What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly - Time for a change?

adamkungl

Immortal
Brett Stewart is a massive loss - lynch pin for attack amnd controls the defensive line better than anyone else.

illiams being out meant Tony Williams wasnt used in his intended role as a high impact bench player. The Manly bench has lacked this year & 2nd half fades were often on the back of no impact from the bench. Lestrange was a big loss from 08.

But the biggest thing is the salary cap. The team that wins it this year will soon find out what it is like.

From 08 grand final side Manly were today without for 2010

Stewart
Wolfman
Bell
Orford
G Stewart
Hall
Bryant
Lestrange
Menzies
Cuthbertson - 18th man

But overall I think they have lost the hunger after winning a comp. They seem over weight and slow and lack the passion.

A well managed team should have a good 3-5 years towards the top imo.

oval

Juniors
Get rid of Des? Don't think that'd fix much... Dunno really. I got nothing.

Just hope that next year Manly are fit, healthy, clean, enthusiastic and fresh. Its been a frustrating couple of seasons since 2008, each week hoping they'd get the awesomeness back and seeing flashes of their old selves but then crashing back to mediocrity. Oh well, peaks and troughs and all that. Just hope we slow St George down enough next week so the panthers or the titans can get up!

zombie jesus

Staff member
To make a case for the Dazzler, since he took over....

1 rebuild year, followed by

2 grand final appearances, 1 premiership, 1 WCC win and 6 finals series in a row, not bad.

Doesn't get much better for a coach.

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
A well managed team should have a good 3-5 years towards the top imo.

2006-2009- Pretty handy sides, two grand finals, 4 top 5 finishes.

We're losing players, other players are injured, some are no longer at their peak and a few aren't justifying their wages week in week out.

Beyond a good run with injuries, I can't see where the improvement will come from next year.

Still, six years in the finals? What other team is on a longer active streak atm?

Red Bear

Referee
Brett Stewart is a massive loss - lynch pin for attack amnd controls the defensive line better than anyone else.

illiams being out meant Tony Williams wasnt used in his intended role as a high impact bench player. The Manly bench has lacked this year & 2nd half fades were often on the back of no impact from the bench. Lestrange was a big loss from 08.

But the biggest thing is the salary cap. The team that wins it this year will soon find out what it is like.

From 08 grand final side Manly were today without for 2010

Stewart
Wolfman
Bell
Orford
G Stewart
Hall
Bryant
Lestrange
Menzies
Cuthbertson - 18th man

But overall I think they have lost the hunger after winning a comp. They seem over weight and slow and lack the passion.
That's the point I was trying to make. Bar Lyon, maybe King, all established players have been down on form fitness and commitment this season. Which is what makes me think that, as good as Hasler has been, he might've taken the side as far as he can.

This isnt a knock on Hasler, he's a good coach and an asset to the game, and he'd do a pretty damn good job at a club like Souths or Newcastle at the moment, a club that needs to get that winning mentality back. I just suspect his work at Manly may be done.

Which is why I guess next year will be intersting, see how he goes. This could be one of those threads that gets brought up at the end of next season and makes me look like a twat! But that's always the beauty of hindsight.

That's the point I was trying to make. Bar Lyon, maybe King, all established players have been down on form fitness and commitment this season. Which is what makes me think that, as good as Hasler has been, he might've taken the side as far as he can.

This isnt a knock on Hasler, he's a good coach and an asset to the game, and he'd do a pretty damn good job at a club like Souths or Newcastle at the moment, a club that needs to get that winning mentality back. I just suspect his work at Manly may be done.

Which is why I guess next year will be intersting, see how he goes. This could be one of those threads that gets brought up at the end of next season and makes me look like a twat! But that's always the beauty of hindsight.

What about the playing roster? You can lead a horse to water...

Maybe Manly should start sending a few of those senior players on their way.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I'm not sure he has had his first choice 17 on the field since the '08 grand final, maybe a few times last year?

Brett Stewart injury was a huge factor.

Commentators go on about the spine, the 1, 6, 7, 9.

We had Stewart, Lyon, Foran, Ballin set for those roles through the off season, Ballin was the only bloke in the same role after the first game.

The rest, individually, have been ok except for a few, Perry and Bailey have been sh*t. Watmough is a slow starter, when he was due to hit form he was already busted with injuries. Glenn Stewart in another victim of his brother's injury, they have a great combo down the right.

Red Bear

Referee
Hasler was always a likeable players, seems like a decent guy as well, if a bit of a whinger as a coach. When he first became coach, had some fair doubts, and they struggled in 04, admittedly with an average side. Since then, along with some smart purchases, he'd done a very good job with some players who I wouldnt say are realy stars of the game, a real workmanlike forward pack helped by Lyon and Stewert in the backs.

This season, however, though they may still make the top 8, they've been pretty poor. Fading out every other week, poor in attack and just havent seemed as competitive, bar a couple of games, as they usually have under the Hasler regime. Stewert's injury hasnt helped but I get the feeling that Hasler has taken the side as far as he can, and he's done bloody well, but it might be time to hand over to Toovey or someone else for the top job.
:lol:Well this has to be one of the shitter calls of last year. Which merkin wrote this?

Oh, wait...

Jason Maher

Immortal
I like a bloke who can admit when he's been embarrassingly wrong, rather than trying to dissemble. Top stuff mate! :)

p.s. Manly are still merkins.