What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Riddell you PLONKER!!!!!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Thats where we lost the game, we had all that ball in the first half, and we came up with one try. our 5th tackle options we're woeful.

eel01s

Bench
IMO going for a field goal to possibly go 7-0 up BEFORE half time was just a DUMB option.

There was at least 2 min to go, so why not go for a try or at least a repeat set of six? Riddell, along with other players, don't think well enough on their feet. Also, how the hell did he miss from right in front???

Had we gone to halftime at 10 or 12 nil I think it really would have put the pressure on Manly. As it was, 6-2 they knew that they could run Parra down.

Stagger eel

Staff member
eel01s said:
IMO going for a field goal to possibly go 7-0 up BEFORE half time was just a DUMB option.

funnily enough was watching it with 6 other people and I'm pretty sure half of us we're calling for a field goal, the other half we're happy with whatever option to take at the time, I would of went for the try but can understand why he'd go for it.

Nickeel

Juniors
eelavation said:
funnily enough was watching it with 6 other people and I'm pretty sure half of us we're calling for a field goal, the other half we're happy with whatever option to take at the time, I would of went for the try but can understand why he'd go for it.

I never even thought of the field goal as an option tbh.

We were aghast - "why not go for the try or the repeat set?!" Even if he'd landed it there would have been no use. What good is a 7-0 lead at halftime in league these days?

Nick

Utey

Coach
eelavation said:
Why would you go for a field goal?

We were on a deadset roll and wasted an opportunity to post points which would have hurt them 100x more so then a field goal. It was an absolutely terrible option.

We are doing our very best to NOT lose games and doing f*ck all to try and win them. Thats why our attack looks so stiffled. We aren't using our bench as well, it's one thing Smith was brilliant at using.

The Colonel

Immortal
7-0 is better than 6-0 as it means they have to score twice - psychologically its a big play. That close to half time it wasn't a bad option. The better option would have been to go himself - he was close enough and is generally strong enough in that situation. Had it come off I doubt too many would have complained.

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:
Why would you go for a field goal?

because it was 6-0 and points at that time were hard to come by...Like I said I could of lived with whatever decision they made at the time but I can't understand why the 1 point to some people was such a bad decision.

Utey

Coach
:LOL: Its a good play if you don't miss. I've seen kids kick those ffs. The point is it didn't come off. When your 10 meters out they are tougher then to ones from 20 meters because you have a rushing defence. It was a silly play.

A try is a bigger psychological advantage. We all knew they'd come hard in the 2nd half so we should have had another crack. Disappointing.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The field goal might have been a good play but he was nowhere near in a good position to take the shot. Should have thrown it back to Burt to slot it over.

Nickeel

Juniors
Natalie's Daddy said:
The field goal might have been a good play but he was nowhere near in a good position to take the shot. Should have thrown it back to Burt to slot it over.

What worried me about it (besides the fact it struck me as the wrong option) was that it seemed to be indicative of a lack of organisation and structure. If it got thrown back to Burt for the shot, would he have taken the shot or run it instead? Or put an ineffectual kick in? It takes you back immediately to the Bulldogs game, where instead of everyone pushing towards a common goal you had people taking the game into their own hands on a snap decision. Ironically in that situation we needed to kick a field goal, and in this one we didn't, and in neither did we go with the right play.

Nick

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Suitman said:
Our attack definitely lacks imagination - seriously.
He's had 6 or 7 games. Time to give him some PL to find his game again.

Suity

Suity

Suity's so angry he signed off twice!!

<UPtheEELS> said:
:lol: Its a good play if you don't miss. I've seen kids kick those ffs. The point is it didn't come off. When your 10 meters out they are tougher then to ones from 20 meters because you have a rushing defence. It was a silly play.

A try is a bigger psychological advantage. We all knew they'd come hard in the 2nd half so we should have had another crack. Disappointing.

You've seen kids kick those field goals in first grade with the manly forward pack running at them to stop it?

Hind sights a wonderful thing, but at that stage of the game i don't think that the 1 pointer was such a bad option. 2 minutes to go, Riddell was probably hoping that he'd get the goal, they'd get the ball back, put in a big kick and hold manly up theur end until time ran out.

Also Mark Riddell = Plonker = :lol:

forward pass

Coach
Suitman said:
I wasn't saying trying to be too fancy Strides, just a couple of basic and simple worked moves.
Look at Manly's two disallowed first half tries - both beautifully executed except for that final pass. That's all it takes. A simple run around and dummy runner.
FFS, it ain't hard, and most teams in the comp seem to be able to pull it off.

We are really so one dimensional - and that certainly is stemming from the lack of creativity in the halves.

Suity

As I said in my post on the other thread, I can't believe how few passes we actually throw. Seriously, we are the most one out side in the comp. Even attacking the oppostion trylline, our forwards are hitting it up with no support. Wtf is that ??

eel01s

Bench
forward pass said:
As I said in my post on the other thread, I can't believe how few passes we actually throw. Seriously, we are the most one out side in the comp. Even attacking the oppostion trylline, our forwards are hitting it up with no support. Wtf is that ??

I know, it is very frustrating to watch!

Parra should look at how they did score in that match - Timmy ran to the line at big forwards and used his step, and Taia copped a beautiful cut out pass with good decoy runners. Both well executed, simple plays that should be the basis for attacking when inside the 30m line, on tackles 3 and 4. Use tackle 5 for a kick or set play.