Mary contract extension talks start

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by George Dragon, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Juniors

Roster has improved but nothing else.
    Coaching function is mediocrity personified.

2. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

You honesty think Mary can deliver a premiership ?
    Serious question.

Is 5 years not long enough for you to see his limitations ?

3. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

The extension discussion was always going to take place when the 5 most obvious NRL candidates that were open to a coaching move - Bennett, Siebold, Cleary, Hasler, Maguire all got locked up elsewhere at the end of last year.

There is no obvious replacement now unless we're talking about Barrett, Griffin or even Neil Henry, none of those 3 really excite me to be honest. We can look to Super League and consider guys like Tony Smith, Shaun Wane or Justin Holbrook perhaps. Assistants like O'Brien, Dymock, Taylor or Demetriou might be a possibility?

Any of those blokes could be a better option than Mary for sure, but none are a sure thing which is exactly what the Board will say.

So given the way our management think, Mary gets the gig again by default unfortunately.

blacksafake likes this.
  4. Dennis Papaioannou

Pretty piss poor way to plan your coaching appointments.
    The Board's perseverance with McGregor is more about them not admitting they made a mistake in the first place.
    Should they do that and, for example, we don't do well in 2019, they should all resign. They have been grossly negligent in their duties.
    Whatever the case, no renewal is justified until the end of 2019.
    If they renew now and things go pear shaped, where does that leave us?

to_ddeath likes this.
  5. Crush

Crush Bench

Even if Bennett, Bellamy and Seibold were available right now the Dragons would still be signing Mary. The board are quite happy with him. I think he is very very lucky that Millward had done such a stellar job with recruitment.
    Imagine how he would go with a weak roster!
    This 2019 roster is pretty handy minus a couple of outside backs. Surely even Mary can make a go of this if he makes some tough calls like dropping lafai back to park footy.

ALSGI and getsmarty like this.
  6. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

Weill, 2018 proved that with a good roster he's capable of making the 8, and perhaps win a finals game. But that's the best we can hope for to be honest.

Unless he Bradbury's a premiership if everyone else falls over?

blacksafake and getsmarty like this.
  7. Crush

Crush Bench

It depends a bit on how Norman, Hunt and Widdop play.
    Hunt started well but fell over after origin last year. If he can find some confidence and have a ripper season and Norman and Widdop stay fit all year and gel together then surely even Mary can win a comp with those 3 and a mean pack of forwards?
    A lot of ifs though......

8. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

Dennis my insiders tell me the sports group that made offer to take over wanted too much control that's why WIN got the gig .long live the old boys club .seems money doesn't talk in this case.....

9. Como Connection

Como Connection Bench

Exactly, there are no standouts and Holbrook may want to stay in the ESL longer or want too much money.
    Therefore by befault cheap Mary wins!
    CC

10. getsmarty

getsmarty Coach

Correct...and it says it all....may end up being the death of our once great club.

11. watatank

watatank Coach

The guy has been talking himself into contract extensions since the moment he got here. He's very good at framing the situation in a positive light for himself, regardless of the strength of the roster and has been doing it the whole time. Can't wait for him to be gone but could take a while

12. WepnutV

WepnutV Juniors

n
    i remember 5 years ago when we were rubbish and yes i beleive he will deliver a premiership

13. Dennis Papaioannou

Still dreaming...

14. possm

possm First Grade

I'd like to see the stats supporting your argument however, I know that this is near impossible to find. The only stats we can get are the opinions on this forum so let's just test that with a poll.

15. possm

possm First Grade

I feel it is up to the CEO to guide the Board with sound, factual advice and that this advice be made public. Let's see where the road blocks are and do something about removing them.

16. grouch

grouch First Grade

Since then we've won 1 finals game. So we're no longer rubbish, just mediocre.

We can do better. Ditch Mary

to_ddeath and blacksafake like this.
  17. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

Public...since when?. It is good to dream.
    Possm..you need to get a job on the board if you want to find out the inner secrets of meetings and all the behind the scenes stuff you desire and be able to remove them.
    Not even paying supporter members get jack.
    I even think League Club members can not do anything directly re the Board of St George Illawarra on the current (governance - love that word) or structure.

18. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

BELIEVE your an idiot or you work for the club which is it..... .

19. possm

possm First Grade

I'm a member of St George Leagues Club with full voting rights. The problem is that the whole system is rigged in such a way that the Board Members appoint delegates to the SGI Board.

It is time for the SGI Board to be more transparent and publish Board minutes. It is also time for the St George Leagues Club members to rise up and demand a say on who represents the Club on the SGI Board.

BLM01 likes this.
  20. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

My point exactly. And how do you propose to get that all changed. You have to get on the board which I believe Doust is now gone back to being the Chairman of The St George Leagues Club board or something similar. Possm...it wont change in the near future

Old Kogarah Boy 1 likes this.