What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall and Halatau definitely out of Tri Nations

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I just said he would figure in NZ's plans fo sho, cos of all the usual unavailabilities.

imo Hohaia is a better dummy half runner. Just a matter of opinion. And Halatau should never play in the NZ backrow with all the options we have. He wouldn't be in my top 10 backrowers.

avsterooster

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
If these players have been playing injured for the entire season, then what's another 3-4 games??? It's obviously very serious if the Tigers keep on playing them. Under your logic, the Tigers would have booked them in for surgery when the regular season was over.

Yet they are fit enough to play in the finals series. Why are they not fit for another few international games???

This thing about the clubs paying the wages, so they should get final say is just not going to work. The International Federation might as well throw in the towel and give up all hope of building a strong international competition.

This has been debated to death, but the International Federation has to work with the NRL & ESL, set in place some strong guidelines and try to find a place for international League during the regular season.

you have to realise that at the moment thats unrealistic. As you stated it is spot on that the clubs pay the players wages. Benji will have surgery immedietly after the Tigers are knocked out or win the comp. This way he will have time to fully recover and have a full off season of training with the tigers...

if you goes on tour he comes back a few weeks late, has surgery and misses the start off offseason training which means he runs behind schedule in fitness strength and can risk causing more damage to the shoulder.

But hey wat do NZ care hes played the 3 games he had to or watever. The club is his employer and has every right to want him to be right for the beginning of pre season training, if he could tour and not be affected by the start of pre season thats a dif issue.

the injury is obviously not critical if he is playing but the simple fact is it needs to be done and hes got an obligation to the tigers for 24 + rounds and obviously the tigers expect him at 100% when the first trial comes around.

i agree with you, in an ideal world something should be done, but your talking about players health here. its not that they arent interested in touring. Imagine if benji went there damaged his shoulder and was out for 6-12 months. Similar to mason this yr.

Anyway my 2 cents worth

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
You are right. That doesn't change the fact that it's deplorable that in our game pre-season training is more important than internationals.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thierry Henry said:
You are right. That doesn't change the fact that it's deplorable that in our game pre-season training is more important than internationals.

For clubs it is, simple! They pay the wages, they want their players performing at 100% capacity come round 1! It is fair enough.

avsterooster

Juniors
bingo locky, a club doesnt go 'oh wow benji was so good for nz'

a club is intrested in one thing. having the best 17 players fit all yr
and winning a comp

lockyno1

Post Whore
avsterooster said:

and winning a comp

EXACTLY! In the end it is a business, and if your team is not winning you are not going to get gate receipts as high as you may like it. Without you best players performing at 100% there is a higher chance of losing! The club would be blind stupid to risk that! Add to that yes, they want to win a comp!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
lockyno1 said:
For clubs it is, simple! They pay the wages, they want their players performing at 100% capacity come round 1! It is fair enough.

Ummmm.........you are right.

Correct.

That is true.

It also sucks and needs to be changed, somehow. ok?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Well I don't know, only the various administrations have access to the full financial information etc.

The most important thing to do first is just to accept that there is a problem, and accept that defending your club's right to do this and that shouldn't be as important as coming up with ways to change the situation...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thierry Henry said:
Ummmm.........you are right.

Correct.

That is true.

It also sucks and needs to be changed, somehow. ok?

I don't believe it needs to be changed, becuase in the end the NZRL or the ARL can't afford to pay the player in the facinity of $100,000+, which therefore means the clubs have ultimate control. When answering this question, I ask myself this, would MOST players rather win a premiership or play a couple of tests for Aus/NZ? I think you will find most would take the premiership! That says the clubs deserve the right to get their players to be at 100% fitness, and if that means missisng the tri-nations then so be it!

rahrahboy

Juniors
Benji is just saving himself for his Rugby World Cup debut it 2007....why risk injuring yourself in a second-rate "international" series...
I'm surprised he is even bothering to play for the tigers, seeing as he doesn't have to play a serious game until 2007.

avsterooster said:

and winning a comp

the club should also realise that they could be slowing benji's development and limiting his career. Benji (and halatau, for that matter) would be more benefit to the tigers with international experience, and the confidance that experience would bring with it.

wouldnt you prefer to have a few more proven successful internationals in your team, simply for the intimidation factor?

lockyno1

Post Whore
eeelectroshooting? said:
wouldnt you prefer to have a few more proven successful internationals in your team, simply for the intimidation factor?

No, put simply! I'd rather have a 100% fit player thanks!

AuckMel

Bench
eeelectroshooting? said:
the club should also realise that they could be slowing benji's development and limiting his career. Benji (and halatau, for that matter) would be more benefit to the tigers with international experience, and the confidance that experience would bring with it.

Good point.

eeelectroshooting? said:

The more tests they play, the higher their value. The higher their value, the more chance a club has of losing him under the current salary cap laws.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
rahrahboy said:
Benji is just saving himself for his Rugby World Cup debut it 2007....why risk injuring yourself in a second-rate "international" series...
I'm surprised he is even bothering to play for the tigers, seeing as he doesn't have to play a serious game until 2007.

:lol: Stirrer!

rahrahboy said:

Rugby have a world cup?

Since when?

hybrid_tiger said:
Halatau and Marshall have been playing injured all year.

If you don't want to believe it, than thats your problem.

then whats the problem with them playing then, if they have been playing injured anyway.

hybrid_tiger said:
How?

That is the question no-one has answered. All I've heard is whinging, but no solutions...
to start with:
firstly by having tigers paying out the bonus to benji for playing internationals (not in real money but just under the salary cap)

and secondly by having all three teams operate under the same rules in the tri nations.