What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mason to jets

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If what happened redback? In case you STILL can't read properly - he's going to be playing his contract out with us. He's stated that.

McCrud

Juniors
Timmah said:
If what happened redback? In case you STILL can't read properly - he's going to be playing his contract out with us. He's stated that.

For that statement to be truthful, Mason would have to actually play out the rest of his contract with the Bulldogs because nothing is certain.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why speculate if the man himself has not said so?

Sugar

Bench
Bulldogs pour water on Mason

December 10, 2006 THE Bulldogs have slammed the door on Willie Mason's American football dream amid speculation the New York Jets are set to table an offer for the Test forward.

Returning to Australia on Friday night after a week-long stint with the Jets, Mason revealed his training cameo had only fuelled his desire to make a shock switch to American Football.

But the Bulldogs last night said they would not entertain releasing Mason, who was permitted to visit the Jets on the proviso he would see out the remaining two years of his contract.

"Willie's obviously an exceptional athlete and could ply his trade in any number of sports if he had enough time to learn the skills," a Bulldogs spokesperson said.

"We're happy Willie had the experience, he went with our blessing, but he has two years to run on his contract."

The Jets were impressed with Mason during a 45-minute speed and power session and indicated they would consider offering him a contract.

No financial terms have been discussed, but Mason said he was blown away by the experience and had not ruled out quitting the NRL if he received a deal that was too good to refuse.

"I'm waiting for the Jets to come back to me with an offer and if it's not good enough I won't even look at it. But if it's something that will change my life and make me a hell of a lot more money, I'm not going to ignore it. No way," Mason said.

"After going over there, I'm more excited about the game than ever. It's a different world over there. You don't understand until you've seen their facilities and how they operate.

"Watching the guys train was unbelievable.

"At least I won't die wondering if something happens. I'm not the sort of guy to sit back and give up a chance. If the Jets give me an inkling they want me over there, I would certainly look at it.

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Mason admits the Bulldogs would be irate with any attempt to rescind his current deal with the club.

"It would be a hard transition for me and it would be the toughest decision of my career to leave," he said.

"I'm very settled with the Bulldogs and the Jets understand that. They would have to pay a lot of money to get me over there, I wouldn't go over there for a rookie wage.

"But if it is a ridiculous amount of money, the decision is mine. At the end of the day, I have to make the best decision for me. If I decide to go over, it's my call.

legend

Coach
What can the Dogs do to Willie? They can't make him play and an offer is on the way from the Jets I can assure you.

The Dogs can sue Willie for breach of contrct but his NFL offer would cover everything ten times over.

Willie has done pretty much all you can do in league and if he wants to play NFL, he has to go now so he will not see out the remainder of his contract if the Jets offer is right.

nqboy

First Grade
mattyg said:
three years. check it before you act hard on the internet rabbitohboy

chewme said:
Bulldogs pour water on Mason

"Willie's obviously an exceptional athlete and could ply his trade in any number of sports if he had enough time to learn the skills," a Bulldogs spokesperson said.

"We're happy Willie had the experience, he went with our blessing, but he has two years to run on his contract."
Sorry, I've no idea how I got confused with a Bulldogs spokesman quoted one way and an internet nuffy claiming another :roll:

Timmah said:
Why speculate if the man himself has not said so?

chewme said:
No financial terms have been discussed, but Mason said he was blown away by the experience and had not ruled out quitting the NRL if he received a deal that was too good to refuse.?

Noa

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
Don't get me wrong. i like Willie Mason. He's a fantastic rugby league player and a real character but I reckon he'd get snapped in half playing NFL!

Not really. Defensive players (which he would be) are hardly ever the victims of being jacked up. Only happens if there blindsided by a huge block. And he could handle it.

As for his current contract with the Doggies, essentially he'd be retiring from league so he'd have no obstacles at all.

nqboy

First Grade
Noa Nandruku said:
As for his current contract with the Doggies, essentially he'd be retiring from league so he'd have no obstacles at all.
And we're back to the question I asked about what's stopping Inglis joining yawnyawn even though he's signed long-term to Rugby League. The wanna-be lawyers on here assured us that it would still be a breach of contract. Dunno whether that's true or not, just what they said.

Latest posts