What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason wants to follow NFL dream

Danish

Referee
Special K said:
Really? Wow thanks for the insight. But considering they sent videos of him against Bowen in origin and the fact he loves the spot light so he wouldn't play defence I'd assume he would want to play some as unrealistic as the dream of playing in the NFL. I also think he'd get rolled at TE.

Could you imagine Willie playing the TE and running routes then being co ordinated to catch the ball in traffic without being worried of being smashed? I doubt if he could even remember the plays given his ADD ;-).

Will never happen so why talk about it?

He's being looked at as an OT. You know, one of the top 3 paid positions in the game.

Why do you keep persisting with this running back idea??

Mr Saab

Referee
Special K said:
Really? Wow thanks for the insight. But considering they sent videos of him against Bowen in origin and the fact he loves the spot light so he wouldn't play defence I'd assume he would want to play some as unrealistic as the dream of playing in the NFL. I also think he'd get rolled at TE.

Could you imagine Willie playing the TE and running routes then being co ordinated to catch the ball in traffic without being worried of being smashed? I doubt if he could even remember the plays given his ADD ;-).

Will never happen so why talk about it?

So why did you mention RB? He doesnt have the build for a running back.
Jerome Bettis is 6'2 250-260 and he was a rare breed...but he has a lower centre of gravity than Mason. Most running backs are 5'10, 220...not 6'5 250.
Willie wants the spotlight? There are 100s of players in the NFL who are bigger show ponies than Willie who thrive off the spotlight.

Wow, tapes of him running over a 5'7 80kg player...hmmm yeah thats real impressive. If they showed tapes of him running over a Webcke or Bailey then it would be impressive. Last time i looked defensive linesman were not 5'7 80kgs....those guys are place kickers.

But as you correctly said...Willie is not playing in the NFL...ever.

Nonny1980

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Tight end would be ideal for him!, if he gave this position a go he'd make it, alot of tight ends i see are no where as agile or have the speed Willie posses.
I'd like to see Hoppa go up against a tight end. Now that would be a contest!

LESStar58

Referee
For the love of the game I hope Big Willie stays in the NRL for as long as possible.

Tremendous player. I have the greatest respect for him as an athlete and hope to god he doesn't go get all padded up!

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
I read this today and although I'm sure I should be worried and angry, etc. etc. especially as a Dogs fan, I've really got no problem with it.

At least he isn't following the rest of the tossers and going to Rugby Union.

I mean, I'd love to see him stay in the NRL, but at least it will force me to watch the NFL - therefore providing another sport to watch!

I think he's an awesome player but I also think good for him. If he has a dream to play NFL, then best of luck to him.

Mal Meninga

Bench
He'd lack the natural instincts that most in the NFL have. No denying Mason is a great athlete, but I don't think he'd stand out in the NFL based on athleticism. His best bet would be fullback, but I doubt Willie would want to play that.

rugged

Juniors
Wonder if the NRL would come in with some "extra" third party money at the 11th hour if he did have an NFL contract to sign?

JJ

Immortal
they wouldn't touch him - too much learning to do, just as was the case with Jonah Lomu

Bumble

First Grade
fatshark said:
Yeah sounds great, I can see it now."Willie,hold onto the guy next to you for 5 seconds, thats it". Big challenge!

Wow, that sounds pretty easy...I think I'll go do that and get a multi-million dollar contract...because it sounds so simple!:roll: :roll:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Jonah Lomu was once considering an offer in his hey day, i think from the Giants.

He would've made it!

aqua_duck

Coach
Danish said:
He's being looked at as an OT. You know, one of the top 3 paid positions in the game.
Hmmmm O lineman, not sure how he'd go TBH at 6'5, 255Ibs or 116kg, most O lineman are atleast 6'6, 300Ibs or 136kg, plus Willie would have to learn it from scratch. Everyone thinks his athletism and size would get him over the line but there are hundreds Willie Mason's playing gridiron. At the moment Willie is 26 years old, 195cm and 116kg, or something like that, benches 180kg, squats 220kg and runs 40m in 4.9 seconds. There's a tightend who was picked up in this years NFL draft by the name of Vernon Davis who's 22 years old, stands 192cm weighs 116kg, benches 208kg, squats 310kg, runs 40yards in 4.38 seconds and has a vertical leap of over 1m (which compares admirably to skinny AFL players).

Parra_Eels

Bench
the post above makes the best point - college players bust their gut right from high school to make it over there - point being willie is near the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to potentialy being drafted