What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marking 100 years of RL

greg

Juniors
As long as the mighty bluebags are in the premier league game on the day its a good idea. Souths V Roosters preceeded by Newtown V Norths in PL.

jamesgould

Juniors
griff said:
Actually, it should be held in 2007.

The comp started in 1908, which was the first season.
1909 was the second season.
Australia hosted the World Cup in 1957 to celebrate 50 years of RL in Australia.
The ARL celebreated 90 years in 1997.
We will celebrate 100 years in 2007.

2008 will actually be the 101st season.

The AFL celebrated their centenary in 1996 (1897-1996). The Canberra Raiders are celebrating their 25th season this year (1982-2006).

I like the idea of a double header to start the 2007 season with Souths v Roosters and Dragons v Tigers.

You can argue it either way, the start of the 2008 season will be the 100th anniversary of the start of the 1908 season and the 2008 GF will be the 100th anniversary of the 1908 GF. Doesn't really matter, they've picked one, might as well go with it.

Red Bear

Referee
Knightmare said:
I like that idea alot! My suggestion for the season opener is a bit different though, and it goes like this:

Double headers have always been played at Telstra over the last few years. Why not open the season with a Queensland double-header at Suncorp and feature the Broncos vs the Cowboys and then the Titans vs somebody? The game would be a sure sellout, and a nice change from seeing St George or Wests feature in every double header at Telstra.
Why the hell open the 100th anniversery of League in queensland when it all started in Sydney? Moronic idea. Should be Souths v Easts and Saints v Wests Tigers.

mightybears

Bench
GoTheBears said:
How bout bringing back the Bears??? Could play the match v Manly at NSO and play their other games of course at Central Coast. Past is obvously the bringing back of one of the foundation clubs of Rugby League in Australia whilst also looking towards the future by moving league to an area cryibg out for a side(Central Coast). Only logical idea really :)

testify!
bears v bunnies, 20th April 2008, 100 years to the day

OT but also hitler's birthday!

innsaneink

Referee
Bumble said:
Anyone who thinks anyone other than Souths v Roosters should feature in the the centrepiece of the 100 year celebrations is deluded.

And just what IS the centrepiece???

Round one?

How quickly that comes and goes.

The 'celebrations' if any...will be season long. ....though if anybody really think its that big a deal, well I fore- see a lot of disappointed people in a few years...get a life.

Bumble

First Grade
innsaneink said:

Round one?

The 'celebrations' if any...will be season long. ....though if anybody really think its that big a deal, well I fore- see a lot of disappointed people in a few years...get a life.

So, I'm gathering it hurt when you merged away your history?

innsaneink

Referee
Bumble said:
So, I'm gathering it hurt when you merged away your history?

Yeah... I was mourning the days of wooden spoons at last years GF.

We may be merged....you're now OWNED.

Bumble

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Yeah... I was mourning the days of wooden spoons at last years GF.

We may be merged....you're now OWNED.

Everybody is owned by someone.

You are owned by hordes of bogans in Campbelltown and Balmain yuppies.

We are owned by a famous actor with a very big bank balance and a Multi-Millionaire businessman.

Hmm...which would I prefer? :lol:

innsaneink

Referee
Bumble said:
Everybody is owned by someone.

You are owned by hordes of bogans in Campbelltown and Balmain yuppies.

We are owned by a famous actor with a very big bank balance and a Multi-Millionaire businessman.

Hmm...which would I prefer? :lol:
Obviously youre a f**king idiot.

As I said before you arrived with your head up ur arse........

Round one?

Try and carry this topic on...if you cant, f**k off.

OWNED!

Bumble

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Try and carry this topic on...if you cant, f**k off.

Piss off hypocrite. I responded to what you said most recently, which you then ignored becuase you have no answer.

But ok, I'll respond to your other crap if it will make you happy.

innsaneink said:

Round one?
Yes. Obviously.
How insightful.
Of course there will be celebrations all year around, but the biggest ones will be in Round 1 and the Grand Final. And since we can't exactly fix who's going to be in that, we're going to talk about Round 1...is that OK with you?

innsaneink

Referee
Bumble said:
Piss off hypocrite. I responded to what you said most recently, which you then ignored becuase you have no answer.

But ok, I'll respond to your other crap if it will make you happy.

Just what did I ignore?

Perth Red

Post Whore
How about announce well thought out plans showing that by it's 110th birthday it will have a national competition?

Latest posts