What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall in Fight at Sapphire

chopsy_05

Juniors
Exclusive by Josh Massoud
June 16, 2008 07:31pm
Daily Telegraph

POLICE are investigating an incident this morning at a Kings Cross club involving Benji Marshall.
It's claimed the Wests Tigers star tried to punch another patron at the Sapphire Suite.
The Daily Telegraph has exclusive picture proof of the altercation.
A witness has told The Telegraph hostilities started when a man extended his hand to Marshall.
Were you there? Contact us confidentially by phoning 02 9288 3415.
Police are investigating the incident, but have initially cleared Marshall of any wrongdoing after speaking to him on the scene and viewing CCTV footage.
While the 23-year-old Kiwi International was not arrested or charged, the incident raises fresh debate over the wisdom of NRL stars frequenting the Cross late at night.
It comes just three months after Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne was shot at two blocks from the Sapphire.
Ignoring warnings from Parramatta officials after the March 2 shooting, Eels quartet Mark Riddell, Brett Finch, Feleti Mateo and Eric Grothe were all inside the club when Marshall came to blows.
The Parramatta players had put Marshall's Tigers to the sword - 44-6 at ANZ Stadium - just hours earlier and were enjoying celebratory drinks at the famed footballer's hang-out.
The owner of the Sapphire Suite, Charlie Saleh, was shot in the thigh on the same night Hayne was fired upon.
Don't miss tomorrow's Daily Telegraph for the ONLY image of the Marshall incident.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/4595017/marshall-targeted-sydney-nightspot
Marshall targeted at Sydney nightspot
AAP - June 16, 2008, 8:02 pm

Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall has again come under attack by a member of the general public with the Kiwi international having to avoid being punched while at a Kings Cross nightspot.

Two years after being knocked down in a pub brawl, Marshall was targeted by another patron in the early hours of Monday morning at the Sapphire Lounge.

The man was removed from the premises by security staff, but according to reports, no charges were laid.

There was no indication that Marshall was at fault or that he provoked the attack, police reportedly commending the 23-year-old on his behaviour throughout the incident.

Marshall was at the nightclub after playing for the Tigers in Sunday's 44-6 loss to Parramatta at ANZ Stadium.

The Tigers said that they were happy with Marshall's explanation, which had been supported by their own investigations.

"Benji came up to see me today and walked me through it," Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said.

"I've been making calls this afternoon and I understand from a police report that Benji was put under pressure by various people but handled it as well as he could.

"The police were saying he handled it very well, which is pleasing."

Asked if the matter was closed as far as the club was concerned, Noyce said:

"If other information comes forward I'm happy to take that on board, but at this stage the information, supported by police report, (indicates) the club doesn't need to take any action."

Marshall was unavailable for comment.

In March 2006 Marshall was knocked to the ground during a brawl at a Coffs Harbour pub.

He claimed at the time that the incident would change his views on heading out to nightspots in the future.

what is this Massoud bloke on :?

the news also reported that the police praised Marshall

typical news ltd trash

Raging Rabbit

juniors
Awww...when you have nothing, as is always - get personal.

I owe you an apology Ink.

When we first crossed swords, I'd tagged you unfairly as a dickhead.

For when dickheads are measured, many would argue both you and I and perhaps many others, we'd be measured in centimetres.

But when this little, bald, fat jewish merkin that you have to put up with "supporting" your club is measured in kilometres, all things are put back in perspective. ;-)

innsaneink

Referee
MOTH is a sad little man that doesnt realise that those that disapprove and cannot accept of the JV support their original team in State cup.
Bitch moan and whinge but wont do a thing about it.

innsaneink

Referee
Yes, Ashfield local & Magpies junior as a kid...team photo is in the memorabilia display at Wests Ashfield.

Mish

Juniors
Yes, Ashfield local & Magpies junior as a kid...team photo is in the memorabilia display at Wests Ashfield.

I was looking at that display after the Pratton Park game. Next time I'm there I will have a peek and see if I spot you in any of them.

Raging Rabbit

juniors

Good on you fella.

You've obviously embraced the concept, as difficult as it may have been.

It was for the likes of you guys that when you won the comp in 2005, I had tears in my eyes and I embraced the moment like it were Souths.

A battling club, that had for years struggled had finally tasted success.

It sh*ts me no end to see wankers like COTH and other fuctards, white ant your organisation.

Clearly they have NFI - just big f**king mouths.

Same goes for the white ant nuffies at the SGI partnership.

The path was chosen by both parties.

I find it most amusing that the loud mouths from both joint ventures come form the side that initially had the upper hand but which is now very much the poorer cousin; i.e. Balmain and St. George. :lol:

I only give it to the Balmain turds here who are intent on having a crack at Souths.

Truth be known, I never minded Balmain until that merkin Elias pulled the jumper on.

Then again, I'm with the rest of Australia on that one.

Anyway, to all the Wests crew and decent Balmain folk, best of luck.

To Catonthehill, mefarkingowmerkin. :lol:

innsaneink

Referee
Ive made some great friends with plenty of Balmain/Wests Tigers fans thru the JV.
Most are great passionate fans that can move on.
Dunno why one would bother with something one clearly loathes, like someone in a terrible marriage, staying in it for god knows what, or the sick person too stubborn to seek medical help....its masochistic

Raging Rabbit

juniors
Benny was an absolute merkin so I can understand that one, but great player. :)

He remains a merkin to this day. ;-)

He wasn't a bad footballer but he is best remembered by hitting the cross bar in a grand final.

I find that the most fitting of epitaphs. :lol:

"He was farkin good, but NOT good enough when it mattered"!!!!!!!!!

Dave Q

Coach
Someone on line beating up on that mong MOTH and I missed it.

Ken Bummer.

Heard of people buying kidneys and livers?

Benji's always out at the cross late at night trying to buy a shoulder off of people.

And when they say no, he goes ballistic and starts fights.

Illegal trading in limbs for footballers-its a crime.

A secret shady underworld of blood vessells, skin and AC ligaments.

And Benji is the "Mr Limb" of the whole operation.

Ive broken the story here on LU first so go suck on it News baby...

Stick that up your jumper's Buzz and Bec.

Not so exclusive now, heres a photo of my elbow, now print that tomorrow instead.

Bend over....and kiss rabbit.

Last edited:
I posted this on the 28th of May http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=201187 and was bagged for it. Less than 3 weeks after my scoop look at what is in today's telegraph....
Benji Marshall wanted to quit the Wests Tigers

Article from:

By Josh Massoud
June 17, 2008 12:00am

UNWANTED attentions that come with NRL stardom had Benji Marshall comtemplating a switch to England - and that was before yesterday morning's latest drama.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Marshall had confided to friends a growing frustration with the modern-day game and his role as one of its headline acts.
His punch-up with a quarrelsome patron at Kings Cross nightclub Sapphire Lounge is Marshall's third physical altercation with a punter in the past two years.
In 2006, he was savagely punched at a Coffs Harbour pub. Then, just last November, he was slapped in the face at the Eastern Hotel - sparking an all-in-brawl that finished with Eels star Mark Riddell being glassed in the face.
Marshall's manager Martin Tauber last night revealed the 23-year-old was harassed far more often than the public record currently shows, but it is understood Marshall's angst extends beyond his run-ins with boozed- up punters.
As recently as two weeks ago, Marshall told friends of his disillusionment with the lack of loyalty in rugby league.
When the time came to re-new his contract with the Tigers, Marshall wanted a longer deal. Instead, he was given just a one-year extension which means he must negotiate again next year.
But the recent loss of Tigers skipper Brett Hodgson to English club Huddersfield re-awakened Marshall's concerns. Like many other Wests players, he was already disappointed to farewell 2005 premiership-winning teammates Paul Whatuira, Daniel Fitzhenry and Ben Galea to the UK Super League.
"Benji has been telling people he is not happy about a number of things in the NRL, and wouldn't mind having a go at England," a source close to the player said.
When confronted by suggestions Marshall might want out, Tauber said leaving the NRL was not in his immediate plans.
"Benji might have said those sorts of things out of disappointment of being injured, or seeing Hodgo go," Tauber said.
"He could go to England and France and earn a lot more money - there's no doubt.
"It would also have the benefit of him not being noticed so much, which would lead to less harassment. But for the present, Benji feels he still has much to achieve in the NRL."
Tauber raised the prospect of hiring Marshall a private bodyguard after last November's incident.
"But he didn't like that because he felt it showed he couldn't look after himself," Tauber said.
"I don't know what the answer is any more. He's a high-profile sportsperson who's entitled to go out and have a good time. We can't lock him inside and throw away the key."
Tigers CEO Steve Noyce spent much of yesterday gathering information about the incident, and will wait until later this week to decide what action to take - if any - against the talented playmaker.
He said Marshall had never expressed any desire to leave to club management.

I guess that makes me 2 from 2 ;)

TimmyB

Juniors
I posted this on the 28th of May http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=201187 and was bagged for it. Less than 3 weeks after my scoop look at what is in today's telegraph....

I guess that makes me 2 from 2 ;)

If it was really Marshall you were talking about, why, when asked who it was, did you respnd:

Put it his way, MOTH will pack his bags gladly.

MOTH is the biggest Marshall apologist around.

Mish

Juniors
I think it was that Parra Eels (sorry cant recall his forum name) fan that was suggesting Benji was having some woes.

TimmyB

Juniors
What is the significance of quoting Sheens' record over 10 years? Why not his entire career, or just his time with the Tigers?

It's rather arbitrary and totally disingenuous. The mark of an intellectual lilliput.

moller

Juniors
Massoud is a sensationalist stooge of the highest order - the worst of a bad lot at the Telegraph.

TimmyB

Juniors
Sorry, but stating anyone could have coached those sides to premierships is insufficient. With the number of Storm players in the Origin side the same be said about Bellamy. Or Bennets' broncos (98 & 2000 in particular). That pbscures the relationship of the coach with the players and his effect upon their games, not to mention the coach's role in crafting those squads. Sheens has a respect of a lot of people within the game, particularly from players he's coached. Whilst I agree Sheens is a protected species, you don't attain that level of respect without having some idea of what you're doing. Else we'd have Luke O'donnell waxing lyrical over the effect Terry Lamb had in his formative years. Your posts would seem to deny that Sheens has even the most elementary grasp of the modern game. His statistic post 2004 - or hell let's selectively quote and use 2005 as the yardstick - seem to contradict that. Sheens has made some dreadful decisions in the past few years. Be it recruitment, be it team selections, choice of support staff or tactics. You're spot on in a lot of what you say.

However, you have a penchant for melodrama. The result is that the majority of your posts and opinions frighteningly unbalanced the majoirty of the time. Dismissing the 2005 premiership is but one example. Whilst this has its moments, it's all rather inane. Not to mention it acheives nothing.

For me, selectively shaving off Sheens career to 10 years and declaring it the modern era (why the last 10 and not the last 5) is but one example of that.

One more example. You wax lyrical about our amazing 'spine', saying it's the second best around. Preusmably you believe that to be a reason we have a squad that's better than 11th. Yet for much of the year, that spine has had vertebrae missing. How can you adequately judge Sheens win/loss record this season when the majority of losses came at this stage?

Last edited: