What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Deflect Fury Over Funding Cut

McCrud

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/manly-deflect-fury-over-funding-cut/2008/01/12/1199988648833.html

MANLY boss Grant Mayer has hit back at claims the Sea Eagles are turning their back on local juniors. John Thorpe, chairman of Valley United and head honcho of the Australian Hotels Association in NSW, is angry the club must pay an extra $3000 to field teams this season because $50,000 has been cut from the allocation to junior competitions.

"Manly think they can keep screwing the volunteer dads and mums," Thorpe told The Sun-Herald. "I don't think they're cultivating junior rugby league in the area. They never have. It's going belly up. We're in deep waters. Footy around here is going to be overcome by soccer and AFL. It's a calamity. You'd think they'd be putting more money into juniors, not less."

Mayer suggested Thorpe obtain more details before being too critical."Mr Thorpe should check his facts," Mayer said."It's between the leagues club and the juniors. We have no say in it. The money from the leagues club to our football club has also been cut - by $400,000. We're all in the same boat."

innsaneink

Referee
Cant be too long away until we see JRL clubs charging the sort of fees Soccer demands, which is a shame.

Dutchy

Immortal
Wouldnt be this way of the f**king leagues club didnt cut sh*tloads of funding

innsaneink

Referee
Blame this merkin
radiowars.jpg

j5o6hn

Juniors
I wo9uld suggest that you blame the shortsighted clubs,they must have known the the pokie money would be taxed but the Govt the writing has been on the wall for years.
Did the clubs do anything about fixing up grounds,signing up members to the Football club,not that I could see,did they offer anything to the people that go to the ground or are members of the football clubs to keep people cheap tickets ect.
The Govt is also to blame to a degree for there own fiscal stupidity but the smoking bans they must have know that was coming,pokier machines in pubs how much has that cut club takings.
The RL clubs are going to have to get off their bums and start working at attracting people to the code instead of just ignoring them cause they have the pokies,to cover the payments ect.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Manly has to spend it's money to suport it's future. To stay in the NRL a team has to stay competitive. Uncompetitive teams don't attract support nor funding.

Clubs need to bring on young players. How well has Manly's Flegg & Ball Teams fared over the last decade. Our junior comps are weak in comparison with Penrith, Parramatta and South Sydney. Our better players are doing themsleves an injustice by playing in it.

Manly has entered into an arrangment with the Sunshine Coast in QLD and they have twice the juniors Manly has and their numbers are growing rapidly. SE QLD has only 2 NRL teams. There are lots opportunies to recruit young players there.

Manly realises it has to become more of a recruiting club that it has been in the past when it comes to younger players. Therefore this is where there is value for it's buck.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
APRIL BELLE said:
Manly has entered into an arrangment with the Sunshine Coast in QLD and they have twice the juniors Manly has and their numbers are growing rapidly. SE QLD has only 2 NRL teams. There are lots opportunies to recruit young players there.

SE QLD Sea Eagles

Gee_Up

Juniors
I can't be critical- my area was lucky enough to have some forward thinking people to create Souths Juniors who ensure kids in the area can play the sport.. maybe it's time other districts took steps to do the same? With the always increasing Pokie taxes, most senior clubs will feel the squeeze and to protect their major sponsorship they'll always put the senior team first. With our in-ept NRL board not being capable of negotiating larger revenue from TV, it's only going to get worse.

Green Machine

First Grade
Funny guy that John Thorpe. Maybe he can get some of those multi national pub owners, who have heaps of poker machines, to sponsor the Manly Junior League

imasharkie

Coach
Natalie's Daddy said:
SE QLD Sea Eagles

Won't be getting my hard earned anymore. Pretty sure a lot of other Sunshinecoasters will vote the same way. Go elsewhere for a game of footy.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it's definitely a leagues club problem rather than a football club problem, Manly have been harshly dealt with on this occasion.

and the problem is definitely accross the board.

Joe Davola

Juniors
Without doubt, Manly Leagues Club has reduced its funding to the Manly Sea Eagles because of pokie taxes, smoking laws etc etc.

However, it was the Manly Sea Eagles, not the Leagues Club, who decided the Junior League's share of the "Leagues Club Grant" pie would only be $70k, not the usual $120k.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Makes you wonder how the British get kids playing the game without ANY pokie machines to fund the sport?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Joe Davola said:
Without doubt, Manly Leagues Club has reduced its funding to the Manly Sea Eagles because of pokie taxes, smoking laws etc etc.

However, it was the Manly Sea Eagles, not the Leagues Club, who decided the Junior League's share of the "Leagues Club Grant" pie would only be $70k, not the usual $120k.

excuse my ignorance but how does that work? and what happens to the 50K? :?

Joe Davola

Juniors
Leagues Club used to give Sea Eagles $1m, of which $120k went to juniors, leaving Sea Eagles with $880k.

Leagues Club now says we can only afford $600k (not sure of exact figure, but use $600k for the exercise)

In the past, this would have meant $120k for the Junior League and $480k for the Sea Eagles......... until Sea Eagles decided if there was only $600k on offer from the Leagues Club, they wanted $530k, leaving only $70k for Junoirs.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Joe Davola said:
Leagues Club used to give Sea Eagles $1m, of which $120k went to juniors, leaving Sea Eagles with $880k.

Leagues Club now says we can only afford $600k (not sure of exact figure, but use $600k for the exercise)

In the past, this would have meant $120k for the Junior League and $480k for the Sea Eagles......... until Sea Eagles decided if there was only $600k on offer from the Leagues Club, they wanted $530k, leaving only $70k for Junoirs.

rightio then...I think I'll change my stance than and declare it a "prick" act by Manly's management :?

Latest posts