What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall and Halatau definitely out of Tri Nations

innsaneink

Referee
douglasallen91 said:
then whats the problem with them playing then, if they have been playing injured anyway.

Its the same with any players, whether they wouldve made rep teams or not, they will all go in for surgery as soon as this years campaign has finished, to be ready for next years campaign as soon as poss., if they aint injured....fine they play, if they aint picked, they dont play, if theyre injured, they go for surgery = miss the tour = tough luck......injuries, its an occupational hazard of the pro footy player.

Its quite simple, and this entire argument is really a complete waste of time.

innsaneink said:
Its quite simple, and this entire argument is really a complete waste of time.

just like international footy.

clinton toopi needed surgery at the end of last season (but warriors said he could play).

so you are telling me that two weeks difference if tigers get to grand final is going to be the difference between been ready for 2006 season start.

ah no but pre season is more important than international footy, thats where union kicks leagues ass.

saves the tigers a bit under the salary cap as well with bonuses most probably.

can't wait for the day until all three teams play under the same rules.

lockyno1

Post Whore
douglasallen91 said:
just like international footy.

so you are telling me that two weeks difference if tigers get to grand final is going to be the difference between been ready for 2006 season start.

ah no but pre season is more important than international footy, thats where union kicks leagues ass.

Yes, it will make a difference! Fitness will not be at 100%! Look I see your point but jeez thank goodness the clubs have the right to get their players back playing at 100% next season. Tough luck!

lockyno1 said:
Yes, it will make a difference! Fitness will not be at 100%! Look I see your point but jeez thank goodness the clubs have the right to get their players back playing at 100% next season. Tough luck!

ah but thats where u are wrong.
kiwi players you can stop playing for their country, but you can't the aussies and english (if you had any) as they can only be ruled out of the tri nations by the arl doctor (or whatever the english one is for the english).

last year penrith wanted out cause of injury puletua, gaulavo and gower. but penrith couldn't stop gower because the arl doctor said he could still play on the tour and be fit for the start of the new season.

thats all we want is a independent docter (ie. the cronulla sharks doctor that is retiring from them) to operate under the same rules.

injuries to aussie does not have the same impact on them as it does the kiwis as we don't have the numbers to fill them, especially in the halves and hookers.

out
marshall
halatau
hohaia (probably be in but is struggling with knee injury)
leulaui (broken leg)
swain (retired)
anderson (is not a hooker and is coming off a serious knee injury but will still go on tour and be likely hooker out of default)
thank god jones has come out of retirement for two games at least.
6. vagana
7. jones
9. hohaia (if fit) or anderson.

with young blood faiumu to play otherwise

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
No. What they are saying is international rugby league sucks, hence the logical response is to do everything possible to keep it that way:?

avsterooster

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
No. What they are saying is international rugby league sucks, hence the logical response is to do everything possible to keep it that way:?

no thats incorrect

what you have to understand is comparing it to union is unrealistic.
Union super 12 and now 14 is an international competition. It is only 12 rounds long which is so small and unchallenging on the body compared to 24 rounds of league plus 3 state of origin, plus a test match plus city v country plus 4 rounds of finals

so what you are looking at is comparing a max of 14 super 12 games up against 30 nrl style games. With the nrl as it is being much harder on the body

THe nrl is the top competition in the world. Its like comparing the english premier league and the soccer olympics. No one cares about the olympics and even for some the soccer world cup is not as big or as important as the premier league.

For league the NRL is the competition that matters, yes it would be great to see international league grow and i am by no means saying to get rid of it or not waiste our time on it

but clubs have every right to protect their players from playing if they wont be ready for pre season and fully fit for the gruelling season ahead.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
I don't believe it needs to be changed, becuase in the end the NZRL or the ARL can't afford to pay the player in the facinity of $100,000+, which therefore means the clubs have ultimate control. When answering this question, I ask myself this, would MOST players rather win a premiership or play a couple of tests for Aus/NZ? I think you will find most would take the premiership! That says the clubs deserve the right to get their players to be at 100% fitness, and if that means missisng the tri-nations then so be it!

THAT is the exact problem

when a domestic competition is bigger than the international game then the international game suffers

I would much rather represent NZ than win a premiership but that is because
a) im from nz and due to the all blacks representing nz in a rugby style game is huge
b) the premiership doesnt mean as much over in NZ obviously

The international game should take precidince even over SOO in a perfect world but hey it doesnt

the only short term solution i see is to change the scheduling, there is honestly no point having this Tri Nations if all these players from all 3 countries are going to be ruled out every year, there is deadset no point becos Aussie due to their depth will continue to clean up and kiwis will continue to wonder what if we had all our players? so yeah the only solution is to somehow alter scheduling

I honestly believe that if rugby league ever wants to grow from where it is now it needs a strong international game. And regardless of who holds the blame the current situation sets up the international matches as little more than an after thought and a bit of a joke. The NRL is a great competition, but without expanding to seriously push other aspects of the game I just see league falling further and further behind other sports, which is a real shame.