What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Mclinden - Hot or Not?

How do you rate Mark Mclinden?

• Great Player! How dare you trash him!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He is a good player but not a halfback

• He would be good with a better half paring next year

• Macca is a utility player - nothing more, nothing less

• Macca is average

• Total voters

Brimmer

Juniors
Ok...

The drums are beating a bit about Mark McLinden's performance this year so I feel it is time to have a topic and poll devoted to the no.7.

Anybody reading my posts would know that I have been very critical of Mark Mclinden, this season in particular. But I am interested in knowing other peoples opinions on the man.

Kris_man

Bench
"great player! how dare you trash him!". sums up my thoughts completely. i also agree that he'll be a better player with a better half pairing next year. people say he was much better in '98, but wasn't he playing with stuart and lozza back then?? that puts it in perspective. im not saying that they made him look good, but rather how good he can be with an organiser alongside him.

Raider_69

Post Whore
He would be good with a better half paring next year
------------------------------------------------------------

put him with a real half back and we will see the real mark mclinden real stand up... he needs someone to take the focus off him and let him manage the running game rather than organisation. ALA Preston Campbell

Brimmer

Juniors
I guess my main arguement with Macca is that he is a hopeless (no other way to put it) defender. He is a deadset speedbump. For us to excel next year and keep macca in the halves, he desperately needs to improve his defensive game.

For me, in first grade you need to have all qualities and not just excel in certain areas. Defence is the key. I can guarantee that all the other teams are more than aware of his weakness and it has been exposed greatly this year.

I dunno if anybody here actually knows the guy but I can see a lack of desire this year. I admit, he is not the only guilty one but when you are at halfback, confidence is essential. A playmaker of the boil really causes some bad flow-on effects throughout the whole backline.

His last tackle options really need to be looked at as well.

My advice for Macca is to put the headgear back on (if he is scared to tackle) and find that spark that made him the so called 'messiah' of the green machine.

azza

Juniors
Defence is more about attitude than anything else. Macca does fancy himself a bit and maybe he is focussed on other things this season, I don't know.

He would most likely play much better with a genuine organiser alongside him. But Elliot doesn't seem to want to do that - we'll probably have Jason Smith and Carney killing it in premier league all of next year.

Funnily enough when Macca wants to he can defend. I have seen him put up some fine defensive performances (anyone remember the Bulldogs game last year where Mason kept charging at him and getting cut down?), but he has been a cat this year no doubt.

Brimmer

Juniors
Macca has played for something like 6 or 7 seasons now and he still looks lost IMO.

Brimmer

Juniors
I know he really wanted to go to the UK with his mates last season. Perhaps he should go away for 1 or 2 years and hopefully we could keep the door somewhat open for him. Maybe he needs to scratch that itch?

Kris_man

Bench
azza said:
He would most likely play much better with a genuine organiser alongside him. But Elliot doesn't seem to want to do that - we'll probably have Jason Smith and Carney killing it in premier league all of next year.
are you kidding??? watch jason smith become the next matthew elliott pet. it probably has something to do with his long service under brian smith.

Brimmer

Juniors
If Jason Smith is 1/2 the player he was in the NRL, he will be an extremely valuable recruitment. For mine, his football brain is amazing. Something we sorely lack.

greeneyed

First Grade
Yep... I want a Smith triple act in the halves and lock position next year. Tyran Smith at 5/8th, Jason Smith at halfback and Nathan Smith at lock. This way all of them can play out of position (pre-requisite for Matt Elliott to select them) and then we can have Smiths everywhere and at least 2 old and over the hill ones in the firsts team.

sydraider

First Grade
Macca has been shoved from pillar to post position wise since he made his first grade debut. He has never really been able to make a position his own, that has affected his football. Also not having a halves coach in the organisation has hindered his development.
Macca is a great talent, awesome line breaker but tackle he cannot, that is a part of his game that sorely needs working on. Then again he has most of the opposition attack aimed at him, therefore increasing his defense rate. Teams know that he is our sole attacking option, so why not run the guy ragged.
He also hasnt really had much of a backup in attack and we are very reliant on him, add another playmaker or 2 to the team, i think we will see a better macca next season. I am looking forward to J.smith bringing his great footy brain to the club, its his old body i am worried about, still i think it will be a positive signing.
Next year hopefully we will have carney and possibly campo playing more first grade, this with smith will give macca more oppurtunity to do what he does best, run the ball.

schnitzel

Juniors
aaah syd raider, the old cliche 'pillar to post' has been trotted out again! And it won't be the last time about Macca, despite the fact he has played consistently in the halves since 2000 when he spent some time on the wing. For the last 4 seasons he's played at either 6 or 7 or come off the bench into the halves. For the past 18 months he's had first crack at halfback and proven he can't steer the team around. I agree with Brimmer, put the headgear back on Mark and get used to the no. 14 on your back and play 40 minutes as an impact player, let someone else run the show.

sydraider

First Grade
This maybe true schnitzel but seriously has he ever really been given the chance to strike up a combination with anyone???
Finch/fittler
Sherwin/anasta
Gower/campbell
Orford/Hill
They are all teams at the top of the rung atm are they not??? The only exception is the broncs who havent had any luck with the no 7 position since alfie left but have lockyer one of the best players in the world.
It has been proven that Macca/Croker, Drew/Macca dont work, hence my "pillar to post" cliche!

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I have no doubt McLinden hasn't recieved the coaching he need from the raiders training staff ie. Matthew Johns having to come down. If he was at the chooks I have no doubt he'll be a greater player, Finch has come along nicley with all the help he got playing with Fittler being coached by one of the best half backs ever.

I think If Carney gets a fair go next year and we have a solid 6 and 7 combination as in only disrupted by injury, I believe it to be a stong possibility that McLinden will run and run and run, with help from Carney at 7 and Smith at 13 sailing the ship. This season promised so much at the beginning but poor decisions cost us both coaching and players decisions bring on 2005 I have a good feeling about it. Last time i had a good feeling was the Broncos game in Brisbane and we won. Fingers crossed

sydraider

First Grade
I think If Carney gets a fair go next year and we have a solid 6 and 7 combination as in only disrupted by injury, I believe it to be a stong possibility that McLinden will run and run and run, with help from Carney at 7 and Smith at 13 sailing the ship

I totally agree!

sydraider

First Grade
He is a peninsula boy now, i dont think he will ever be back at the raiders, not with carney coming through anyways, once carney hits his straps we will have forgotten we ever let go of mick monas.