What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei - Coming to your club! (no spoilers)

redvscotty

First Grade
Manu Vatuvei.

If it was announced tomorrow that he was coming to your club to play exclusively on the wing, how would you feel?

He is second only to Bumji in the Ch 9 commentary team when it comes to the NZ side and them creaming their pants over a player.

My question is why? He's got nothing on Nightingale OR Morris, and I'd have our current winger in Vidot over him too.

What would you think? Would you revolt? Or Rejoice?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
In all seriousness, wish I had a different username sometimes so I could make a proper comment. This is a stupid time to make this thread as Manu had a big game tonight, really showed his value at international level with some big plays and huge metres.

Nightingale on the other hand showed why a solid clubman is sometimes out of his depth in tight games like that, struggled to help the Kiwis out of trouble from their own end, lots of hit-ups where he went nowhere etc.

soc123_au

Staff member
I would have him at Penrith, we can send the limmo over to the Warriors as a trade.

Manu has been poor lately, but when he's firing he's one of the most damaging players in the game. People have short memories.

On his last 20 games though people are right to say they wouldn't want him at their ckub. He's been error-riddled, without having the impact in attack to justify/level out the errors.

Every time he has the ball you're half (probably more than half) wondering if he's going to lose it when he hits the line. That's not a good trait to have, and it's no exaggeration either.

They've got him doing too much work if you ask me. For some reason he thinks he has to be mixing it up with the forwards, wants to run every ball back at the line etc. Puts too much pressure on himself.

At the moment I'd rather he just stayed on the f**king wing and had minimal involvement. I don't know what's wrong with him to lose the ball as often as he is doing. Even though he's targeted it's still ridiculous how he can't hold on to the ball half the time.

jonno_knights

Juniors
^ Same thing is creeping into Aku's game too. Taking a massive workload off the forwards. Pretty much has a hitup either first or second tackle of every set in our own zone.

I know this is the wingers job and they both are good at laying the platform, but surely you'd have strategies in place to reduce the amount of times he has to do this in a game, then focus on getting him the ball later in the set when the defensive line is tired, back peddling and staggered. Try and isolate defenders, and get them into space, as they are probably the two most difficult players to stop in the game.

Snappy

Coach
Drops far to much ball and does stupid shit. Gives away more points than he scores. Wouldnt want him.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Manu has been poor lately, but when he's firing he's one of the most damaging players in the game. People have short memories.

On his last 20 games though people are right to say they wouldn't want him at their ckub. He's been error-riddled, without having the impact in attack to justify/level out the errors.

Every time he has the ball you're half (probably more than half) wondering if he's going to lose it when he hits the line. That's not a good trait to have, and it's no exaggeration either.

They've got him doing too much work if you ask me. For some reason he thinks he has to be mixing it up with the forwards, wants to run every ball back at the line etc. Puts too much pressure on himself.

At the moment I'd rather he just stayed on the f**king wing and had minimal involvement. I don't know what's wrong with him to lose the ball as often as he is doing. Even though he's targeted it's still ridiculous how he can't hold on to the ball half the time.

Time to stop making excuses...sometimes people just get past their time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He'd make a great 2nd rower! Only thing he does is drive i tup hard but last time I looked that was the forwards job?

He made a costly error at the beginning, when he got a ball into a hole but dropped it cold. That's very typical and frustrating as hell. He did drop it again later, which was ruled a strip, it was a loose carry. He was turned around and beaten in defense a couple of times but got away with it.
Otherwise his go forward was good, very handy when we're struggling for yards. I wouldn't pick him in my team.

No thanks.

Love the bloke, just too inconsistent, too much dropped ball.

Meanwhile Nightingale is the best winger in the game, I'd have him in a heartbeat!