What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mat Rogers to the Titans

legend

Coach
Apparently it was just announced on 2UE. It would be a massive coup for the Titans and would only leave Tuqiri in Union and he'll be back after next year anyway.

Gary Flowers must be pleased.:lol:

Caged Panther

First Grade
somebody get me the number of the titans accountant please!!!

I didn't here the report but am told the figure of $600 000 was bandied around. Presumably this was over a few years. Though my opening statment still stands.

legend

Coach
They were given a salary cap concession for signing the love child of Kim Beazley and Patrick Swayze in Kris Kahler.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
According to their own media, Titans have a 'massive announcement' tomorrow.

t-ba

Post Whore
Who needs Lote or Mat when you've got star RL converts like Sheehan, Elsom and Palu?

nqboy

First Grade
Surely not. How would they fit him in under the SC? And the Gold Coast is not nearly big enough for his ego.

legend

Coach
I'll guess we'll find out tomorrow but it would be big news for the game and the Gold Coast and anything that's a kick in the guts to Rugby suits me just fine.

Front-Rower

First Grade
nqboy said:
Surely not. How would they fit him in under the SC? And the Gold Coast is not nearly big enough for his ego.

I hope Mr Schubert gets hold of their books. If they pay him $600, 000 a year as alledgedly reported, they must be paying peanuts for Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey, Prince, Laffranchi, Brian Carney.....

legend

Coach
It sure is an impressive lineup but are there any concessions in place for bringing players across from Rugby to League?

Dread

Juniors
I might cry.

Titans, you rock. If I wasn't such a self-hating fool, supporting the Sharks, I'd jump ship straight away. Sadly, I'm a complete masochist with a taste for self punishment. I hope Matty Rogers goes good for yas.

Razor

Coach
It sure is an impressive lineup but are there any concessions in place for bringing players across from Rugby to League?

I believe it only applies to players that played all their football with Union, and didn't play League initially - in order to combat rorting with players switching then coming back to the same club after a few games of Union.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I guess this kind of a homecoming for him after he grew up there.

I'd also find it really hard to believe that he'd give up a chance to play in the 2007 RUWC when he's probably a good chance to play a few games or more in France.

Charlie124

First Grade
Geezuz! are the Titans at $1.15 to win the premiership next year?

How can they possibly fit him under the cap if this is true?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
I'd also find it really hard to believe that he'd give up a chance to play in the 2007 RUWC when he's probably a good chance to play a few games or more in France.

Why ?

He's already been to one world cup, he was in the thick of it.

He would of seen first hand how tiny and insignificant RU really is worldwide.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
legend said:
We'll wait for the detail but you may have hit the nail on the head.
We'll see what its about tomorrow. In that's the case, its very smart management and the Titans continue to pull off these coups.

look ultimately I think he is HIGHLY over-rated, he is a winger and wasn't even in a rep side when he left..

BUT, this has the ability to derail the Wallabies as he is a pretty key player for them (which shows what a joke the sport is), so WOO!

Bring back Lote and then lets go after the rest of what they have....Will they even have enough quality players to fill 4 tiers of the code? hahahahahahahah

dimitri

First Grade
Willow said:
We'll wait for the detail but you may have hit the nail on the head.
We'll see what its about tomorrow. In that's the case, its very smart management and the Titans continue to pull off these coups.

the concession only applies to players under 21

my guess is that there is some sort of legal third party arrangement under the salary cap

eg local company who has no affiliation with titans, pays him $x to play for the titans.

just a guess