What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marking 100 years of RL

nqboy

First Grade
GoTheBears said:
How bout bringing back the Bears??? Could play the match v Manly at NSO and play their other games of course at Central Coast. Past is obvously the bringing back of one of the foundation clubs of Rugby League in Australia whilst also looking towards the future by moving league to an area cryibg out for a side(Central Coast). Only logical idea really :)
Clever link GTB :lol:

Misty Bee

First Grade
What should the NRL do? Give Sing a big contract to tweak up an ad campaign, and promote the f**k out of it from September 2006. Flood the summer months - INCLUDING Melbourne and Auckland.

Double header - Saints v Souths, Knights v Parra at Telstra to kick it off. This celebrates the pre war (Souths), the 60's (Saints), 80's (Eels) and the bush - massive conributors to the game (Knights).

Souths, Tigers and Chooks to have their own celebrations throughout the year. The Souths/Tigers games to be played at Telstra and Aussie, with Russel Crowe's bell, and plenty of memorabilia.

Bring back the 3 test mid year Kiwi series. Tests in Townsville, Canberra and Newcastle.

Origin and the finals promote themselves. Play the Tri Nations Opener at the MCG - Kangaroos v Poms - again promote the f**k out of it - Melbournians rarely get to se us flog the Poms in anything. Final at Suncorp.

Other ideas - refloat the old idea about salary cap exemptions for signing Union players. See Chooks and Dogs throw their $$$ and decimate the Awl Blicks and Wobblies, just like the old days. Then park 'em in reserve grade.

Have round 4 as a historical round - clubs play in their original colours. In similar themes, round 8 becomes the legitimate scrums round, round 15 becomes the cauliflower ear round, and round 26 is the everyone-in-the-same-cold-bath round, and a special memorial bout of glandular fever sweeping through Canterbury as it did in '81.

Birchgrove - magnificent in round 1 1908. From round 2, it's forgotten. It's about as relevent as admitting Glebe to the NRL.

OVP

Coach
brook said:
Souths versus Wests for the opening game is fitting

Birchgrove oval is not such a hot idea :p
I'd love to see it at the den but realistically it would be held at Telstra, but having those teams involved would still work - perhaps a double-header at Telstra with the two newest RL teams the storm and the titans also featuring would be fitting?

Terribly sorry, but it will be Easts vs Souths, as always.

Its not our clubs fault you lot decided to give up your foundation status. The last two Foundation clubs should play out the first game of the year, on a Friday night.

And my dream is for the last two Foundation clubs to play out the very last game, the Grand Final. It would be record ratings + record sales for both clubs and the NRL itself. This would be the biggest game in the code's history if it eventuated imo. Cmon Souths ... get your sh*t together.

colonel_123

Juniors
For the centenary celebrations, bring back Simply The Best as a one year off marketing slogan.

"100 years on and still Simply the Best"

Re-shoot all the old ads but with new players re-enacting the old players in the previous commercials...

Misty Bee

First Grade
With a new Tina Turner?

If ya wanna get technical about foundation clubs, Parra is the oldest remaining entity that hasn't merged, died or changed name or colours. Cronulla second. Oddly, Canberra third!!!!

So an Eels/Sharks GF would suit me - ffs we'd HAVE to win that one!!!

Big Bunny

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
With a new Tina Turner?

If ya wanna get technical about foundation clubs, Parra is the oldest remaining entity that hasn't merged, died or changed name or colours. Cronulla second. Oddly, Canberra third!!!!

When exactly did Souths do any of the above? An exclusion from the NRL for 2 seasons does not equate to a death. The club played on in a series of exhibition matches. And if you do want to be technical, then you must take into account that the NRL is a relatively new competition, of which Melbourne are a foundation club. It is not a direct continuation of the NSWRL or ARL premiership.

Also you appear to neglecting the fact that Cronulla were once Cronulla-Sutherland and before that they entered the NSWRL junior reps including Flegg and Ball as Cronulla-Caringbah, wearing brown jerseys with a gold chevron.

jamesgould

Juniors
OVP said:

Its not our clubs fault you lot decided to give up your foundation status. The last two Foundation clubs should play out the first game of the year, on a Friday night.

And my dream is for the last two Foundation clubs to play out the very last game, the Grand Final. It would be record ratings + record sales for both clubs and the NRL itself. This would be the biggest game in the code's history if it eventuated imo. Cmon Souths ... get your sh*t together.

Only Sydney sides doing the rounds in 1908 were Souths and Norths, mate. And as if the Roosters are gonna make the grand final next year anyway haha.

OVP

Coach
jamesgould said:
Only Sydney sides doing the rounds in 1908 were Souths and Norths, mate. And as if the Roosters are gonna make the grand final next year anyway haha.

OMG !! genius ALERT !!

perhaps you need a check up on history you stupid Kiwi. Ever heard of Dally Messenger, Dave Brown etc ? We are the club with the most internationals in history. Yes thats right .. .the club everyone hates because they are simply jealous.

Here's a tiny bit of history you dillweed

read it and learn it, but you'd be too stupid to respect it ...

http://www.rl1908.com/Clubs/Sydney-Roosters.htm

This quote here doesnt actually tell the FULL STORY, but its close
The Sydney Roosters, formerly known as Eastern Suburbs, are the only remaining club that has been ever-present in the premiership.

This website failed to mention we are THE ONLY club to have played the full 100 years straight of Rugby League history. Poor old Souths need to play another 98 years to play 100 consecutive years :)

here's another link to the greatest club of all ... admit it, its ignorance and jealousy why we are so hated isnt it ? The ignorance part was proved by the dumb kiwi above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Roosters

brook

First Grade
OVP said:

I guess you missed my follow-up post where I said pretty much that ;-)

KFC

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
With a new Tina Turner?

Parra did change their logo and they added the Eels to their name.

Big Bunny

Juniors
OVP said:
OMG !! genius ALERT !!

perhaps you need a check up on history you stupid Kiwi. Ever heard of Dally Messenger, Dave Brown etc ? We are the club with the most internationals in history. Yes thats right .. .the club everyone hates because they are simply jealous.

This website failed to mention we are THE ONLY club to have played the full 100 years straight of Rugby League history. Poor old Souths need to play another 98 years to play 100 consecutive years :)

here's another link to the greatest club of all ... admit it, its ignorance and jealousy why we are so hated isnt it ? The ignorance part was proved by the dumb kiwi above.

The NRL isn't a direct continuation of the ARL and NSWRL premierships, thus whilst you've played for 100 straight years, you haven't played 100 years in the one premiership. That is exactly the same situation as is present with Souths, who have played 100 years straight, with a number of senior game in both of the wilderness years, and our club continued to play its lower grades in the NSWRL. Contrary to what what some people seem to believe, a club does not start and end with the senior grade.

If you want to delve into the issue further, then the Roosters should be celebrating a year later than Souths, as we were formed in October 1907. What most fans have mistakenly been celebrating is the date in January 1908 when we applied to join the NSWRFL, second behind Newtown.

You should know better than to trust wikipedia for your facts. It's even worse than David Middleton and some of the rubbish he comes out with.

jamesgould

Juniors
OVP said:
OMG !! genius ALERT !!

Oh for gods sake! Are you really stupid enough to think that I don't know Easts changed their name to Sydney City then Sydney?

THAT WAS THE POINT OF MY POST!!!!

Try and read between the lines, I can't believe you bothered to dig up all that info ... #-o

Knightmare

Coach
colonel_123 said:
For the centenary celebrations, bring back Simply The Best as a one year off marketing slogan.

"100 years on and still Simply the Best"

Re-shoot all the old ads but with new players re-enacting the old players in the previous commercials...

I like that idea alot! My suggestion for the season opener is a bit different though, and it goes like this:

Double headers have always been played at Telstra over the last few years. Why not open the season with a Queensland double-header at Suncorp and feature the Broncos vs the Cowboys and then the Titans vs somebody? The game would be a sure sellout, and a nice change from seeing St George or Wests feature in every double header at Telstra.

jamesgould

Juniors
Knightmare said:
I like that idea alot! My suggestion for the season opener is a bit different though, and it goes like this:

Double headers have always been played at Telstra over the last few years. Why not open the season with a Queensland double-header at Suncorp and feature the Broncos vs the Cowboys and then the Titans vs somebody? The game would be a sure sellout, and a nice change from seeing St George or Wests feature in every double header at Telstra.

Yeah, I like that idea as well! About time Queensland got a really big NRL game. Dunno about the Tina Turner thing, though.

nqboy

First Grade
OVP said:
The last two Foundation clubs should play out the first game of the year, on a Friday night.
Yeah, we haven't seen that match-up in Round 1 for a while :roll:

OVP said:
The Rorters/Swans/Wageniuss bandwagon would put in a guest appearance, I presume?

nqboy

First Grade
Knightmare said:

Why are we talking aobut lessening our crowds with double headers? A roulnd of local derbies to open the season, like we used to have.

Bumble

First Grade
Anyone who thinks anyone other than Souths v Roosters should feature in the the centrepiece of the 100 year celebrations is deluded.

griff

Bench
Actually, it should be held in 2007.

The comp started in 1908, which was the first season.
1909 was the second season.
Australia hosted the World Cup in 1957 to celebrate 50 years of RL in Australia.
The ARL celebreated 90 years in 1997.
We will celebrate 100 years in 2007.

2008 will actually be the 101st season.

The AFL celebrated their centenary in 1996 (1897-1996). The Canberra Raiders are celebrating their 25th season this year (1982-2006).

I like the idea of a double header to start the 2007 season with Souths v Roosters and Dragons v Tigers.