What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mannering to retire at seasons end.

JJ

Immortal
Ali is easily our greatest 2nd rower in my books. He alone could win you games and he did countless times in the golden Daniel Anderson era. Another extremely talented back rower was Sione Faumunia. Stacey Jones made pay day with those two guys in the backrow. Logan Swann is another big body who created 2nd phase play.

Awen Gutenbeil vs Simon Mannering - who is the more rounded player offering more to the side?
Your view on Mannering is well known and fixed - guess mine is too. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, Faumuina was talented - sure... lots of talented players about... Mannering is talented too, and tough, hard working, selfless etc etc

Iron Lion

Juniors
Your view on Mannering is well known and fixed - guess mine is too. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, Faumuina was talented - sure... lots of talented players about... Mannering is talented too, and tough, hard working, selfless etc etc

Mannering is easily the toughest, hardest working and most selfless player to ever put on the warriors jersey. I absolutely agree with this.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I could give a shit less about who was the most talented, had the greatest one-off season, who lit up the highlight reel etc.

Simon won 5 Club Player of the Year awards, it should've been six because he was quite clearly the best last year but they got embarrassed about constantly giving it to him and it exposing how unprofessional and lazy the rest were. He won it in the GF year, his first as captain. He won it in 2008, another big year. Then he went and won it 3 more times in shithouse years when he probably quite literally carried us clear of the spoon.

Toughest, hard working and most selfless are as important as fast, skillful and dynamic. He brought more traits than anyone to ever pull on our jumper. He is the greatest Warrior of all time. Ali might've been our most gifted second-rower of all time but I assure you he wasn't our best. The best may forever stand as the only person to play 300 games for us.

JJ

Immortal
I could give a shit less about who was the most talented, had the greatest one-off season, who lit up the highlight reel etc.

Simon won 5 Club Player of the Year awards, it should've been six because he was quite clearly the best last year but they got embarrassed about constantly giving it to him and it exposing how unprofessional and lazy the rest were. He won it in the GF year, his first as captain. He won it in 2008, another big year. Then he went and won it 3 more times in shithouse years when he probably quite literally carried us clear of the spoon.

Toughest, hard working and most selfless are as important as fast, skillful and dynamic. He brought more traits than anyone to ever pull on our jumper. He is the greatest Warrior of all time. Ali might've been our most gifted second-rower of all time but I assure you he wasn't our best. The best may forever stand as the only person to play 300 games for us.

What I was trying to say - only eloquent and succinct - well said sir!!

Blair

Coach
Mann's releasing an autobiography 'before Xmas'. I hope he goes for the truth, exposing a few rotters, etc.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
tbh I think Ali was our greatest if you compare his first 115 games to Mannering's first 115 games, but longevity has to be a major factor in any conversation about "the greatest".

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Ali was called the 'Michael Jordan of rugby league', thats a VERY high accolade. He put bums on seats.

Mannerings good in his own way. I couldnt compare the two and so I couldnt say who was better. I like Ali better though.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
tbh I think Ali was our greatest if you compare his first 115 games to Mannering's first 115 games, but longevity has to be a major factor in any conversation about "the greatest".

Absolutely, Ali's first 115 were of the highest order, he was Dally M 2nd Rower of the Year in 2002. But as you say, longevity has to be a focal point of discussion of the greatest. Most talented, best on his day, most exciting...Ali has that sewn up. But the NRL is about turning up week after week, year after year with consistency in preparation and performance. Sounds boring but it is. And it's effing hard to do, but Simon did it.

Latest posts