What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mander out! - Black in! GB & NZ overturn Australia

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Well here we go! We have a ref with 3 games experience in a test match! SuperLeague matches are hardly as quick as test matches! The question will be, will he be handed the tag of the worst international ref EVER?

Your impartiality must be questioned.

Iafeta

Referee
JJ said:
ozbash said:
[this is getting away from the subject but...... :lol:

are you saying SBW and hunt wouldnt be golden boot/daly m prospects if they played for the warriors ??????

getting off the topic is often interesting...

That's not quite what I am saying. I am suggesting that they wouldn't be at the same stage as they are now - i.e., established 1st grade "stars".

They'd be a few years behind. I think the sytems in Australia are far superior, and they can make more quickly of hugely talented players like them.

Plus - SBW would likely have to start with the Warriors, play 80 min, have play revolving around him etc etc, all of which wouldn't help, I don't think.

I'm not suggesting they're good because they've played in Australia, just that the systems there have sped up their development, and made them more well-rounded players at a very young age

A lot of Australian players have come to the Warriors and said their development systems are far superior than those back home. John Carlaw said it upon arrival, Tony Martin has said it, as did PJ Marsh.

The comment by Geoff Carr on Bartercard being park football is straight out degrading. If its only "park" footy, how come so many Australian clubs scout it week in week out?

There's a lot of good players who have either played this "park footy" or been in their development systems, pretty much all the Warriors, Asotasi, Williams, Hape, Lauitiiti, and countless others. Most of the Junior Kiwis are back there who gave the Englishmen a draw, who went onto give the Australians a touch up. Most New Zealand rep sides that play the Australian invitation sides win emphatically. Buts it park footy?

Run into some of the shoulders and hips you get in Bartercard, and then tell me if its park footy. I wouldn't run into them for quids.

Taiwan RL fan

Juniors
You guys never saw Dennis hale, who robbed GB in the 90's or Alain Sablayroless (all 3 tests 1990 - kangaroos nicknamed him 'salad rolls') or the other frenchie in 86 who was so fat he could barely walk.....

Its part of the game. black will be a real pro in comparison. bennett is so out of order on this one

Paul Condon

Juniors
I've played with Glen Black reffing in Christchurch New Zealand 2 years ago, at Premier club level. He had a Bartercard (National Competition) game in Christchurch that weekend. Bartercard is good hard, fast footy. He is without doubt a stand out ref, and he carries the weight of NZ referees reputation on the line. I would like to see him ref NRL, but I guess the aussies have to protect their own precious whistle blowers who aren't as good as this bloke.
The poms and NZ got together on this issue for 2 different reasons. NZ so we can have a referee doing internationals again, which will help promote whistle blowing in NZ, and the Poms cause he's reffed Super League UK. I guess they are hoping that slightly different rule interpretations between the NRL and ESL may favor them. Didn't seem a problem for the Pom reffing the NZ v Aus games.
Solution for Australia, get NZ referees refereeing NRL, or stop bloody whining. :lol:

Paul

screeny

Bench
The Aussies should be dead set ashamed of their behaviour. Bennett I expected better of but not of Carr, the imbecile.

Insulting NZ like that, calling B'card Cup 'park football' is a slight on RL as a whole. What a penis.

And I honestly don't get the fuss about Black, it's not as though he's going to favour one side or the other, it'll be the same for both sides.

bartman

Immortal
JJ said:
While it's nice to have a ref that isn't from one of the countries involved (interesting comparison with club and SOO footy though), if there isn't one that is of the required standard, then the best available ref should be appointed.
Actually in English league, neutral refs seem to be part of the fabric of club footy. Every referee has where he is from in brackets after his name or announced, and I think the reason why one English top ref did the Superleague Grand Final while the other was doing Aust v NZ in Auckland had something to do with where the refs were from in relation to the Grand Finalist clubs?

Mander should not be pissed off at all, as he is engaged as the (neutral) ref for the NZ v GB games, under the agreed tri-series rules, and as such needs to be over here anyway. Bottom line is Wayne Bennett, Geoff Carr and Colin Love tried to flex their muscles to run the whole show over a petty issue, and they got blown off big time. As an Aussie, it is clear to me that my side's administration was out of line.

innsaneink

Referee
Sems a lot of people have seen this guy ref, not bad considering hes only a park ref.

I'll wait until I see for myself how he goes, seems a bit unfair to comment on the guy without seeing him ref before.

ozbash

Referee
The comment by Geoff Carr on Bartercard being park football is straight out degrading

likewise benny and his queensland comp ref quip... pathetic.

they'll all be singing blacks praises tomorrow. hope he has a beauty and shows up the piss poor standards we have to put up with in the nrl.

Iafeta

Referee
Taiwan RL fan said:
You guys never saw Dennis hale, who robbed GB in the 90's or Alain Sablayroless (all 3 tests 1990 - kangaroos nicknamed him 'salad rolls') or the other frenchie in 86 who was so fat he could barely walk.....

Its part of the game. black will be a real pro in comparison. bennett is so out of order on this one

I remember the French referee in 1994 (I think it was) on the tour of New Zealand, in those days the NZRL allowed the touring side to have a referee from their country. He was easily the most biased referee I have ever seen. He sent Mathew Ridge to the sin bin, awarded a penalty try for a late tackle that Ridge had no chance of pulling out of, and the try wouldn't have been scored anyway (from memory either the ball went out or another Kiwi was coming across). He then sin binned Freeman in that match too, Freeman was cheeky yes, but the penalty count was outrageous - he was penalising New Zealand for blowing snot out their nose. He disallowed a couple of dead set New Zealand tries too.

I believe one of those games from memory was in Palmerston North, he was probably lucky to make it out alive.

Jeffles

Bench
chriswalkerbush said:
The woeful standard of referees from outside Australia and England is the fault of the two biggest bodies in the game- the NRL and the ESL. If they want neutral referees for their international fixtures, maybe they should invest a little cash in training referees from other nations.

EXACTLY!

Money need not be in huge wads of cash. Get Black to referee the odd NRL match instead of calling up a PL ref. It's not hard.

Meanwhile does anyone think Black will ref the final if it is a Lions-Roos match? Sadly I don't.

I don't tink Mander orSmith would be anything but neutral if they handled the match. But it is that they may "appear" bias that should disqualify them.

LeagueisNo1

Juniors
Black only has done 2 Super League matches so is very inexperienced. He will be tested by all the players from both sides. Its fine to have netural referees but the International Federation needs to understand that refs at international level must have some experience.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Its fine to have netural referees but the International Federation needs to understand that refs at international level must have some experience.

EXACTLY! There has to be a line drawn between having neutral referees and having those that are just too inexperienced! :clap:

Latest posts