What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly in the gong.

Crush

Coach
I'm personally not turning on Lawrie.. I've never rated him at all and have never got any of the plaudits he gets. He is immensely overrated by a large portion of the fan base. Yesterday was not an unfamiliar showing from him, he just made one or two errors more than he usually does. The rest was standard Blake Lawrie which was just awful. Notice how our leg speed, play the ball speed, threat in attack and arguably most importantly our defensive line speed all increased significantly when he was off the field. It's not a coincidence. He is by far and away the worst front rower in that 17 yesterday. Not just on yesterday's performance either. He was hooked yesterday, that much was clear. Usually when he's on for his second stint he'll finish the game.. and I was so relieved when Ray came on and Flano took Lawrie off. It was only at that point that I relaxed and thought we'd won the game. I know he won't be dropped because of the win.. but I'm hoping that showing is what some fans, club management and coaching staff needed to see that he is not good enough. We will not win a grand final with Blake Lawrie in the side, so ship him off when we sign some front rowers. Trying hard is great, but if I try really hard to build a house without any talent or ability to do so, that house will probably collapse. Me trying hard doesn't make me a good builder.
He won the Dragons Medal (NRL player of the year) last year.
Also won the Red V members player of the year.
Not only overrated by the fan base I guess?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Pleased with what I am seeing from Tyrell Sloan. Is a changed player, shows, more intent even aggression now in the tackle and bringing back the leather. He has also turned into a scoring machine as he is following the ball carrier more. Give him a few cms of space and he is away. He seems a happy young man these days. See him post match with his little girl.
Yes I agree when he really concentrates and plays whats in front of him he is a much better player....imo he's always going to be a charismatic type thats his style, but he certainly is growing in confidence and of course winning brings out the best in him

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Young Flanno is giving his all

has been great in defence and solid in attack

He hasn’t let the team down in any of our games

Happy for the bloke and his Dad
Couldnt agree more.... at times I've seen an opposition player get really floored and when they both get to their feet its young Flanno thats performed the deed....from personal experience its not easy having your son in a team that's coached by the Dad....

:100: ..still people bag him. Admittedly Blocka did not have his best game yesterday, failing to reach his normal 100+ m, but he still outplayed Frank Molo and Hame Sele. And dumb pulling that dudes man bob, may cost him a game.

since77

Juniors
That deceptive little factoid gets trotted out by the Blake lovers whenever he gets criticised. To be player of the year in the disgraceful rabble that the team was last year says it all really. It really shows just how woeful the team was that plodder Blake was regarded as our "best".
The best steaming turd in a bunch of steaming turds is still a steaming turd......

Anyway it would be a shame if the spotlight was taken off the great win we had last night so I'm just going divert attention back to that. Oh and point out that early on in this thread when all the doom and gloom was being thrown around I boldly predicted we'd win by 6.
Close enough! Mission accomplished! :D

Parko1310

Juniors
Members player of the year is the fan base. Dragons Medal.. I mean look at how shocking our team was last year. Not to mention I did say he's overrated by club officials too. And they weren't going to give that award to Hunt last year were they.. there would've been uproar.. not even our officials are that stupid

BLM01

First Grade
Personally I'm not turning on Lawrie because he had a shocker yesterday. I've just NEVER rated the guy.
I can't dispute he plays with heart but I've just always seen a very VERY average player. In his case, heart's just not enough.
I watch a lot of NRL. And in every game I see a forward killing it in other teams and think to myself geez that guy would look great in a Dragons jersey. I can never imagine a situation in which a fan of another team watches Blake Lawrie and wishes he were in their team. He's just average. So bloody average.
I just think we've got better options in our top 17 than Blake Lawrie.
It's not hate, just reality.
I have read all the comments on Lawrie and still disagree. I believe he earns a place in our rotation.
Maybe shorter stints. Yes he made too many errors yesterday but so did T Turbo..just saying
I believe the bench rotation was good for JDB..he played out of his skin coming off the bench with good leg speed.
Eisenuth ditto. Sele has good leg speed and he maybe moved to start in time.
But I do not see Frank any better than Lawrie in attack. RFM played reasonably well bit more speed but dont think he can last in the middle all year as not quite powerful enough.
I watched reggies but no one there yet could play 1sts regularly as the difference in levels is huge. CT scoring 4 in the corner proves it. Lawrie will never be a premium team prop but has a place in 1st grade IMO

BLM01

First Grade
We could have won with bigger margin.

1. Rava's try got disallowed because he did not dive and his foot got pushed into touch (couple of Millis).
2. Sulli's try. A Manly player did a somersault somewhere in the ground, not anywhere near Sulli! Manly got a penalty!

Anyway, second half, we kept dropping and pushing passes. I hope we don't take this game to Newcastle. But our defense worked hard against those repeat sets.

With about 2 or 3 minutes to go Manly throw a pass that went two metres forward. Referee and touch judges missed it. Lucky for us nothing came out of it.

Anyway, it was a great win boys. Keep it up. Go Dragons.
Forward passes.. Manly had a few yesterday with only 1 pulled up. No penalty given in the first 15-20? mins for offside or ruck stuff but of course Manly get the first leg up as we were starting to get on top in that 1st half.
It was frustrating to watch on many counts including the self inflicted errors.

BLM01

First Grade
Got to give it to the crowd today, great atmosphere, I was in the Northern Stand nearly 80% full, the game was exciting simply because of the errors, still you can see improvement in the team, still lots of work to do and we wouldnt want to go to the Knights thinking we are world beaters or we will do a Manly. We need that consistent defensive effort every week. Tuitavake had a good game in ressies , drop Lawrie and bring him in.
Agree I am in the western concourse up and behind the players bench. Reggies the place was empty, left near F/T across to the Steelers club to have a couple with mates. Got back to my seat just on kick off and the place was humming and the crowds lining up to get in WOW. I dont know if they delayed kick off cause plenty would of missed the start. Look forward going back in 3 weeks hopefully with 2 more wins out of 3 under our belt

Dont like that Flanagan has put the Couchman twins on the back burner either. Says they played too much top grade last season? I'd have Tui too over Rava, time he had some games in Ressies as unlike the other giant dude, he has trouble finding the line.

since77

Juniors
But I do not see Frank any better than Lawrie in attack
Yeah I'd agree with this although I do think Frank has slightly improved under Flanno. The problem I have with Frank is that he seems easily stopped by simple legs tackles. Rarely gets through the line.
Our front row is easily the weakest part of our forward pack. Hopefully Flanno can find us a good one (or two).

BLM01

First Grade
To all those people that shit on the signing of Leilua, time to get the Chux out and wipe the egg off the face.

Win, lose or draw the guy's an absolute weapon...

Hopefully we can keep going and get the win.

Up the Saints
Yes I will put my hand up. But I know he is a weapon in attack but I stand by his efforts in defense at times
worry me for the elite money.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yeah I'd agree with this although I do think Frank has slightly improved under Flanno. The problem I have with Frank is that he seems easily stopped by simple legs tackles. Rarely gets through the line.
Our front row is easily the weakest part of our forward pack. Hopefully Flanno can find us a good one (or two).
Frank used to be able to charge hard into the opposition and be able to off load for second phase play. He hasn't off loaded much recently.

This Year?

Immortal
Was really surprised with the left side defence. Ravalawa denied Paulo a few times (he must have known I had him in my multi). Bird played his best game this season. Lots of errors but we defended them ok. There was a period where we defened 3 or 4 sets on our line which was pleasing to see. Kicking game wasn't great again.
Manly were terrible, but I'm glad we won in front a massive Wollongong crowd.