What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary lays down law to new recruits

Cagey Mac

Bench
Harden Up!!

1908_young_norwegian_girl_sheep_lambs_stavanger.jpg

getsmarty

Immortal
Origin's still part of McGregor's thinking

By ADRIAN PROSZENKO

May 29, 2014, 9:38 p.m.

Caretaker coach Paul McGregor is keen to return to the Blues camp for Origin II. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

RUGBY LEAGUE

Paul McGregor is desperate to remain a part of the NSW brains trust for Origin II despite his shock appointment as St George Illawarra coach.
The NSW assistant coach said his head was "still spinning" after experiencing an epic Origin victory just days after he was asked to fill the void for friend and sacked Dragons mentor Steve Price in a caretaker capacity.
McGregor said he was unable to commit to the Blues full time because of his increased commitment to the Red V but was hopeful of still being involved in the second interstate match.
"I'd love to," McGregor said.
"It's going to be very hard, I can't be away from the football team I coach every week.
"I'll talk to Laurie, game day and a couple of days if I can fit it in with training and still be a part of it.
"Running the messages on game night, I'd love to.
"It's up to Laurie whether he wants another coach to come in and spend the whole week there.
"It's in Sydney in game II, which makes a bit of a difference. I can come and go and be there on the close out, running the messages.
"We'll regroup when the emotion dies down, have a chat and see how we go."
McGregor, a former NSW player himself, said he was part of "something special" on Wednesday night.
"I was lucky enough to be on some very good support teams through the '90s and that effort through the last 25 minutes was something I was very lucky to be associated with," he said.
"Blokes were turning up to be there. With the lack of field position we had at that time, it was a special moment."
McGregor said he was emotionally drained but would find the energy to prepare the Dragons for their clash against South Sydney on Monday.
"It's been a busy three days, to be honest. My head's a bit choc full at the moment, it's still spinning around," he said.
"There's a lot of people hurt in the whole thing, to be honest, and the only thing I've got is a lack of sleep. That's a lot easier than what a few people are going through.
"It's just day-to-day routine that I've already been doing with Steve, it's just a shame we're not doing it together.
"My hours won't change, I worked long hours with Steve. It's probably less sleep now because of the stress, that's all.
"I've played for the club, I've sweated and bled for the club and now I've basically got to get those blokes to put in in that jumper."
McGregor predicted the Dragons would search for a high-profile coach and that he was only a stop-gap measure.
"My daughter said to me 'You told me you never wanted to be a first-grade coach, dad'. That's the truth, I never had any ambitions to," he said.
"I love being involved with rugby league, I love being involved with the club and I've taken this role out of necessity for the group.
"I look at it week to week. At the moment, I'm the caretaker coach and I think they're looking for an experienced coach anyway.
"I'll do what I need to do and we'll assess it in a bit."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2317415/origins-still-part-of-mcgregors-thinking/?cs=302

TruSaint

Referee
I have been impressed by some of Mary's comments, and I believe his is genuine.

Just hope he doesn't bite off more than he can chew.

It appears he doesn't want to lose the gig with NSW, as a back up. Fair enough I suppose.

IMO, during the next 6 weeks or so, juggling SOO and Dragons commitments will be very telling on the bloke. Time will tell.

pinkmoon

Juniors
McGregor predicted the Dragons would search for a high-profile coach and that he was only a stop-gap measure.
"My daughter said to me 'You told me you never wanted to be a first-grade coach, dad'. That's the truth, I never had any ambitions to," he said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2317415/origins-still-part-of-mcgregors-thinking/?cs=302

I am glad the Dragons are only viewing McGregor as a stop gap measure, but geez its a worry how someone in such a position has so publicly stated how little ambition he has for the role. There are hundreds of budding coaches the UK, NZL, and Australia over, that would love to be in his shoes at the moment; good on the club for managing to find someone without ambition amongst all the potential candidates.

In all serious though, it could in fact be a ploy to take pressure of himself, the players, and the club, by hosing down expectations for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
I am glad the Dragons are only viewing McGregor as a stop gap measure, but geez its a worry how someone in such a position has so publicly stated how little ambition he has for the role. There are hundreds of budding coaches the UK, NZL, and Australia over, that would love to be in his shoes at the moment. Good on the club for managing to find someone without ambition amongst all the potential candidates.

In all serious though, it could in fact be a ploy to take pressure of himself, the players, and the club, by hosing down expectations for the remainder of the season.

Disagree,

I think Mary is keeping his cards close to his chest and sending a message.
Your second paragraph makes better reading IMHO.

He's hedging his bets. If he fails, well then it was a stop gap measure, if he succeeds, then the board will have to review. Doust has stated that " all options are on the table ".

His remarks re SOO make it clear that he won't burn bridges, or else he would have stated something to the effect of " I need to focus on the Club and must forsake the role within the NSW camp".

Personally I dont think Mary is the answer, or anyone else within the establishment of the Club, but he is playing this out well.

He wants the gig, Im sure. But by being so clinical in his comments is sending a message.

Damo!

Juniors
I have been impressed by some of Mary's comments, and I believe his is genuine.

If nothing else, you must admit he is very well spoken. Something we've missed over the last few years.

IMO, during the next 6 weeks or so, juggling SOO and Dragons commitments will be very telling on the bloke. Time will tell.

Might not have much hair by Christmas... Oh, wait.

TruSaint

Referee
If nothing else, you must admit he is very well spoken. Something we've missed over the last few years.

Might not have much hair by Christmas... Oh, wait.

On both counts Damo... correct.
Just hope people can see through his mindset. He's no fool.

pinkmoon

Juniors
No coach worth looking at would want a caretaker role for the rest of the season

I wasn't implying that, I was simply stating that if McGregor has no ambition to coach a FG team, why is he filling the role? It wouldn't be hard to find a coach willing to take any opportunity to further their own credentials (particularly if successful) and experience. It makes me believe that Mary must be telling tall stories is all.

Puff2010

Juniors
Lets be serious here. Who ever took over would most likely be on a hiding to nothing - in the short term.
At least Mary has the Club and team at heart and Im sure will bring some good stewardship to the team, albeit Im not expecting miracles in game 1.
My personal preference would be to bring back Brownie but we've read he'd prefer to go elsewhere. Probably burnt from past experience from our fans. He is older wiser and experienced now and would know how to handle our expectations

Dea

Juniors
I'm a little concerned that Mary keeps talking up continuing the work of Price this year. Price's work this season has been to produce a team that has progressively gotten worse and the captain has publicly acknowledged they are playing without confidence and can't win a game as a result. Understand Mary maybe wanting to say something nice about his mate Price, but the team needs something which Price wasn't able to deliver, not just more of the same "Dragons Footy"

Price was a problem yet the players to me are an even bigger problem to play the way they have has been disgraceful they lack desire and I dare say courage at times Price has gone so the excuses need to stop.

At least with McGregor he'll tell the players exactly how it is he won't mince his words and sugar coat it or I hope he won't.

Its time the players stood up had a look at themselves and take responsibility for what they do on the field if the same results continue then they are the one's who are letting the club, fans and above all themselves down.