What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marcus Perenara

dazeely

First Grade
No field of dreams for Eels hero

By Steve Mascord
October 02, 2006 12:00

Article from: </IMG>
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

PARRAMATTA halfback Marcus Perenara kicked his second field goal to ruin Newtown's grand final fairytale last night ¿ and then faced up to the possibility of retirement at the age of 20.
The Jets went agonisingly close to wreaking revenge on the Eels for their 1981 grand final loss, but Kiwi Perenara followed up his two tries by booting his drop-goal from in front eight minutes into overtime to seal victory.
"For this to happen in my last game for Parramatta – I'm overwhelmed," an emotional Perenara said.
"I am not signed with any club at the moment. I'm still looking. Hopefully this game might pick something up for me."
Even Parramatta captain, New Zealand international and brother of Marcus, Henry Perenara, is without a club next year.
"That good run of (Henry's) got a quick play-the-ball and set it up for me," the No. 7 said.
"I give him full credit for this game. He's worked his guts out all year. He's a very inspirational player to be with. I've looked up to him from day one and I still do."
In a clash that was compellingly nostalgic, Marcus seemed to give his side victory with a drop-goal six minutes from the end of regulation time.
But Jets five-eighth Josh Lewis landed his own one-pointer to send the game into overtime, with six unsuccessful attempts by Newtown clocked up before Perenara stepped up to glide the ball between the posts from in front, 25m out.
The Jets led 18-16 at halftime – Henry Perenara lost the ball over the line in the 28th minute – with the lead swapping repeatedly during an absorbing second half.

Sitting on the sideline and roaring on the Jets was club legend Tom Raudonikis, who played in the 1981 decider won 20-11 by Parramatta.
"I think the Jets played very, very well," Raudonikis said. "Josh Lewis – what a sensation he is. Two kicks, 40-20s, unbelievable.
"He had a sensational game. I was a little bit disappointed with Jamie Soward. He took a few wrong options but apart from that they tried very, very gallantly and they tried their best.
"We've got to keep this tradition going in rugby league and we're losing that. Look at that Newtown blue jersey."
Marcus Perenara added: "We all said at halftime, if you want this bad enough you'll work hard for it."
PARRAMATTA 20 (M Perenara, 2, H Perenara tries; J Williams 2 goals; M Perenara 2 field goals) NEWTOWN 19 (A Kirk, C Tonga, T Malcolm tries; J Lewis 3 goals field goal).
Referee: Shayne Hayne.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20509583-5006066,00.html

Utey

Coach
I really hope he comes back after his year off, most definately his best game for the club.

Parra Guru

Coach
Is he actually having a year off?? Holic told me he was but....

I am not signed with any club at the moment. I'm still looking. Hopefully this game might pick something up for me."

He definately needs to lose weight

Utey

Coach
Yep off to QLD for a year to get his body right. Looks like when he got moved to hooker he was told to bulk up and then when it didnt pan out he was stuck in the middle of the season carrying it all. It was great to see him out with a win!

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
It was a great moment when he kicked that last field goal, seems to have a great bond with his brother which is awsome.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to Parra when he eventually feels the time is right. I dunno why we are not holding onto Henry though, hes a very handy player to have around

Utey

Coach
Apparantly not, he thinks he still can offer something but his in talks. He was supposed to stay with the club in a coaching capacity.

Drew Dalton also in talks.

Hellsy

Immortal
Henry disappoints me constantly... errors, penalties. I can't honestly say I'd miss him if he went. Either that or he needs to pick up his game alot

Utey

Coach
Hellsy said:
Henry disappoints me constantly... errors, penalties. I can't honestly say I'd miss him if he went. Either that or he needs to pick up his game alot

Still has butter fingers, always has.

Parra Guru

Coach
Unfortunately Henry would be banging his head against a wall if he kept playing here.

He'll be behind Ian Hindy, Lowrie, Mateo and Taia for a crack at firsts next year. The list just keeps getting longer for him.

Bazal

Post Whore
I would like to keep both boys, surely we can find a spot for them with the reserves we have leaving? Henry is handy back up and I have always thought that Marcus Perenara can be anything, he is a huge talent. He struggled a bit with his weight this year after injury...but when he does crack first grade he will do very well. Good luck to them both in whatever they choose to do next year...

Gronk

Staff member
Sorry, but the P Bros are not up to it. Premier League is for players who hopefully have the potential to play NRL. Time for them to move on.

Redback71

First Grade
why arnt they signed yet beats me id at least try to retain marcus at least he is a half who takes on the line instead of kicking and passing all the time.

Elia

Juniors
I heard marcus was going to have a baby? I think thats what i read the in the daily telegraph..or is it just me?

Latest posts