What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall to leave the Tigers

Minh

First Grade
It's been simmering for while hasn't it so I wouldn't be surprised.

TheRev

Coach
Its a disaster for the NRL though, 1 less star half in the pool, and Tigers with money to spend..

super annoying

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just heard on the radio. A club with bigger problems than us.
Just the tip of the iceberg. The Magpies are circling.

Balmain are in debt and battling just to hang onto their liquor license. Creditors pressuring for money including a certain former player. Meanwhile Wests are in profit. Balmain could fold. The Wests Tigers JV franchise looks to be in strife.

TheRev

Coach
Cronullas new 5/8th
Benji has said publically that he "would not play for another NRL club" with some BS about his honour and loyalty.. but basically its because he has been weighing up the Union offer.

Still annoying though that the NRL cant get their policy in order for marquee players.. assuming he wanted to stay that is or the tigers wanted to keep him, I think there is a disparity in him accepting his new worth vs his old contract when he was on fire.

Father Ted

First Grade
Benji has said publically that he "would not play for another NRL club" with some BS about his honour and loyalty.. but basically its because he has been weighing up the Union offer.

Still annoying though that the NRL cant get their policy in order for marquee players.. assuming he wanted to stay that is or the tigers wanted to keep him, I think there is a disparity in him accepting his new worth vs his old contract when he was on fire.

Israel has shown them what a league player can do .

Country Dragon

Juniors

Soward also said publicly he wouldn't play against the Dragons, that means nothing!

nrlnrl

First Grade
I wouldn't say he's left yet, they're still testing to see if the Tigers make one last effort to keep him ( might even involve the club asking the NRL for help / advice ).

Anyway, the Tigers are going for a youth policy with their squad from 2014 onwards & will build around Brooks & Moses in the halves with other players like Simona, Santi & the 2 Sironens.

yep - good call.

Like having to wear reading glasses, a certain denial that comes with age.

TheRev

Coach
yep - good call.

Like having to wear reading glasses, a certain denial that comes with age.
Yah its interesting because in the corporate world you never really go down in salary, you just stay the same or go up with experience, but with footy players, I mean inevitably age &/or form catches up, and surely the salary has to reflect that?

But that must be a brutal conversation to have? "Hi B.Creagh, look ur team captain and try your guts out every week, but we think your half the player you were 4 years ago", I assume it has to happen, or you get yourself into the situation that we did, holding on to 2 much mediocre/ageing players overall (just to be clear Creagh has to stay, im just saying overall).

David007

Juniors
Sadly another case of a blindsided board and a coach not getting on with his players - sounds familiar. How many clubs is this happening to? It is a concern........

nrlnrl

First Grade
Sadly another case of a blindsided board and a coach not getting on with his players - sounds familiar. How many clubs is this happening to? It is a concern........

even though he's past his best on the field, he still has great value off it for both the Tigers & the NRL. There should be massive discounts for 1-club players once they rack up 10 years. Does anyone know what the current salary cap discounts are in that area ?

jenninga

First Grade
.....thanks to scoop Bulldog Ritchie, who claimed on Sunday BigSportBreakfast that Marshall would re-sign for another 12 months under less money!

Bulldog Ritchie blocked me on twitter,he must have got sick of me complementing him on giving us the breaking news an hour after 20 other tweets broke the same news .

jenninga

First Grade

Benji has been playing on reputation for the last couple of years.He can never be the player he was.

Martin Tauber was on Big sports this morning frustrated that a handshake agreement was not honoured by the tigers. Interesting comments when you hark back to the Moltzen fiasco.

For the record - Benji will be a massive loss to us, you don't chuck out once in a generation players with his clout on and off the field.

Twenty10

Juniors
Martin Tauber was on Big sports this morning frustrated that a handshake agreement was not honoured by the tigers. Interesting comments when you hark back to the Moltzen fiasco.

For the record - Benji will be a massive loss to us, you don't chuck out once in a generation players with his clout on and off the field.

He's done nothing for 6 years. His persona off the field is far more valuable than his ability on it.

BennyV

Referee
He's done nothing for 6 years. His persona off the field is far more valuable than his ability on it.

Yes he has, in 2011 he attempted a drop goal in the final against us, then when it didnt come off he regathered and ran 50m to score :sarcasm:

It was 'Benji Brilliance', just ask Gould :roll: