What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly could miss 14 players through injury and suspension

Ulysseus

Bench
Agreed. They were dead set sh*tting themselves at the prospect of facing their bogey team in the finals. Now thanks to Manly losing...they get to play a 2nd string Manly.

I still think the Eagles can win somehow though.

You guys love to insist upon that hoodoo don't you?
How come most Canberra fans I spoke to seemed to think that the hoodoo was going to be shoved up their arse sideways and one in particular decided to wager $1000 on Canberra to win by 12+........................................ as soon as it was revealed they were playing the Panthers :roll:
A large portion of you seemed to be having these panic attacks along the lines of
"oh f**k, oh f**k, we've owned them for 10 years and now we are going to lose the one game against them that f**king matters!!"
Confidence in extremis?.?

houdini1

Juniors
Look don't get me wrong, I don't hate Manly like some do. I am however happy that matai got pulled up for his grubby ways. But for the list given in the article there was nothing there, apart from the suspensions, that every other team in the eight hasn't had to deal with already this year. Yeah it has all culminated at exactly the wrong time for Manly but the article was rubbish trying to build up one side as underdogs because of circumstance rather than form.

What team has had 14 players injured/suspended or in doubt this year????

To lose 14 out of your top 25 at one hit is unprecedented heading into a finals campaign.

Packy

Bench
It's not like the suspended players were stung by new or interesting rules. They are clearly cavemen.

I do feel for Hasler and the fans for the injured though.

Ulysseus

Bench
Look don't get me wrong, I don't hate Manly like some do.

Same.
They stayed loyal in the super league war, they never appeared in an advertisement for Joyce Mayne and they beat the f**k out of melbourne (aka cheating merkins) in a GF.
If you look at the last bit in particular there is a lot to like.

BUT I have to hate them when they play Saints, its just in the rules.
I don't have to wish them injury, death and the f**king plague like I do the storm though.

Slackboy72

Coach
What team has had 14 players injured/suspended or in doubt this year????

To lose 14 out of your top 25 at one hit is unprecedented heading into a finals campaign.

Well let's just have a look at that.

* THREE Manly players were charged by the NRL match review committee -- Steve Matai, Jason King and Chris Bailey. Matai is looking at a suspension of either seven or nine matches;
Bailey will be free to play after an early plea.
Matai, who knocked out Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis with a late tackle, is expected to plead guilty and be banished for seven games, while King may fight a one-match suspension for a high tackle.
ARL CEO Geoff Carr said Matai could serve some matches in the Four Nations series if selected in the New Zealand squad.

So that's two suspended.

* FIVE-EIGHTH Kieran Foran (shoulder) was ruled out for the season, joining Glenn Stewart (suspended) and injured trio Brett Stewart, David Williams and Shane Rodney; and

That's four injured. One suspended. Curiously Foran is named to start on Sunday.

* REPRESENTATIVE back-rower Anthony Watmough confirmed he is in grave doubt for the final with an ankle injury, while inspirational captain Jamie Lyon is also battling a painful ankle injury.

Two carrying injuries. Both named to play.

King is also carrying an ankle injury while Matt Ballin (concussion), Brent Kite (collarbone), Joe Galuvao (groin) and Ben Farrar (shoulder) are fighting to play.

So three more niggling injuries of unverfied seriousness. All three named to play.

The logical replacement for Matai, Toyota Cup star Dean Whare, is also unavailable due to injury.

One TYC player injured.

So let's tally that up.

Season ending injuries: 4 (1 of which is a TYC player - and former Dragon who we like just let me add)
Injuries that didn't stop selection: 6 (2 of which - Foran and Kite - sound serious enough to warrant non-selection)
Suspensions: 3 (whose fault is that?)

So for your NRL squad you really have 3 season enders, 2 serious injuries, 4 niggles and 3 fools sitting on the sidelines.
So really thats 6 to 8 out, 3 of which are their own damned fault.
Having 6 out is nothing out of the ordinary in the NRL.

eagles4eva

First Grade

So for your NRL squad you really have 3 season enders, 2 serious injuries, 4 niggles and 3 fools sitting on the sidelines.

B Stewart
D Williams
Rodney

Did you forget these three????

You guys love to insist upon that hoodoo don't you?
How come most Canberra fans I spoke to seemed to think that the hoodoo was going to be shoved up their arse sideways and one in particular decided to wager $1000 on Canberra to win by 12+........................................ as soon as it was revealed they were playing the Panthers :roll:
A large portion of you seemed to be having these panic attacks along the lines of
"oh f**k, oh f**k, we've owned them for 10 years and now we are going to lose the one game against them that f**king matters!!"
Confidence in extremis?.?

I've read your post 3 times and still don't know wtf you're getting at. You highlight my sentence saying I think Manly can still win, then segue into someone putting paper on us to beat the Panthers by 13+, and then finally go on about us somehow being scared of you? LOL @ that part btw.

Rewrite your post and get back to me please.
Cheers.

Scarves

Juniors
This year was always a rebuilding type year for the Sea Eagles in my opinion.

Manly started the year with a halves combination that had Foran with 6 first grade games up his sleeve and Hodkinson with nothing to speak of on the resume. Considering the importance of the 7 & 6 positions... somewhere around bottom of the eight was the most likely scenario. After losing the speed players in Brett Stweart and David Williams in Round One, the team was always going to struggle for consistency in terms of results, especially as the long season wears down the players. This is due to Manly not being in a position to put a team on the park that could put an opposition to the sword - blow them off the park with points. The Manly team lacked speed and had to fight all year through the forwards and through physical tactics to win many close games. This trench warfare mentality takes its toll.

It's little wonder suspension and injuries have caught up with the club. Manly have shown in almost every game this year that they were prepared to fight for the physical dominance in the forwards, but in my book it has cost the boys with some sloppy lateral defence in the centre of the park... this sloppy defence turned into late points for opposition teams, many managed to score late tries in either the first or second halves when playing against Manly.

Manly lacked pure speed this season, reflecting the teams that defeated us, we simply were unable to foot it with their fast players. This suggestion is shown in the stats when compared to other teams, how many long range tries we have scored... and then look at how many long range tries we haven't been able to shut down.

Manly as a club need to address this to look to the future on this issue. We had a few good years where we had experienced halves, speedy backs, strong forwards and suffered little in the way of injury... time may have caught up.

Paullyboy

Coach

So that's two suspended.

That's four injured. One suspended. Curiously Foran is named to start on Sunday.

Two carrying injuries. Both named to play.

So three more niggling injuries of unverfied seriousness. All three named to play.

One TYC player injured.

So let's tally that up.

Season ending injuries: 4 (1 of which is a TYC player - and former Dragon who we like just let me add)
Injuries that didn't stop selection: 6 (2 of which - Foran and Kite - sound serious enough to warrant non-selection)
Suspensions: 3 (whose fault is that?)

THANK YOU!

I'm sick of hearing about how harsh it must be for Manly. I haven't checked, but there'd probably be half the teams in the 8 with as many injuries. They are just loading up the excuses because they are sh*t and know they'll lose this weekend.

houdini1

Juniors
This year was always a rebuilding type year for the Sea Eagles in my opinion.

Manly started the year with a halves combination that had Foran with 6 first grade games up his sleeve and Hodkinson with nothing to speak of on the resume. Considering the importance of the 7 & 6 positions... somewhere around bottom of the eight was the most likely scenario. After losing the speed players in Brett Stweart and David Williams in Round One, the team was always going to struggle for consistency in terms of results, especially as the long season wears down the players. This is due to Manly not being in a position to put a team on the park that could put an opposition to the sword - blow them off the park with points. The Manly team lacked speed and had to fight all year through the forwards and through physical tactics to win many close games. This trench warfare mentality takes its toll.

It's little wonder suspension and injuries have caught up with the club. Manly have shown in almost every game this year that they were prepared to fight for the physical dominance in the forwards, but in my book it has cost the boys with some sloppy lateral defence in the centre of the park... this sloppy defence turned into late points for opposition teams, many managed to score late tries in either the first or second halves when playing against Manly.

Manly lacked pure speed this season, reflecting the teams that defeated us, we simply were unable to foot it with their fast players. This suggestion is shown in the stats when compared to other teams, how many long range tries we have scored... and then look at how many long range tries we haven't been able to shut down.

Manly as a club need to address this to look to the future on this issue. We had a few good years where we had experienced halves, speedy backs, strong forwards and suffered little in the way of injury... time may have caught up.

Good points there. I actually fear that the Club has not looked towards 2011 at all. The forwards are an aging pack will no back up in the reserves or 20's. On top of this there is little to no recruiting for next year. 2011 will probably see a further downward spiral out of the 8.

Come on Des, where's the next 5 year plan????

Parra Guru

Coach
tbh they have still named an OK side. But no, I don't feel sorry for them. Never have, never will. And I don't think their supporters would expect any less from an Eels supporter.

It's almost enough to set aside fans' traditional animosity toward the NRL's most hated club.

I found that to be one of the funniest things I have read in the telegraph - and that's saying something

caspersparks

Juniors
well, i hope manly win..

they have played very substanded all season and im sure the stewart/williams injuries crippled them and set the standard for them this year..

the suspension are our own fault.. matai is my fav player, but dude needs to pull his head in..

why should the other fans feel sorry for them? sh*t happens

i just hope next year we can gets sum speed back and stop the 2nd half rot

eagles4eva

First Grade
well, i hope manly win..

they have played very substanded all season and im sure the stewart/williams injuries crippled them and set the standard for them this year..

the suspension are our own fault.. matai is my fav player, but dude needs to pull his head in..

why should the other fans feel sorry for them? sh*t happens

i just hope next year we can gets sum speed back and stop the 2nd half rot

It's the pathetic media starting all this crap and also the fools who read the crap and think its gospel.....

smi962

First Grade
I think its ridiculous the extent to which they have been written off by a section of their fan base saying they will be demolished; and the media have over-exaggerated the level of their crisis.

Glen

Bench
Should be missing 15 players - Chris Bailey's high tackle was pretty ordinary

Will be good to watch Manly get destroyed. If they somehow manage to pull a miracle upset it will be even more fun to watch St George get humiliated in their home final two years running. Win-win

Ulysseus

Bench
I've read your post 3 times and still don't know wtf you're getting at. You highlight my sentence saying I think Manly can still win, then segue into someone putting paper on us to beat the Panthers by 13+, and then finally go on about us somehow being scared of you? LOL @ that part btw.

Rewrite your post and get back to me please.
Cheers.

OK, I'll cut to the point in plain english.
Canberra were no chance of beating Saints at Kograh.
Hope that clears it up.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Hope that clears it up.

LOL Well said.

Canberra are sh*t! Don't know how the the f**k they managed to pull off a streak of wins. As for them sneaking into the 8, I put that down to Manly's crisis and Melbourne's rorting.

I have no doubt Saints would have smashed 'em at Kogarah.

Hope that clears it up.

LOL are you f*ckin serious? We'd hammer you on any ground in the world. You can't hang with us, plain and simple.

Latest posts