What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason release a done deal

Penance

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/mason-release-a-done-deal/2007/11/05/1194117874920.html

Mason release a done deal

Jacquelin Magnay | November 5, 2007

WILLIE Mason has already been told to leave the Bulldogs, and club officials are expecting an official request for a release from the player or his manager within the next 24 hours.
Mason's manager, Greg Keenan, and Bulldogs chairman George Peponis met last Friday. Keenan was told Mason had no future with the Canterbury-based club after his outburst about not being allowed to contest a boxing match and his anger at being threatened with a $50,000 fine for not turning up to a club grand final function.
Peponis gave Mason until Wednesday night's club board meeting to find another team. The compromise came about to give Mason a better bargaining position and to save face by being released rather than face the embarrassment of being sacked by the board.
Mason has told friends he doesn't want to stay at Belmore and is willing to take a massive pay cut on principle.
The club decided to release Mason to free up nearly $1million over the next two years after Mason knocked back an earlier suggestion to spend a year in the UK to ease tensions between himself and club chief executive Malcolm Noad. Mason has been in Melbourne for the spring racing carnival and told reporters he wouldn't return to Sydney until his future was resolved.
It is understood that English club Hull has made Mason an offer in line with his $450,000-a-year salary.
Other NRL clubs, with the exception of North Queensland Cowboys, do not have money under their salary cap to accommodate Mason, and NRL salary cap chief Ian Schubert has warned he would be vigorously examining any domestic deal with Mason, especially if it was dramatically below market value.
Mason rang Roosters coach Brad Fittler about his options but the club has no money under the cap and chief executive Brian Canavan said they would not back-end a contract, which is paying a minimal amount in the first year with a massive payment in other years.
Bulldogs officials have contacted all their players and their managers to determine the validity of Keenan's threat that three or four players would "walk" from the club if Mason left, and they believe that threat to be hollow.
"The players are actually filthy that Willie is dragging their names into his dramas, yet again," a source said. "He has zero support from the players or anyone at the club. No one is sad he is going."
The club is furious that Mason escalated an internal disciplinary matter that had yet to be resolved. Officials had been keen to talk to Mason before the start of pre-Christmas training about his failure to turn up to the grand final function - for the second year - and his absence from a fan day at Belmore Oval, but also his failure to support the club sponsors.
In the middle of the season Mason didn't turn up for a Telstra photo shoot, forcing a lengthy delay and keeping Hazem El Masri and Sonny Bill Williams waiting until a last-minute replacement, Matt Utai, could arrive. Noad's wife, Holly Kramer, is a senior executive at Telstra.
Mason had been fined by the club for his persistent wearing of Champion clothing, a personal sponsor, during team training and during school visits, which had upset club sponsor Nike. Following that fine, Mason was the only player who didn't turn up to sign jerseys that were for distribution to charities.
Source: The Sun-Herald

t-ba

Post Whore
Mason won't go to the UK because no one will listen to him.

Him and Sione would go well together at the Cowboys.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mason is a joke, but where is he going to end up? Is there any fan who actually wants to see this guy at their club?

badav

Bench
Thats what happens when you pay someone with the mental capacity of a 10 year old $450,000 a season, and hand them celebrity status.

Don't get me wrong he's a great player. I am actually a fan of him as a player, but he has ego problems big time.

Having said that. I am also not a fan of journo's who use un named source. I mean to post a pretty explosive quote like "no one is sad he is going" and "he has zero support" and then to label your source as "a source" is amateur.

Charlie124

First Grade
dont even think about it willie, stay below the border.

the only possible way i could be even slightly happy with mason signing with the cowboys is if he replaced faumuina (ie. sione is released, not just dropped). THEN mason would really really have to smarten up......actually just forget it, just stay away.

boonboon

Juniors
Personally cant see willie leaving Sydney - now what that means i am not sure but his support network is in Sydney and more to the point his highly valuable personal sponsorships would need him to play in Sydney

Given that - see Tigers, Dragons , Sharks, eels as the most likely options
Tigers - have space under the cap and have a history of loading deals
Dragns - tried to get jeremy smith and wille and brownie seems like a good combination
Sharks - Ricky is thier and they have some flexibility over the next couple of years with big lumps of thier cap
Eels - unlikely but Micheal Hagan and willie get on well , eels just let pj marsh go and have let a few go end of last yr and quite a few off contrct next year so could be a smokey - oh and are ok with players doing stupid things in the past

boonboon

Juniors
oops forgot the other option

Newcastle Knights - have to have plenty of cash left under the cap - given what they let go and what they picked up and didnt willie origionally come from Newcastle or at least play down thier - plus they are ok with big mouthed players who dont behave as long as they are good

And wouldnt be fun to see the fireworks between Willie and Brian Smith

Changa

Juniors
Don't know if I would want Mason at saints but for what its worth there is a strong possibility saints will be relieving Heady off their hands for good to UK which may free up alot of money but at the moment Mason's future is anyone's guess.

Smartman

Juniors
Good riddance, Willie has created bad headline after bad headline to the club that lasts a lifetime.

See ya bud, great player when he wants to but enormous baggage.

Matt23

Staff member
boonboon said:
oops forgot the other option

Newcastle Knights - have to have plenty of cash left under the cap - given what they let go and what they picked up and didnt willie origionally come from Newcastle or at least play down thier - plus they are ok with big mouthed players who dont behave as long as they are good

And wouldnt be fun to see the fireworks between Willie and Brian Smith
I think the Knights have said no thanks, cant afford him.

PS, can parra afford him?

gong_eagle

First Grade
Cronulla won't sign Mason

Article from:
By Dean Ritchie
November 05, 2007

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=3850674&posted=1#post3850674 FORMER Queensland prop Ben Ross is staying put at Cronulla - ending any chance the club had of landing big Willie Mason.
Sharks officials needed to find Ross - on a deal worth about $400,000 a season - a new club, possibly Hull in England, to free up some money for a crack at Mason.
But Ross has two years remaining on his Sharks deal with manager George Mimis saying: "There has been a lot of speculation about Ben's future for some time now.
"But he has an ongoing contract with the Sharks and is happy to fulfil that.
"There is some interest from other clubs, including the Super League, but it appears unlikely he will be anywhere."
Meanwhile, Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad last night claimed Mason would not be required to attend Wednesday's board meeting.
Mason is holidaying in Melbourne and said at the weekend he would not return for the meeting, where his future will be determined.
Noad and Mason have fallen out, the Test forward seeking to quit the Belmore club.
It had been thought Bulldogs management would demand Mason fly back to Sydney for the meeting but instead he will be at Flemington for tomorrow afternoon's Melbourne Cup.
Noad said: "He's not required on the night. He never has been so we're not expecting him. I can't say too much more because of legal reasons."

Blaze

Juniors
what a tosser. Obviously the Warriors won't sign him, but I would be dissapointed as a fan of any club that gave him a lifeline. He doesn't deserve it.

Inferno

Coach
Just because we can't offload ross doesn't mean we can't pay him a pittance this year and a crapload for the next 2 or 3 years.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
badav said:
Thats what happens when you pay someone with the mental capacity of a 10 year old $450,000 a season, and hand them celebrity status.

Don't get me wrong he's a great player. I am actually a fan of him as a player, but he has ego problems big time.

Having said that. I am also not a fan of journo's who use un named source. I mean to post a pretty explosive quote like "no one is sad he is going" and "he has zero support" and then to label your source as "a source" is amateur.

Not even the biggest f**knut journo is going to sell out a source

The Engineers Room

First Grade
boonboon said:
Eels - oh and are ok with players doing stupid things in the past

What a stupid comment. The Eels are one of the best clubs in their community relations and some isolated incidences in 2006 does not make the club OK with stupid things.

I think the Dragons are a good chance because of cap room and Cronulla are due to Ricky Stuart as coach. The Eels are freeing up money but most will tell you it is to make room for new deals for Hayne and Inu. I think the Tigers are an outside chance at best.

Bigfella

Coach
Mate I think he is actually suggesting that they have a good record with people who have committed indiscretions previously, but turning it around when they come to Parra.

Mind you I can't think of that many TBH ...

Latest posts