What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei - Coming to your club! (no spoilers)

What injury? The guy has basically had serious injury after serious injury at the rate of about one a year throughout his entire career.

Why suddenly this year are his errors unacceptable when they weren't last year or the year before? I'm certainly not denying the errors. He's always made them. He has terrible hands. Some people just do.

There have definitely been times in the past when he has come back from injury and clearly still been hampered and unable to stretch out, but right now isn't one of them. He looks in good physical shape atm and is moving well. This much should have been obvious in recent weeks when he ran down the likes of Inglis and Ferguson. When he's below par we get situations like last year where even Blake Ayshford made him look slow.

He's playing nothing like he was, though. Errors were unacceptable before because for a start there weren't that many of them, relatively speaking, and for a second he'd run tries in for fun even in a below par team with no attacking potency.

When Manu went down last year a lot of Warriors fans were signaling the season over, and not all of them were joking. His impact was seen as that crucial and significant at the time, and with reason.

If Manu went down today most people wouldn't bat an eyelid. He's been nowhere near as good. Nothing of the sort.

People are changing their opinions because he's no longer the most damaging left winger in the game, he's not even in contention

jonno_knights

Juniors
Do not compare that bumbling, fumbling Warriors winger to the premier winger in this competition. Jason Nightingale is the best winger in this competition by a large margin.

Not sure if serious,

But please tell me what Nightingale brings to the table that say a guy like McManus doesnt? Makes hard Metres, safe under bomb, safe in defence, can finish a try well, excellent player to have at your club due to professionalism and consistency, but doesnt have the X-factor to catapult him into Uate country, or Vatuvei when he is at top form.

A 34 year Old Dell, who had two years out of Rugby, and a decade out of league was in the side ahead of him only 3 years ago, that was AFTER he debuted for the Kiwis and had 2 full seasons in the NRL.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Lol at anyone saying Vatuvei is better than Morris. What is it based on? higher scoring percentage or less errors per game?

I think its quite obvious Morris wont be playing on the wing for the Dragons any time soon, so not sure why he even makes the discussion tbh. :?

macnaz

Staff member
Big and fast. So what., he is a klutz and he proves it time and time and time again.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
What injury? The guy has basically had serious injury after serious injury at the rate of about one a year throughout his entire career.

Why suddenly this year are his errors unacceptable when they weren't last year or the year before? I'm certainly not denying the errors. He's always made them. He has terrible hands. Some people just do.

There have definitely been times in the past when he has come back from injury and clearly still been hampered and unable to stretch out, but right now isn't one of them. He looks in good physical shape atm and is moving well. This much should have been obvious in recent weeks when he ran down the likes of Inglis and Ferguson. When he's below par we get situations like last year where even Blake Ayshford made him look slow.

I don't feel he's back properly after the one last year in that he hasn't bounced back to how he was playing prior...having really good days but more inconsistent than before & he sure doesn't seem to be enjoying it quite so much. His errors are unacceptable this year because the highs aren't making up for them consistently enough. All that said when he's on he can be unstoppable - some of the younger wingers the kiwis could've selected play a different game and don't rely on brawn...would be intersting to see how they'd go. manu needs a chance to enjoy his footy again

firechild

First Grade
Nah, wouldn't want him at Manly. Manly's success has been based on error free footy and Manu would probably increase the error count by about 50% (prior to the Titans game Manly were averaging 9.8 errors oer game, only behind Melbourne's 9.5). With the loss of Hopoate and Robbo we're struggling a bit for wingers but I think Taufua and Whare are showing that they will be very capable wingers. Add to that Manu would have a high asking price and it would put even more pressure on our salary cap.

In all seriousness, wish I had a different username sometimes so I could make a proper comment. This is a stupid time to make this thread as Manu had a big game tonight, really showed his value at international level with some big plays and huge metres.

Nightingale on the other hand showed why a solid clubman is sometimes out of his depth in tight games like that, struggled to help the Kiwis out of trouble from their own end, lots of hit-ups where he went nowhere etc.

Vatuvei and Nightingale are completely different players IMO...Vatuvei defensively is slow and can get caught out of position which Cronk targetted early in the game with kicking over him to Uate. He is also slow to turn and chase.

Nightigale is great defensively and is sound under the high ball...he obviously does not have the power of Vatuvei but has greater agility and is more consistent IMO.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Manu still has speed, he showed that a couple of times against the Raiders/Bunnies. The problem is that his acceleration has gone to shit most likely due to injuries and it takes a little longer to get into top gear.

The problem with that, is as a winger he needs that extra bit of acceleration to run onto the ball and is too often caught flat footed when a long ball is thrown out to him. A lot of those mistakes come from him reaching out in front of himself because his body weight isn't going forward.

Get him in as an impact second rower. All he really does now is take one out hitups into three forward and then try to bat back a bomb. Give him a few short balls, isolate the halfback and let Manu go.

Ram Man

Juniors
No, and you can keep Nightingale as well...I cant believe the hard on so many people have for this bloke...there are so many better wingers than this clown its not funny

Firey_Dragon

Coach
i rate Nightingale but deadset Morris over Vatuvei? really? i know you're a Dragons supporter but Morris goes missing in rep matches

I wasn't aware rep matches added 2 points per win to your clubs season total.

I like Vatuvei, he's a damaging player when he's on, and seems pretty humble off the field. He is however one of those players that will lose you a game just as easily win it for you. I wouldn't want a player like that in our colours, but he's certainly exciting to watch.

Iafeta

Referee
His hands haven't been the best this year... that said, he does a shyteload of work off the ball, is ultra dangerous in the air (where some of his error stats come from as well) on the cross-field bomb. I'd be disappointed if he left, put it that way. His strike rate over the past 25 games or so is still hugely impressive given the injuries he's had. I thought he handled Uate with ease last night.

age.s

First Grade
So it's only really teams with David Simmons and Justin Carney saying they'd take Manu.

Latest posts