What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly players threaten Dally M boycott

Do you agree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

typicalfan

Coach
What a stupid threat. The only people that lose out is the Manly players inline for medals.

Media beat up.

MSIH

Bench
Can't beat us on the field, beat us off the field.

Nothing article. Mind you, it would be funny to see no one there to accept the Dally M, Centre of the Year, Winger of the Year, Halfback of the Year, Prop of the Year, Second-Rower of the Year and the Lock of the Year awards. I guess Dessie might show to collect his Coach of the Year award.

Lambretta

First Grade
"Manly chief executive Grant Mayer spoke to the club's players' union representatives Matt Orford and Jason King last night and said both had denied the threat."

what was the point of this story being published?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Let's make an allegation in a headline against Manly and then bury halfway through the article the fact that anyone associated with Manly has denied the allegation and there is no such threat.

For f**ks sake. This is seriously boring.

drake

First Grade
Can't beat us on the field, beat us off the field.

Nothing article. Mind you, it would be funny to see no one there to accept the Dally M, Centre of the Year, Winger of the Year, Halfback of the Year, Prop of the Year, Second-Rower of the Year and the Lock of the Year awards. I guess Dessie might show to collect his Coach of the Year award.
Sorry mate, only the Sea Eagles are supposed to be boycotting. Those awards will be picked up by the winners even if the Sea Eagles all move to Zimbabwe. ;-)

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...boycott-dally-m/2009/03/14/1236919641308.html

Premiers turn up heat: we'll boycott Dally M

Adrian Proszenko | March 15, 2009

EXCLUSIVE

Furious Manly players are planning to boycott the Dally M Awards in protest of the NRL's punishment of the club in another dramatic twist to the Brett Stewart scandal.

In a shock move which will further inflame tensions between the premiers and the NRL, Manly players have discussed snubbing the traditional end-of-season presentation night.

The prospect of the defending premiers - including reigning Dally M medalist Matt Orford - skipping the gala event takes the stoush between the game's governing body and the world's best team to a new level.

The Sun-Herald has learned Sea Eagles players are furious that Stewart was banned for four weeks when players previously charged with sexual assault - Titans forward Anthony Laffranchi and former Warriors winger Michael Crockett - were allowed to continue playing until their matters were resolved in court. Both Laffranchi and Crockett maintained their innocence throughout and the charges were ultimately dismissed. Stewart has also denied the allegations.

Sea Eagles players are also livid the NRL fined the club $100,000 after a boozy season launch at Manly Wharf Hotel last week when countless other alcohol-fuelled functions and incidents have gone unpunished. There is a feeling among the team that the NRL has unfairly made an example of the club. The boycott was discussed as part of a stand against the NRL and a show of solidarity for Stewart at a meeting of players during the week.

"I've heard the same rumours," Manly chairman and co-owner Scott Penn told The Sun-Herald yesterday.

"I haven't spoken to anyone internally that's confirmed that. Obviously the players are entitled to their opinion, but my advice - and I'm sure my board's advice - will be to respect a ceremony such as that. With us having the player of the year last year, common sense will prevail."

Penn admitted that he was presiding over an emotional playing group.

"We're obviously in a very difficult situation at the moment and there are difficult decisions being made and not everyone's going to agree with them," Penn said.

"We need to abide by the referee's decision on these things and move forward."

The potential absence of Manly, firm premiership favourites and the first Australian side to win the World Club Challenge in six years, would be an unmitigated disaster for the Dally Ms. Not since the boycott of 2003 - when the NRL cancelled the event two days before the ceremony due to a dispute with the players' association - has the awards night faced a greater crisis.

Johnathan Thurston and Scott Prince are the $9 favourites to take out the Dally M with TAB Sportsbet, while Orford is at $15 to defend his title. Brett Stewart has blown out from $26 to $67 following his suspension, while brother Glenn is at $41.

The RLPA has call for the establishment of an independent tribunal to ensure a uniform punishment of players involved in off-field incidents. In his exclusive Sun-Herald column, Manly legend Steve Menzies backed the call, while Penn also said the proposal had merit.

"If an independent tribunal can improve the off-field facets of the game in an independent way which means less incidents will occur, then maybe it is a good thing," Penn said.

"But the players still need to take individual responsibility for their actions.

"We as a club have done our best to give the players as responsible an environment as we can in terms of having a minder with them when they're out.

"Unfortunately, last Friday appears to be an aberration. We take full responsibility for what happened and we're very sorry for what happened.

"There's no doubt it wasn't a desirable outcome and now we have to put steps in place so that it doesn't happen again."

Those steps include banning alcohol from all club functions, although a blanket alcohol ban won't be enforced.

El Diablo

Post Whore
'Ive heard the rumours' ....... Yes ...thats a story:lol:
I understand that Smh journalists are rubbish.The fellow diners ,friends and 'sources' say its true...

errr thats what Penn said

thats not who they got the story from, but it sems he's heard the same story

Iafeta

Referee
At least it saves the NRL catering fees... If they play like they did last night for the rest of the season, they're not going to be up for any awards anyway. However I didn't think they had any chance last night against Canterbury, their off field dramas were always going to destroy them.

skeepe

Immortal
Why are the SMH claiming this story as an exclusive? It was in The Australian on Thursday?

rabbs

Juniors
Can you imagine Manly players and officials giving up a night of free grog and food.Not.

Loudstrat

Coach
Why are the SMH claiming this story as an exclusive? It was in The Australian on Thursday?

Aha! Almost all sensationalist hack journalism is traced back to News Ltd.

Probably was said in anger by someone in the dressing room, nothing more. I'm sure Manly players will be there on the night to see Hindy scoop the pool.

Latest posts