What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly After A Fullback- take McDonnell

Magpies Forever

Juniors
0,,6603852,00.jpg
Dearly missed ... Manly's regular fullback Brett Stewart. Photograph: Sam Ruttyn / The Daily Telegraph

MANLY are considering signing a back-up fullback for the remainder of the season.
The Sea Eagles are battling, with Brett Stewart out with a serious knee injury and not back until round 18.
Winger Michael Robertson has filled in well but admits himself he is a winger, not a fullback.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal four players being mentioned as potential Manly recruits - Shannon McDonnell or Shannon Gallant from Wests Tigers along with Brent Crisp from the Bulldogs.
Former Newcastle player David Seage - who retired in 2007 because of constant injuries - has also been spoken about.
No player has yet been made an official offer by the club.
Should the player agree to terms over the weekend, Manly may make an announcement as early as Monday.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25411682-5006066,00.html

For godsakkes take McDonnell!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they leave Gallant alone but, on form to date by Sheens & Co, I wouldnt blame Gallant if he was more than interested in Manly.

Last edited:

N.C.

Juniors
Daddy wouldn't release him.

Best wishes Gallant. We'll miss you. Badly.

westie

Bench
So McDonnell will go to the premiers, while we use our 5th fullback of the year. Hmm.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Westie- I rate Gallant so much better than McDonnell. I figure if the story is true either Gallant / McDonnell would be prime targets- and in my opinion I'd rather fight to keep Gallant than McDonnell. I dont think WT would stand in either players way if they did get and offer and wanted to accept.

Given Sheens reluctance to give Gallant a true go in the NRL I could see Gallant being tempted to try his luck elsewhere though.

As for McDonnell, if he wasn't worried about his future in the WT main squad at start of season he should be now- he will be reliant on something happening in the existing backline with injury or suspension to force his way back in. Why not look elsewhere?

westie

Bench
McDonnell should leave. If you're gunna be stuck behind someone (eventually) better it be Stewart than Hanbury and Moltzen.

Gallant is a top quality player right now. McDonnell has more long term potential.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
You've been saying that about McDonnell for nearly 4 years. The guy might have been a decent junior player but he's yet to cut it in the top grade, despite plenty of chances. Can't keep persisting with him forever, even Sheens has dropped him down the pecking order this year.

He's played about 1 game at FB. And was probably 17 when I first had a wrap on him.

McDonnell played 14 games, with the following at 9 fullback
Eels rd 7
Warriors rd 11
Sea Eagles rd 14
Bulldogs rd 17
Eels rd 20
*Broncos rd 21
Storm rd 22
Raiders rd 23
Dragons rd 24
*Rabbitohs rd 26

the games with a * we won, the others we lost

in 2007 he played 6 games with the following 3 at fullback
*Knights rd 13
Titans rd 14
Broncos rd 15

we won the ones with the star

since then he has not been named at fullback. he's won 3/12 at fullback, sure, it's not soley due to him, but it's still piss poor.

source: nrlstats.com

tiger_nick

Bench
Dragons rd 24

Titans rd 14
Broncos rd 15

those 3 games stick in my games as absolute jb howlers. against the dragons and broncos he wasnt on his own but gee he had a shocker. particuarly the back to back games against the qld teams i remember him dropping kick after kick. it was embarrassing

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
isn't it quite stupid to back your head against a stupid wall?

westie

Bench
I thought to myself, if anyone is childish enough, it would be you. Does your carer get free entry to matches?

They should take this bloke.

0,,6520583,00.jpg

No only is he a giant with fantastic positional play but he kicks goals as well.

Or we have:

00015722_Image.jpg

Can bomb a try like the best of them.

macavity

Referee
you owe us bigtime.

we will take those 2 points back thanks.

NFI what Smithy is doing. We have an out-and-out star waiting for a shot in NYC and he signs this nuff-nuff.

Engine

Juniors
I have a gut feeling he might go alright for the knights.

Not worth 200k though and Im glad to see him go.