What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark O'Neill

Noise

Coach
Four clubs/jobs in the last 5 years.
Maybe our idiot directors wanted someone who may actually go the distance in this role, given how important everyone on the LU Eels Forum thinks it is.

Go this distance? Hiring a bloke who only lasted 6 months in the role and then hasn’t landed another footy manager role in over 2 years doesn’t bode well.

emjaycee

Coach
Go this distance? Hiring a bloke who only lasted 6 months in the role and then hasn’t landed another footy manager role in over 2 years doesn’t bode well.

Ok, let's look at O'Neill's CV before all the death-riders hang him out to dry FFS.
Or are you only interested in trying to be a smartarse on a footy forum?

2007 - Finished a 14 year NRL and Super League playing career
2008 to 2010 - NRL Commentator
2008 to 2016 - Worked at NRL
  • 2008 - 2011 Match Review Committee Member
  • 2011 - 2015 Football Operations Manager/Judiciary Secretary
  • 2015 - 2016 General Manager Communications and Football Compliance
2016 - General Manager Football @ West Tigers (yes, this one ended prematurely)
2017 - 2018 Consultant in sports related projects, covering strategy, operations and process improvements and Consultant Project Manager for Woolworths (not quite a checkout operator or trolley boy). Some of these projects were with NRL/Men of League/Gold Coast Titans.

Also completed a Business and Management Diploma and currently completing an MBA.

So, not sure about what you would be looking for if you were hiring this role, but personally I would rather hire someone who had 8 years in one organisation, took on a new role and made a single mistake that unfortunately made keeping that role impossible and then spent most of the next 2 years in a consultant capacity to the NRL/Men of League/Gold Coast Titans and a multi-national like Woolworths, all while completing his MBA than hire a guy who has been through 4 clubs in 5 years.

Oh that's right, he hasn't been able to land a footy manager role for 2 years so he must be shit.

Glenneel

Bench
I think O'Neill will work out just fine... We just need Sterlo to come out and say he has some big question marks over his appointment and no confidence in his ability to fulfil the role and everything will be apples... If O'Neill gets Sterlo's non-endorsement, it'll be just the tonic we need. FFS, O'Neill might even end up winning a Nobel prize!!
The gold label seal of approval, Sterlo's non-approval.

T.S Quint

Coach
Speaking of how do you eat a cob?
I pick mine up and much the ass of it but I took a girl out once who used her knife to shave the kernels of then scooped them up with a fork.

Mexican style.

Grill or BBQ corn cobs until slightly charred.
Mix together some sour cream and mayonnaise, add in some lime juice and round chipotle, then brush over corn.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (or cotija cheese if you can find it) and some smoked paprika.

TheRam

Coach
Ok, let's look at O'Neill's CV before all the death-riders hang him out to dry FFS.
Or are you only interested in trying to be a smartarse on a footy forum?

2007 - Finished a 14 year NRL and Super League playing career
2008 to 2010 - NRL Commentator
2008 to 2016 - Worked at NRL
  • 2008 - 2011 Match Review Committee Member
  • 2011 - 2015 Football Operations Manager/Judiciary Secretary
  • 2015 - 2016 General Manager Communications and Football Compliance
2016 - General Manager Football @ West Tigers (yes, this one ended prematurely)
2017 - 2018 Consultant in sports related projects, covering strategy, operations and process improvements and Consultant Project Manager for Woolworths (not quite a checkout operator or trolley boy). Some of these projects were with NRL/Men of League/Gold Coast Titans.

Also completed a Business and Management Diploma and currently completing an MBA.

So, not sure about what you would be looking for if you were hiring this role, but personally I would rather hire someone who had 8 years in one organisation, took on a new role and made a single mistake that unfortunately made keeping that role impossible and then spent most of the next 2 years in a consultant capacity to the NRL/Men of League/Gold Coast Titans and a multi-national like Woolworths, all while completing his MBA than hire a guy who has been through 4 clubs in 5 years.

Oh that's right, he hasn't been able to land a footy manager role for 2 years so he must be shit.

Initially, when he was announced, I thought wow what a dud appointment. But after seeing this post, well it is at the very least a solid resume if not quite impressive.

So maybe they have picked a very good candidate after all? Who knows? But I will be giving him the benefit of the doubt and wishing like buggery that we have appointed a diamond in the rough so to speak. A lot will become evident to us who are not in the know supporters, when we see what he can bring to the table external recruitment wise. That will be the immediate identifier as to how well he is going.

Then medium to long term will be internal junior recruitment and development acquisitions and progression into the NRL. These areas to me are where fans on the outside looking in can judge with some accuracy how the HoF department is going. We probably won't see much of O'Neil's influence during the off season as he wouldn't have had ample time to really get involved. Any more new signings over the off season will be primarily BA's doing I would think.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I just hope he is a strong character and strong enough to initiate the changes required that neither Gurr nor BA appeared capable of. We definitely do not need a yes man.

Eelogical

Referee
I just hope he is a strong character and strong enough to initiate the changes required that neither Gurr nor BA appeared capable of. We definitely do not need a yes man.
Yep, we need a HoF strong enough to sack a finals bound coach a few weeks out.

Eelogical

Referee
Speaking of how do you eat a cob?
I pick mine up and much the ass of it but I took a girl out once who used her knife to shave the kernels of then scooped them up with a fork.
Were you eating a Mars bar with a knife and fork at the time?

Suitman

Post Whore
3 pages into a thread about the appointment of a new HOF at the Eels and the thread has already turned to talk about corn cobs and mars bars.
Pretty much sums up the past 32 years of the Eels.

emjaycee

Coach
3 pages into a thread about the appointment of a new HOF at the Eels and the thread has already turned to talk about corn cobs and mars bars.
Pretty much sums up the past 32 years of the Eels.

Probably my fault for posting O'Neill related stuff in the Rumours thread mate.

@Twizzle - Need a mod to move the posts that are in the Rumours thread into this one and rename it Eels Head of Football so we can play the role and not the man (as if that would happen).

emjaycee

Coach
Gus is a joke, no way we need a egotistical wanker like him. O’Neill will be a good appointment who will compliment the coach and ceo moving forward IMO
O'Neill will be hoping that if we get a new CEO he doesn't get tossed out with the bathwater.
Be nice to have someone in a leadership role that was able to implement some strategies and stay around long enough to see them to fruition for a change.

Bolgeel

Juniors
O'Neill will be hoping that if we get a new CEO he doesn't get tossed out with the bathwater.
Be nice to have someone in a leadership role that was able to implement some strategies and stay around long enough to see them to fruition for a change.
Let’s hope so, it should be an independently reviewed position with measurables that are for the board and ceo to assess long term success...anyway sounds good in theory
Go the EELS!

Latest posts