What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maori TV increases RL coverage

yakstorm

First Grade
Free-to-Air Rugby League on Maori TV
http://www.throng.co.nz/sports/free-to-air-rugby-league-on-maori-tv

Maori Television will consolidate its reputation as the home of New Zealand rugby league with the launch of exclusive free-to-air matches from the national competition every Saturday and Sunday at 2.00 PM from April 14-15.

League legends Tawera Nikau, Ritchie Barnett and Tony Kemp will join sports journalists Dale Husband and Te Arahi Maipi as commentators of two games every weekend from the New Zealand Rugby League National Premiership, the Bartercard Cup. The revamped television coverage – produced by Brendon Butt – will be delivered in English on Saturday, and Maori on Sunday.

The franchise-based competition is now entering its eighth season and has 10 teams: Auckland Lions, Tamaki Titans, Counties Manukau Jetz, Waitakere Rangers, Harbour League, Waicoa Bay Stallions, Northern Storm, Central Falcons, Wellington Orcas and Canterbury Bulls. Past championship winners include Canterbury Bulls (2000, 2003), Hibiscus Coast Raiders (2001), Mt Albert Lions (2002, 2004, 2005) and Auckland Lions (2006).

Maori Television executive producer of sport Bailey Mackey says the move to Saturday doubleheaders enables the channel to show the late game live on Saturday with the curtain-raiser filmed for delayed broadcast on Sunday. With just one split round required this year, the Bartercard Cup season will start later – April 14-15 – with the grand final scheduled for the weekend of September 8-9.

"Last year was a watershed year for rugby league on Maori Television," Mr Mackey says. "As well as a live Bartercard Cup game every Monday night and a weekly review-preview show, we were also able to secure the free-to-air rights to the Tri-Nations tournament, making this top level international series available to all viewers for the first time.
"This level of television coverage of New Zealand rugby league is unprecedented and signals a new era for the sport in Aotearoa."

Two games a week... thats a huge boost for RL in New Zealand!

AliN

Live Update Team
excellent, thanks for that Steven.

Maori TV certainly upped the profile of league last year and it's great to see this happening. Along with Ngati NRL and Code the game is starting to have some well deserved exposure.

Well done MTV.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
im in brisbane, so dont get to see too many games of the bartercard. just wondering if anyone has games on dvd that they might be interested in sending over to me. ill pay a fee if thats whats required. just want to see how the standard is now since i last played.

help us out lads!!

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Flicked over before to have a look at some.

Why is it all commentated in Maori ? Should be an option there or something maybe where you can hear English commenatry. Is too frustrating to wacth when you have no idea what the commentators are saying

mean

Juniors
Te Arahi Maipi is just fulfilling the charter of Maori TV by allowing a certain percentage of content in the Maori language.

Sonny and Richie were fulfilling the other percentage in english.

My suggestion is to turn off the volume or turn it up and broaden your knowledge by learning a few Maori phrases. Otherwise watch on Saturdays when Dale Husband is commentating mostly in english.

But in my opinion, Bartercard in 2007 is crap. The Auckland Lions has depleted what could've been a good competition this year. We're gonna see thrashings, which we already have, and four teams that really have any chance of winning it.

Roll on next year.

Skinner

Coach
mean said:
But in my opinion, Bartercard in 2007 is crap. The Auckland Lions has depleted what could've been a good competition this year. We're gonna see thrashings, which we already have, and four teams that really have any chance of winning it.

Roll on next year.

Have to agree. I believe the standard has been dropping each year that the comp has
gone on, and the APL Auckland Lions has removed (arguably) the top layer of players.

ozbash

Referee
Skinner said:
Have to agree. I believe the standard has been dropping each year that the comp has
gone on, and the APL Auckland Lions has removed (arguably) the top layer of players.

thats what i thought might happen with the lions inclusion in NSWRL but i reasoned that it would give an opportunity for some new faces to shine in B/Cup...

so where are they,,, sydney ?

Skinner

Coach
ozbash said:
thats what i thought might happen with the lions inclusion in NSWRL but i reasoned that it would give an opportunity for some new faces to shine in B/Cup...

so where are they,,, sydney ?

Basically all over NSW and QLD :?

The Observer

Staff member
Skinner and co, interesting to hear that the standard of BC footy isn't as high since the Auckland Lions joined the NSWRL Premier League. Interesting to read that Graham Lowe is travelling the country doing the NZRL competitions review, and the proposals for future competition models is interesting:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10439398

The formation of the Auckland franchises caused friction between the Auckland RL and NZRL. Chalmers talks about the difficulty finding a solution that satisfies everyone.

I'm not sure why the NZRL can't placate the Auckland clubs by replacing the 5 BC Auckland franchises with 8 traditional Auckland clubs from the Fox Memorial. If the NZRL is worried about cost, get the ARL to fund those clubs, NZRL could fund the regional franchises.

In that event, either stage a:
* 13 team home and away competition, or
* add 3 extra regional clubs (e.g. perhaps one from Dunedin/Otago, maybe add one or two Wellington teams), have a 16 team, 22 round competition. Everyone plays each other once, then Auckland teams play each other again, regional teams pay each other again.

Has the branding Auckland Lions worked? Would it make more sense to go bac to an Auckland Warriors label?

dimitri

First Grade
this sounds like great news for the code in nz

whats your coverage like on sky - do you get a heap of games televised?

Martli

Coach
dimitri said:
this sounds like great news for the code in nz

whats your coverage like on sky - do you get a heap of games televised?

We get all games on sky, most of them live, maybe the odd one delayed by an hour if we can't fit it in with regular replays during the week :)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Apparently we get better NRL coverage than it is even possible to get in Australia

btw has anyone been seeing the coverage of Fox games on NRL Primetime? Apparently my mate Stephen Carroll from Glenora has featured 2 weeks running.

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:

Why is it all commentated in Maori ? Should be an option there or something maybe where you can hear English commenatry. Is too frustrating to wacth when you have no idea what the commentators are saying

Cuzzy, if you have a problem with not understanding the Maori Commentators then maybe it wont be such a bad idea to learn. you will honestly feel better aswell knowing that you can watch with some mates and be able to explain to them what the commentators are on about. Its not our fault that Maori TV are the only ones willing to showcase New Zealands best talent on TV, its not their fault that not every one doesnt know how to speak Maori.

make Maori COMPULSORY at school i say.

MEAN MAORI TV MEAN.

ozbash

Referee
SpartanSlayer said:
Cuzzy, if you have a problem with not understanding the Maori Commentators then maybe it wont be such a bad idea to learn. you will honestly feel better aswell knowing that you can watch with some mates and be able to explain to them what the commentators are on about. Its not our fault that Maori TV are the only ones willing to showcase New Zealands best talent on TV, its not their fault that not every one doesnt know how to speak Maori.

make Maori COMPULSORY at school i say.

MEAN MAORI TV MEAN.

:clap: :clap:

They actually teach you a bit while you watch.Favourite MTV program (after the games) was Ngati NRL which was basically done in maori. You didnt have to be a rocket scientist to work out what they were on about.

Ritchie, T, Dale and Te Arahi are a breath of fresh air to NZ sports broadcasting..

Micistm

Bench
Beavers Headgear said:

Costigan should learn Maori and do the commentry. How long could it take to learn 'fish and chip paper', 'Johnny on the spot' and 'get out of my way he says' in maori?!:lol:

Good on them though, I turn over to MTV quite often to see what's on. Great to see them support it

Latest posts