What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maroons put Sharks offside with bench ploy

Frenzy.

Post Whore

By Greg Prichard
June 28, 2005

Cronulla welcomed their veteran prop Danny Nutley's selection in the Queensland team yesterday and then accused the Maroons of going against the spirit of State of Origin by leaving a spot vacant on their bench for the series-deciding game.

The Sharks said it was unfair that while they would have to do without Nutley in their game against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, Tonie Carroll could play for Brisbane and then in the Origin game if selected.

Maroons selectors are waiting to see how Carroll and North Queensland's Travis Norton fare in NRL matches before deciding who to put in the spot they left open on the interchange bench when they named their team for Origin III yesterday.

Carroll will make a comeback from a calf injury against Cronulla and is the favourite to get the spot if he proves his fitness. "They are bending the rules to suit themselves," Sharks chief executive Steve Rogers said last night. "It's not the first time and it won't be the last time, but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes."

Rogers said he would not be making a formal complaint to the ARL about the Queensland measure because he actually felt sympathy for the Maroons.

He understood Queensland had a much smaller player pool to pick from than NSW and that even though the Broncos were able to use Carroll, they still had to do without five players who were unavailable because of Origin selection.

But he still argued that what the Maroons did wasn't right. "I just feel it's not in the best interests of the game," he said.

Cronulla coach Stuart Raper supported Rogers and added that he felt the Origin selection regulations needed to be tightened.

On a day of Origin drama yesterday, the Maroons' decision to name only 16 players was just one of several hot topics as the countdown began to the game at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow week.

Breadman

Juniors
Captain Jack Sparrow said:

he actually felt sympathy for the Maroons.

I feel sorry for Qlders aswell, come birthday time you only get the one present if your girlfriend is your sister

Breadman said:
I feel sorry for Qlders aswell, come birthday time you only get the one present if your girlfriend is your sister

When I lived in Queensland, this one used to do the rounds of the pubs. A similar one to that was:

Q: What's the definition of a Queensland virgin?

A: A girl who can run faster than her brother.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Sicko's!!

Back to the subject, Is this a loophole or is there no rule on this type of thing?

Fuggen cheats!

MightySharks

Bench
Let him play, all he will be thinking is, I must not get hurt, I have to play on Wednesday.It will be the one and only time Tony Carroll will be below his best

menai_dogs

Juniors
Captain Jack Sparrow said:

By Greg Prichard
June 28, 2005

Cronulla welcomed their veteran prop Danny Nutley's selection in the Queensland team yesterday and then accused the Maroons of going against the spirit of State of Origin by leaving a spot vacant on their bench for the series-deciding game.

The Sharks said it was unfair that while they would have to do without Nutley in their game against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, Tonie Carroll could play for Brisbane and then in the Origin game if selected.

Maroons selectors are waiting to see how Carroll and North Queensland's Travis Norton fare in NRL matches before deciding who to put in the spot they left open on the interchange bench when they named their team for Origin III yesterday.

Carroll will make a comeback from a calf injury against Cronulla and is the favourite to get the spot if he proves his fitness. "They are bending the rules to suit themselves," Sharks chief executive Steve Rogers said last night. "It's not the first time and it won't be the last time, but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes."

Rogers said he would not be making a formal complaint to the ARL about the Queensland measure because he actually felt sympathy for the Maroons.

He understood Queensland had a much smaller player pool to pick from than NSW and that even though the Broncos were able to use Carroll, they still had to do without five players who were unavailable because of Origin selection.

But he still argued that what the Maroons did wasn't right. "I just feel it's not in the best interests of the game," he said.

Cronulla coach Stuart Raper supported Rogers and added that he felt the Origin selection regulations needed to be tightened.

On a day of Origin drama yesterday, the Maroons' decision to name only 16 players was just one of several hot topics as the countdown began to the game at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow week.

thats why it should be called the "BRL" (Brisbane/rossters league)

even with carroll, the sharks should win it. hopefully brisbane, coming from a loss will still be on a slump... but last time we came off a bye and lost....

Booyah

Bench
It's typical crap from QLD. I remember they did it with Lote so he could beat a judicial rap.

I hope Carroll plays, then Brisbane won't have as many excuses when we belt them.

MightySharks

Bench
menai_dogs said:
im sorry if i sound dumb, but what does tba mean?
Have a look at his head and you will understand "why the long face" comment and I will be calling him TBA as everyone knows he will be the 17th man for QLD even though they didn't name him they named TBA as thier 17th man

menai_dogs

Juniors
MightySharks said:
Have a look at his head and you will understand "why the long face" comment and I will be calling him TBA as everyone knows he will be the 17th man for QLD even though they didn't name him they named TBA as thier 17th man

well i figured the first bit out... i just didnt know what tba was. wasnt thinking straight...

imasharkie

Coach
Eskimo Sharkie said:
When I lived in Queensland, this one used to do the rounds of the pubs. A similar one to that was:

Q: What's the definition of a Queensland virgin?

A: A girl who can run faster than her brother.

Recycled a Tasmanian joke there mate. I've lived in both states and it was always a joke about Tasmanian girls in both states. Oh well you're all just sore losers because you know you won't beat us this time, with or without TC.