to think that it was the way of the future for all NRL clubs. The whole idea of having a "General Manager" with control over recruitment (Ian Millward) and allowing the Head Coach to focus solely on the coaching of the squad is the way that most sporting organisations work overseas (particularly the NFL and MLB) and it has clearly been successful for us this year. Kent and Hooper said that a lot of NRL organisations are looking closely at this system and are looking to implement it over the next year or so.

- The purchase of the club via WIN TV was mentioned, and how we are in a position to demand top dollar with the way we are looking at the moment. Kent and Ikin said that we are a club on the rise in relation to the way our club is run and the way the squad is managed.

- Kent made mention of our footballing departments and how each member of their respective roles are sent overseas as professional experience to study successful systems in bigger sports to see what works, to ultimately bring that formula to our club.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
In English football, it’s called a Director of Football.

It has its pros and cons.

Basically, if they punt the coach, the whole system stays in place, rather than having to start all over again.

Even though Millward has control over recruitment, of course Mary still acts as an advisor. There would be players out there at he wants.

The point you make about the club staying together even after the departure of a coach is the important part though. We don't want another Bennett situation, this new system is so much more efficient.

mickeylane

Bench
Who would have thought this rabble 12 months ago would be teh prototype of the modern day NRL club . I'm stoked for our club and can't see us dropping out of the top 8 for at least the next 5 years..
Lomax
Robson
Herbert
Potentially Field are all guns!!

mickeylane

Bench
Even though Millward has control over recruitment, of course Mary still acts as an advisor. There would be players out there at he wants.

The point you make about the club staying together even after the departure of a coach is the important part though. We don't want another Bennett situation, this new system is so much more efficient.
Im telling you that Mcgregor has the full respect of the playing group and the way players tend to sign for new clubs especially when their tossing up between 2-3 offers they invariably call players to find out how the coaching set up is etc.. I have no doubt the players would be giving one Paul Mcgregor and our coaching set up a glowing report..

Gareth67

First Grade
I am enjoying the success. Will everyone think it is such a great idea when we get the inevitable injuries & start to struggle

Russell border - your right , the Dragons have been blessed as far as injuries are concerned so far this season .
And naturally that indeed has been part of the reason we are at the top of the ladder , could this lack of injuries also have something to do with the training regime itself .

I don't know but those chaps must be doing something right , in fact they may very well be a cut above the rest of the trainers in the NRL . Whatever the case may be they are certainly doing a tremendous job .

BennyV

Referee
Some interesting topics raised on NRL 360 tonight in relation to things going on behind the scenes at our club.

- Ikin, Kent and Hooper lauded the way our recruitment system works and seemed to think that it was the way of the future for all NRL clubs. The whole idea of having a "General Manager" with control over recruitment (Ian Millward) and allowing the Head Coach to focus solely on the coaching of the squad is the way that most sporting organisations work overseas (particularly the NFL and MLB) and it has clearly been successful for us this year. Kent and Hooper said that a lot of NRL organisations are looking closely at this system and are looking to implement it over the next year or so.

- The purchase of the club via WIN TV was mentioned, and how we are in a position to demand top dollar with the way we are looking at the moment. Kent and Ikin said that we are a club on the rise in relation to the way our club is run and the way the squad is managed.

- Kent made mention of our footballing departments and how each member of their respective roles are sent overseas as professional experience to study successful systems in bigger sports to see what works, to ultimately bring that formula to our club.
First point is correct, it's a great set up. However, we got lucky that Millward isnt a bumbling, incompetent numbskull like many of the old boys we employ (see Doust).
Second point shows how far off the mark - we aren't selling to WIN TV, we are making a private sale of 50% of our club to a current board member and his father (who has had significant control over this club via a financial loan) with no visibility into the conditions of the sale. I can't see how this puts us on the rise, it's pure conjecture. 50% of the BoD will be the same incompetent old boys, while the 'new' 50% is unlikely to change considering the ownership.
Finally, I wasnt aware that our football department went on excursions. I know Souths started doing this when McGuire took over and thought it was a great idea. If its true (and I really have question marks of the accuracy of what these shows report) then it's a great move.

giboz71

First Grade
There were signs we were on the rise last year. We missed the 8 by a game and statistically, we were top 4 in most categories. Lack of polish was a weakness which has largely been addressed with the arrival of Hunt and Graham. Even last year, the additions of Vaughan, Nene and McInnes were all excellent buys.

Listening to Kent and Hooper wax lyrical about how great we’re going shows how different perception and reality is. We as fans assume the club was run by buffoons running the club into the ground when in reality is we’re now a model of how modern NRL clubs should be run.

I’m guessing the truth is somewhere in the middle, but the way we are playing right now, and the crowds we are attracting to our home games, it certainly appears we are a very well run club.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Russell border - your right , the Dragons have been blessed as far as injuries are concerned so far this season .
And naturally that indeed has been part of the reason we are at the top of the ladder , could this lack of injuries also have something to do with the training regime itself .

I don't know but those chaps must be doing something right , in fact they may very well be a cut above the rest of the trainers in the NRL . Whatever the case may be they are certainly doing a tremendous job .

Your right gareth.
I always though you new you football.
Lol

giboz71

First Grade

Pickworth must be given credit here.

Not only are there no injuries, the players look exceptionally fit this year. We’re still going strong right till the 80th minute and I haven’t sensed any drop off in games like last year.

Of course, the test will be during Origin and later in the season to see if we’re still going strong.

Interesting to note that all the talk is around less interchanges in the future meaning forwards will need to play more minutes.

Based on what I’ve seen this far, we will be well served when and if this scenario happens.

watatank

Coach
Bennett for example wants to be in charge of all things football and made a point about that while he was with us. I think a lot of coaches want to have control over this as well, Hasler being another example. Bellamy on the other hand actually has a director of football and has for a while. I don't know how much control Ricky Stuart has at Canberra, obviously he's the face but Mullholland started the work that Millward is doing here so it could be a lot of him at Canberra.