What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marking 100 years of RL

Estoboy

Juniors
What should the NRL do to mark 100 years of Rugby League in Australia?
The first official game of rugby league in australia was played in 1908 at Birchgrove Oval (Balmain). The day featured Souths playing Glebe and Balmain playing Wests.
Therefor, would it not be right for the opening game of Round 1 of 2008 to feature Wests Tigers playing Souths. To make it even more remarkable, have the game at Leichhardt Oval or even better, build temporary stands, temporary ground seats and leave the rest of the hill area clear and you could fit in 30,000 at Birchgrove Oval (ok... there may be a FEW logistical problems).

Birchgrove Oval COULD host the game if a bit of money was spent to get some temporary stands. It would be possible to get 20,000 seats installed. If not, then getting the game to Leichhardt Oval would be great.

Thoughts?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Estoboy said:
What should the NRL do to mark 100 years of Rugby League in Australia?
The first official game of rugby league in australia was played in 1908 at Birchgrove Oval (Balmain). The day featured Souths playing Glebe and Balmain playing Wests.
Therefor, would it not be right for the opening game of Round 1 of 2008 to feature Wests Tigers playing Souths. To make it even more remarkable, have the game at Leichhardt Oval or even better, build temporary stands, temporary ground seats and leave the rest of the hill area clear and you could fit in 30,000 at Birchgrove Oval (ok... there may be a FEW logistical problems).

Birchgrove Oval COULD host the game if a bit of money was spent to get some temporary stands. It would be possible to get 20,000 seats installed. If not, then getting the game to Leichhardt Oval would be great.

Thoughts?

and parking????

Well there should be more cause although they were the first ever games, it was just because of those games that Rugby League is what it is in Australia today!

jamesgould

Juniors
I think it's a fantastic idea, I have no idea about Birchgrove Oval being up for it or not, if so great, but these two sides playing in round 1 next year would be a great nod back to where it all began.

No-one is saying if these sides didn't play in the first games that league would be any different, but there's nothing wrong with paying tribute to the first ever weekend of footy, surely?

paulquinn49

Bench
jamesgould said:
I think it's a fantastic idea, I have no idea about Birchgrove Oval being up for it or not, if so great, but these two sides playing in round 1 next year would be a great nod back to where it all began.

No-one is saying if these sides didn't play in the first games that league would be any different, but there's nothing wrong with paying tribute to the first ever weekend of footy, surely?

It couldnt handle the crowd, it wouldnt meet any NRL criteria, and would probably lose alot of money for whoever was to be the home side.

The game has expanded too much for us to go back to places like this unfortunately.

What do we do to mark the 200th year anniversery?

Go back in time and standards to the same park again, hoping to buy the surrounding houses so the NRL can bulldose it to accomodate a crowd of 20k?

Any event can still have history and meaning without cheapening the advances of the game in the modern era. Some people have to let go.

jamesgould

Juniors
paulquinn49 said:
It couldnt handle the crowd, it wouldnt meet any NRL criteria, and would probably lose alot of money for whoever was to be the home side.

The game has expanded too much for us to go back to places like this unfortunately.

What do we do to mark the 200th year anniversery?

Go back in time and standards to the same park again, hoping to buy the surrounding houses so the NRL can bulldose it to accomodate a crowd of 20k?

Any event can still have history and meaning without cheapening the advances of the game in the modern era. Some people have to let go.

So just play it at Leichhardt or Telstra then, who cares! I just reckon those two sides playing the first game next year would be a great way to boot the celebrations off. Remember it'll be two Friday night games on Nine next year as well, we could start with this game then have a real heavyweight battle for the second game.

I dunno what their original jerseys looked like, but they could play in some sort of retro top as well ...

Red Bear

Referee
brooksy19 said:
They need to do something that reflects the past and also to the future.
How bout bringing back the Bears??? Could play the match v Manly at NSO and play their other games of course at Central Coast. Past is obvously the bringing back of one of the foundation clubs of Rugby League in Australia whilst also looking towards the future by moving league to an area cryibg out for a side(Central Coast). Only logical idea really :)

brook

First Grade
Souths versus Wests for the opening game is fitting

Birchgrove oval is not such a hot idea :p
I'd love to see it at the den but realistically it would be held at Telstra, but having those teams involved would still work - perhaps a double-header at Telstra with the two newest RL teams the storm and the titans also featuring would be fitting?

Stranger

Coach
Its hard up on parking on regular weekends when the juniors play RL there... As INK is probably aware, there is about 50 parking spots LOL. The chance them playing at birchgrove is buckleys and none.

Leichhardt is a good option IMO.

brook

First Grade
but then I guess you're leaving out easts - who love them or hate them are one of the two true foundation clubs left in the game - so maybe souths v easts and the titans v the storm (or the wests tigers who are actually truely the second youngest club in the nrl) would be the way to go?

That takes away the link to the first games but still gives a nice nod to the past and future of RL in Australia

Bumble

First Grade
I still like the idea I posted ages ago:

First Grade Double Header:
South Sydney (1908) vs Sydney Roosters (1908) (main game)
St George Illa (1999, but former club St George 1921) vs Wests Tigers (2000, but former clubs..)

Reserve Grade:
Newtown (1908) vs Magpies (1908)
Tigers (1908) vs Bears (1908)

Jersey Flegg:
Knights (1909) vs Bulldogs (1935)

Big Bunny

Juniors
The first game of rugby league in Australia to be played under rugby league rules was Souths probables v possibles, 21st March 1908 at Sir Joseph Banks Ground in Botany.

The first actual game of rugby league in Australia, still under rugby union rules however, was played in 1907. So if anything I'd like to see a game between NZ and NSW featuring John's, prior to the Kiwis and John's heading off for their scheduled tour of the UK under the 'Professional All Blacks' banner.

paulquinn49

Bench
Why would Storm or Titans do that? Travel 1000km out of their way.

If it is marketed properly and they have some march/parade for the oldies the game would bring in a huge crowd.

Id even delay the season opener to a Saturday Arvo, make a day of it. Double header with Roosters and Newie in the other or something.

If we wanna go overboard you can have Newtown vs Bears in PL or something.

brook

First Grade
paulquinn49 said:
Why would Storm or Titans do that? Travel 1000km out of their way.

Well that is a good question, I'm talking about what I'd like to see happen rather than what I really think is likely to happen.

Knowing the NRL I'm honestly not expecting them to put on anything great at all.

innsaneink

Referee
Stranger said:
Its hard up on parking on regular weekends when the juniors play RL there... As INK is probably aware, there is about 50 parking spots LOL. The chance them playing at birchgrove is buckleys and none.

Leichhardt is a good option IMO.
Yeah...beautiful ground for jnr footy, walking the dog or picnics...thats about it though.